Frezing meat?

weoochaun
Beginner
Beginner

Frezing meat?

Post by weoochaun » Wed May 29, 2013 19:36

I understand that freezing pork is detrimental to a ham but wondered if it would have any affect on sausages.[/code]
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed May 29, 2013 19:49

Hi,
You will find that almost every member here freezes pork for later use, including myself.
We all stock up when pork comes on special.
All the brains on the forum will advise you no doubt how to use frozen pork.
Good Luck,
Jan.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed May 29, 2013 19:59

IMO, I think the problem with freezing pork come in when you go to cure a whole ham in a brine. I recently thawed out a large ham for three days and when I began cutting it up the center most portion was still frozen. I think this could mess you up if you were curing it. Don't think it would be a disaster just maybe an uneven cure.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 29, 2013 21:34

Butterbean wrote:IMO, I think the problem with freezing pork come in when you go to cure a whole ham in a brine. I recently thawed out a large ham for three days and when I began cutting it up the center most portion was still frozen. I think this could mess you up if you were curing it. Don't think it would be a disaster just maybe an uneven cure.
Those meat thermometers work on cold meat too. I often stab one into a piece that i am thawing to check the progress.
Ross- tightwad home cook
weoochaun
Beginner
Beginner

Post by weoochaun » Thu May 30, 2013 01:58

Thanks for the replies. I read somewhere that freezing pork will alter the texture of ham and therefore it is preferable not to do it. I understand about the pros of freezing, cost, trich: but all things being equal it would yield a better final product if the pork had not been frozen.

I just wondered if there was any correlating effect on sausages. From the replies, I presume there is none or very insignificant.

Thanks
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu May 30, 2013 02:11

I can't tell any difference between the two but then again I will make enough mistakes along the way that starting with a good or bad cut of meat is irrelevant.
weoochaun
Beginner
Beginner

Post by weoochaun » Thu May 30, 2013 02:27

Butterbean wrote: I will make enough mistakes along the way that starting with a good or bad cut of meat is irrelevant.
:lol: Me too. Every time it seems!
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Thu May 30, 2013 03:41

Butterbean wrote:I can't tell any difference between the two but then again I will make enough mistakes along the way that starting with a good or bad cut of meat is irrelevant.
I resemble that remark. :shock:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu May 30, 2013 07:39

weoochaun wrote:Thanks for the replies. I read somewhere that freezing pork will alter the texture of ham and therefore it is preferable not to do it. I understand about the pros of freezing, cost, trich: but all things being equal it would yield a better final product if the pork had not been frozen.

I just wondered if there was any correlating effect on sausages. From the replies, I presume there is none or very insignificant.

Thanks
I can't tell much difference one way or the other. One thing I make sure to do is save the blood from the frozen porkbutt after it's thawed and pour it back into the grind before mixing, that will make a difference. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”