[AUSL] Paprika and Garlic Smoked Sausage

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 21:09

Kangaroo meat is expensive here as well in the shops. The shooters get 20 cents per kilo and the middlemen share the 2000% mark-up.
It doesn't sell very well though but as dog food it is quite popular.
I still prefer a decent Tea bone over some famous Chef inspired undercooked bit of roo.
Regards,
Jan.
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 01:39

Chuckwagon wrote:There is no black pepper
CW, definitely NO pepper in this pork sausage. As for Spanish paprika, render is its best use !

Regards,
Gus
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 08:26

Gus,
Spanish Paprika here is used a lot in sausages selling for $ 1.99 per kilo. Not only are they real crap to eat, they also block your arteries.
What we as forum members make with proper Hungarian Paprika is superior and actually good for you.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jun 23, 2013 16:20

Chuckwagon wrote: If I may add my 2 cents worth here, I`d say use only, and I mean ONLY... Hungarian paprika for this sausage. Don`t even think about the other type.
Hang on there, Dude! I happen to like Aleppo paprika quite a bit.

A question about rendering, though. Don't you set loose some free-flowing fat if you render your spices. In Indian cooking, they very much advocate dry-roasting many spices, then rendering them in oil, to release the maximum (and best) flavor. ...but nobody advocates greasy sausages. What's a good compromise? (Inquiring minds... you know.)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.