Ross's Maryland Bakery

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jan 10, 2014 06:34

"My pet peeve is posts without recipes."

Beautiful piece of work Ross, just great! The direction you give to accompany your posts means so much to someone like me who's just started out on this venture. A picture of sausage, ham, bread, or smoked anything is without a recipe and direction really nothing more that just a picture. Thanks so much for your guidance and all you do for this site. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jan 10, 2014 14:51

Bob K wrote:That is a fine looking loaf of rye bread Bob! Why not post the ingredients and baking directions? RAY

Ray - I already did, its back on page 15. http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... &start=210!
Went back and found the recipe, absolutely great job on the illustration and direction. The explanation and links to "starter" are really well done and helpful too, thanks Bob. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Starter Questions

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jan 10, 2014 15:55

After watching this video,

http://www.thebreadkitchen.com/recipes/ ... ad-recipe/,

all reservations about making a sourdough rye starter have been quelled, seems easy enough. I really like her video presentations, she seems to incorporate the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method for folks just like me. My questions about starter are:
1. How long does it keep in the fridge
2. How often does the starter need to be fed
3. How much does the starter need to be fed

As it takes four days and a couple of cups of rye flour just to get started with the starter, I don't know that I'd be making that kind of bread often enough to warrant the expense and dilly-dally of maintaining the starter if it doesn't last a long time. Like, forever! RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 10, 2014 16:23

Ray , you can very successfully scale a starter back in size. I usually start out with a half cup of flour and add to that to make as much as I need for a recipe. The little bit left in the jar gets a measure of water and a good shake and goes into the fridge until the next time I plan to make some sour rye bread.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 10, 2014 19:49

Ray-

1. How long does it keep in the fridge
2. How often does the starter need to be fed
3. How much does the starter need to be fed

1. Indefinitely, for example the San Francisco sourdough starter has been going since the 1800's. I have my starter for 4 or 5 years now

2. I only feed it when I make rye, maybe once a month

3. I just recharge the jar (remains of the last batch)

More info here: http://www.sourdo.com/activation-instru ... s-english/
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 11, 2014 03:13

Thank you both for the info, I'm going to make a little batch and give it a shot in a week or so. I usually make of couple of loaves of rye in the spring for St Patty's Day corned beef and Easter ham sannys, and then not all that often afterwards. Summer and fall hunting season are for burger buns and sausage rolls, that is now locked in tight. I really like the site I posted and the videos with written recipes below. I might also give Titli's Polish Rye Bread a go, I like her style. Now we home in on the best football weekend of the year looking for the mighty Niners to overcome the hated Panthers from Carolina. Monday I pick up a pork-belly that'll be turning into Sons of Bees bacon about the time the Niners are playing for the NFC championship nine days from now. Oooo, Monday I get my hips x-ray'd too, time to start planning the exchange of major body parts. RAY
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 03:49

Ray,
If you are talking about hip replacements, they are easy, quick and much less painful than full knee replacements. The best thing is: you are wondering afterwards why they didn't do them years ago.
Good Luck Mate,
Jan
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 11, 2014 04:12

Yeah Jan, it's really just a question of whether the right or left one gets replaced first. I figure nothing will happen till about mid-April so I'm going to have a little fun before it all comes down. Eagles concert, Mexico, hog hunt, then a new hip or two! RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 11, 2014 04:54

Some of the results depend on how much wear and tear the body has endured elsewhere. I complained that I didn't have anywhere near the endurance that I had ten years ago and the doctor said well you are getting pretty close to middle age.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 11, 2014 19:41

Whatever the recovery period is I'm sure mine will be accelerated by the prospect of having to dine on my wifes cooking. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 11, 2014 19:57

They had me on my feet and walking the next morning after surgery in the afternoon. You just aren't going to be running stairs the first month.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Hot dog buns

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 24, 2014 02:24

In my quest for a proper homemade hot dog bun I have lot of bread that didn't work well for the purpose but today I believe that I have achieved success. The recipe is somewhat complex first cook 2 ounce of all purpose flour in 6 ounces of milk and 10 ounces of water until thickened. cool that mixture to 110 degrees and add 7 ounces of water and a teaspoon of yeast add this mixture to 19 ounces of all purpose flour and 5 ounces of whole wheat flour and add 1 ounce of lard and a half tablespoon of salt. Mix , knead and shape at the appropriate times and bake 35 minutes at 360° F .

They are a couple of inches too long but the diameter is about right, We had some for supper and the bite is tender, the taste is pleasing and neutral.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 03:44

Ross, I made your "buns" recipe yesterday and they turned out amazing. When I opened the oven, they were just perfect. The texture is wonderful and the crust is just right. You are the man! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jan 24, 2014 20:57

Those buns look perfect and just the right size, I make most of my sausage right at 8". RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 24, 2014 21:40

Those were shaped at about an inch in diameter.
Ross- tightwad home cook