[USA] Bangers, Brats & Breakfast Sausages

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Bangers, Brats & Breakfast Sausages

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 15:12

This fourth of July, I had a request from my sons to make some brats to grill. Since I had a boneless 15lb butt thawed & ready to go, I thought I'd split it up and make several different sausages besides the Brats. So I ground up the butt & divided it up into three large bowls and made three different sausages. ( I was unable to take many photos this time as the wife had the camera to capture the local parades & events around town. :cry: )

I was able to take a 'final' shot of the trio: All stuffed...

All three are fairly simple recipes-Nothing too exotic nor special preparations necessary. They got a thumbs-up during the 'tasting portion' (pre-stuffing) from my son. Anyways, I was very pleased at how all three came out. I think you`ll be happy with the results if you decide to give them a try.

Kevin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'Jimmy Dean-Style' came about after trying several recipes, trial & error & choosing ingredients that work well in a good breakfast sausage. Previously, I missed the mark on breakfast sausages, but these come pretty close to the Jimmy Dean flavor profile.

Jimmy Dean-like Breakfast Links
(makes 5 pounds)
5 lb pork butt, ground
36g kosher salt (about 5 tsp)
1.0 g ground sage (little over a tsp)
2g red pepper flakes (add more to your taste)
2g thyme leaves (little over a tsp)
3g black pepper (1.5 tsp)
2.5g ground coriander ( (little over a tsp)
Optional: 1/3 cup real maple syrup**
**I find it too sweet & dont add it.
20-24 Sheep casings (or make a large chub to slice!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The English Bangers were a favorite of my son BEFORE he was diagnosed with celiac two years ago. Most bangers contain some rusk or wheat/gluten filler, so the version I made was GF (gluten-free). Really nice flavor, mild with a nice hint of ginger & sage.

GF English Breakfast Bangers
(makes 5 pounds)
5 lb pork butt, ground
2 tbl Kosher Salt (44g)
2 tsp ground sage
1.5 tsp white Pepper
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp Mace
4 slices bread* (toasted & ground-up in processor)
1.5 cups water or chicken broth
32mm Pork casings; tied off into 3-4" lengths.
* I used gluten-free bread

Mix all ingredients until a nice sticky paste is formed. Then stuff into casings or make patties.

These brats are a combination of flavors that work well for a savory sausage that is good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If using FRESH rosemary, be conservative in the amount used & taste to adjust if necessary. Great with kraut or fried potatoes!

Cheddar Bratwurst
(makes 5 pounds)
5 lb pork butt, ground
5 tsp Kosher Salt
5 tsp sugar
1 Tbl Ground Coriander
1 Tbl Ground Sage
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp fresh Rosemary, finely chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
1 tbl Dry Mustard
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Nutmeg
8 oz Cheddar cheese, cubed in 1/4" pieces
1 cup cold water
32mm Pork casings; tied off into 6" lengths.

Mix all ingredients (except cheese) until a sticky paste forms. Gradually mix in the cheese cubes until they are thoroughly distributed. Stuff into 32mm casings. Grill or fry.
Last edited by NorCal Kid on Sat Jul 07, 2012 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Thu Jul 05, 2012 16:36

Thanks for these recipes, Kevin. They look awesome!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Jul 05, 2012 16:44

Kevin - thanks, I'm saving all 3 recipes. Question: did you use high temp cheddar in the cheddar bratwurst? I have always wondered if that is a must.

Jeff
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:12

Cabonaia wrote:Kevin - thanks, I'm saving all 3 recipes. Question: did you use high temp cheddar in the cheddar bratwurst? I have always wondered if that is a must.

Jeff
Jeff, I've only used regular cheese in my sausages; never the hi-temp stuff. If one cooks the sausage at med-high temps, the cheese doesn't 'bleed out' as much. If having the cheese intact is critical- maybe for meat sticks & the like, I see no problem going with the hi-temp stuff. I personally have never used it, and many have with good results. Whenever I make the choice to add cheese, I use whatever I have on-hand. Maybe I'll order some just to try and compare.

Kevin
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:50

Kevin - thanks. That's what I was hoping you would say! I don't really want to buy the hi-temp stuff. Just another thing to mail away for, plus I don't know what's in it.

One of the challenges of sausage making is to keep postage costs down! We all ought to encourage our local beer/winemaking supply stores to start stocking sausage supplies as well. :idea: !

Cheers,
Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 06:32

Nice goin' Kevin... again!
Ol' pal, you should be doing this for a living... but people would knock your door down! :smile:
I'll put your recipes in the MRI by Sunday. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
btedeski
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btedeski » Fri Jul 06, 2012 15:09

>> One of the challenges of sausage making is to keep postage costs down! We all ought
>> to encourage our local beer/winemaking supply stores to start stocking sausage
>> supplies as well.

I guess I am lucky then I seem to have 2 sausage supply companies about 1/2 hour drive from my house.

http://www.conyeagerspice.com
http://stores.pghspice.com
btedeski
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btedeski » Fri Jul 06, 2012 15:15

High Temp Cheese

>> plus I don't know what's in it.

here is what I found, I have not verified it,

>> 'high temp cheese' is a non-dairy product, made in China,
>> essentially (or supposedly) made from soy.

>> Grate aged cheddar (or other cheese) with an equal amount of grated,
>> extra firm tofu. Pack the well mixed result into a loaf pan and refrigerate for 72
>> hours. Remove the loaf and cut into 1/4" cubes. Allow it to ripen at room temp for 24
>> hours then dust with flour and freeze before using in sausage.
>> You now have 'high temp cheese!'
>> Tofu is truly a miracle food. It's not only nutritious on its own but takes on the
>> flavour of anything it's paired with, without taking away from the flavour of the
>> original product.

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:07

Thanks for the recipe - I am going to have to try it. I also enthused about the conyeagerspice link. Free shipping for orders over $35 - that's great! I have to buy all my sausage ingredients online, and the shipping really hurts. You're lucky to live so near suppliers.

jeff
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 17:25

Hey Kevin - I made your Jimmy Dean style breakfast links, except for the link part (I stuffed it into chubs for slicing off patties). Turned out fantastic! Thanks for a great formula. This will become a regular at our house.

Notes: I used fresh sage. I'm not sure exactly what type is growing in our garden, but it is pretty strong. Normally the advice is to use 2x - 3x fresh in place of dried herbs. I used the same amount your recipe called for in dry form. It came through just right. Also, did not use the maple syrup.

Cheers,
Jeff
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Jul 25, 2012 18:12

Hey Jeff

I'm glad it turned out for you! My sons love this recipe.

Fresh sage is great...so long as one uses the right amount. I've ruined a few batches of sage sausage because the fresh stuff from our garden is SO strong, it just overwhelms. I've since learned to have a 'light' hand when using it. :wink:

Kevin
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 18:31

Aha! So you noticed the same thing. Rules of thumb, such as doubling/tripling fresh for dried, seem, like thumbs, made to be broken.

Waiting for your book - "100 Illustrated Sausage Recipes by Nor-Cal Kid"

(no, I'm not kidding)
dauber

Post by dauber » Sat Feb 08, 2014 17:29

Hey NorCal Kid. I made the brats last night. Did not have dry mustard, but read conversion from prepared to dry and used it. Flavor was still lacking so added some garlic (I'm Italian so garlic goes with everrything, right?). Best brats we've had. Thanks!