Pre-tubed casings, good price?

Tasso
User
User

Pre-tubed casings, good price?

Post by Tasso » Sat May 10, 2014 20:43

These 32-35mm pretubed casings are only $20.83 for an entire hank of 100 yards. That seems like an incredibly good deal, if I'm understanding it right. Has anyone tried these from Walton's in Wichita, Kansas?

http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-608-32-35mm ... sings.aspx
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 10, 2014 22:44

Tasso, you wrote:
These 32-35mm pretubed casings are only $20.83 for an entire hank of 100 yards. That seems like an incredibly good deal, if I'm understanding it right. Has anyone tried these from Walton's in Wichita, Kansas?
Yikes! Another supply company lists the same casing at $22.99 for less than half that amount. (It`s listed at $22.99 for enough to stuff only 50 lbs. of sausage (they don`t tell you how long it is). At that rate, their price for the same 110 lbs. amounts to $50.55.
In other words, the other company is charging .46 cents per yard, while Walton's is charging only .19 cents per yard. Wow! That's quite a differentce alright. :razz:

Yeah! I`d say that`s a good deal. :shock: Thanks for the tip, Tasso.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat May 10, 2014 22:59

I was checking the other site out and thought the exact same thing, and the reviews for these tubed casings were quite positive. I did notice it said they needed to be refrigerated, and being tubed they'd seem to have to take up quite a bit of fridge space. Two garage freezers, only one fridge in the house, won't work for me. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sat May 10, 2014 23:26

I just hope it's not a misprint on their website. Their price on a regular hank of 32-35mm is $19.13, which is also a good deal. But one wonders why the price for a pre-tubed hank would be only $1.70 more than for the regular hank. If something sounds to good to be true ...

If anyone on this forum has ever ordered the pre-tubed casings from them before, I hope they'll see this thread and chime in.

BTW, the prices on their small-bore collagen casings seem pretty good too, particularly the 21mm fresh. A little better than several other online stores.
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun May 11, 2014 03:11

That does seem like a good deal.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sun May 11, 2014 03:45

Hello Blackriver. Yes, even with a shipping cost of $6.95 from Kansas to Texas bringing the total cost to $27.78, it's a great deal for a whole hank of pre-tubed casings.

I noticed that Syracuse offers the same thing (a whole hank of 32-35mm in dry-salt, dry-salt tubed, pre-flushed, and pre-flushed tubed) for $34.95, with free shipping. That's $7.17 more than Walton's. That makes Syracuse the second best in terms of price that I have found for pre-tubed casings. I know that people speak very highly of Syracuse, and they sell casings from American hogs, so it may be worth the extra $7 for a lot of people. I'm really looking for low cost at this point, so I will probably end up going with Walton's.
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun May 11, 2014 20:35

Tasso, I use Syracuse casing company for all my hog casings, they are 100% from America, and they offer 24 hour support for any questions you have. I am very happy with the end result. I use the pre flushed tubed, which are so simple to use, just wash salt off with warm water, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then stuff. For me the extra cost is worth it.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Mon May 12, 2014 20:06

I emailed Walton's Inc about the pre-tubed hank for $20.83, and I got a prompt and very cordial response back from them. It is indeed 100 yards of 32-35mm on sleeves. I placed an order, and within 20 minutes I was emailed a UPS tracking number for my order. Shipping price was very reasonable, too.

Based on the prices I'd seen for pre-tubed casings from other suppliers, I was planning on buying a regular dry-salted or brine-packed hank. But considering the price, it made sense for me to give these a try.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Wed May 14, 2014 04:30

The casings arrived today. That was FAST! Only 1 day UPS ground shipping from Wichita Kansas to Dallas.

The casings were double bagged in plastic, not sealed, just tied with a knot. Inside the plastic bags, there was a net bag containing twelve sleeves loaded with casings. The total weight of the casings and the plastic sleeves they are loaded on is 1 lb 7.5 oz. The casings look and smell fresh. There was a very small amount of water or brine inside the innermost plastic bag, but just an ounce or so, not enough to keep the casings preserved for long term.

Am I correct that the proper way to store the sleeves is in a saturated salt brine?

Does this look like about a hank (100 yards)?

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed May 14, 2014 08:43

Yup! A "hank" is called a "bundle" in some places. It is 91 meters long and a "hank" of 38 m.m. casing will allow you to stuff about 60 kgs. (132 lbs.) of meat. Beef casing is tougher than hog casing and consequently, it should be soaked a little longer during preparation. Beef casing also becomes a bit "slimey" when fermented. No problem, just wipe it down with a damp cloth.
Store them in a saturated salt solution. Almost a watery "thin slush" is ideal. Be careful to never allow them to freeze! :shock:
Man o' man, that's a great price for a pre-tubed hank!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu May 15, 2014 20:25

Got a price from my place up in Buffalo; Pork Casings, bundle, 32-35 mm $13.99, Sheep casings 21-22 mm, bundle $29.99. Seems like the lowest price I seen om the pork casings. Never used sheep casings $29.99 seems pretty good to me. Worth to send one of my sons to grab a couple of hanks of sheep casings? I used collagen when I made my pepper sticks. Pork Butts, 75 lb. box $2.36 a lb. (Restaurant Depot had boneless butts $1.99) Pork loin .25" fat boneless $2.69 Thanks, Fred :cool:
Just a reference to what prices are over by You.
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Fri May 16, 2014 04:09

$13.99 for a hank of 32-35mm is the lowest price I've heard of. That is a great deal, Krakowska. What is the name of this place? How are the casings packaged, dry in salt, in a wet brine, or pre-tubed? If pre-tubed, then it's outstanding!

I got boneless butts at Costco a couple of days ago for $2.35 a pound. Just about three weeks ago they were $1.89 a pound. I should have bought them then.

Now, back to the pre-tubed 32-35mm casings...

If you have a Whole Foods store near you, you may want to check them out. It's possible that they may have the BEST price on pre-tubed 32-35mm casings, even better than Walton's.

The 32-35mm pre-tubed casings that I bought from Walton's in Wichita Kansas cost $20.83 for a hank. With the cost of shipping, my total came to $27.78. I weighed the twelve sleeves of casings and they weighed 23.5 ounces. That's the weight of the casings and sleeves combined, and since some sleeves have more casing on them than others, it may not be a constant number of sleeves from one order to the next. But in this case, it works out to $1.18 per ounce of combined sleeves and casings. Since shipping is a factor, your cost per ounce may be different.

Whole Foods uses pre-tubed 32-35mm casings for the sausages they make in their stores. They will sell them to you for $13.99 a pound. That works out to $0.87 per ounce of combined sleeves and casings. I'm making an assumption that the plastic sleeves are the same size and weight as the ones from Walton's. I haven't actually seen the ones from Whole Foods, so I don't know about that for sure. But if they are equivalent, then buying 32-35mm pre-tubed casings from Whole Foods, in any convenient amount you want, is most likely the best price you'll find for them anywhere.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Fri May 16, 2014 04:58

The name of the place is Wills Poultry Tasso. It is a meat packing/poultry outfit in Buffalo. I know they do not ship over the internet. When I lived up there it was one of the cash and carry wholesale outfits open to the public. I have no problem with the pork casings, when I get up north I usually bring a couple of hanks with me back down. Here is the link to the place I got the prices from http://net3.necs.com/willpoultry/site/c ... view=class. Never knew of so many products. Very informative and interesting. Thanks for the info Tasso. Much appreciated. Fred :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 17:43

Sprouts Farmers Market sells the pre-tubed casings if you ask at the meat counter. Not sure of the exact price, but each piece is just over $2. Looking at their locator map it seems they are growing quickly.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Tue Sep 23, 2014 01:18

There are plenty of Sprouts around here too. I didn't know the made sausage. I have been there once or twice, and it seems like a nice store.

It's probably worthwhile to ask at any grocery or meat shop in your area that makes sausage if they'll sell you some casings. I bet most will.