Can someone clear this up for me

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Can someone clear this up for me

Post by markjass » Sun Nov 09, 2014 08:58

A couple of years ago I decided to make the Jadgwurst (German Hunter`s sausage) sausage. The recipe is online and also in Stan M`s book. It is a 50-50 mix of pork butt and lean fresh bacon. I got it in my head that the lean fresh bacon meant pork belly bacon (cured, smoked and cooked).

I have made it a couple of times and really like it. Anyway a while back I was chatting with a good mate of mine, who comes from a German farming background. He loved the sausage, but then said did you use fresh pork belly - err no. . Anyway I have been wondering if Stan meant fresh pork belly. To me it does not really matter because I like my version of the Jadgwurst that I make.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:48

I just received Marianski's book last week and have been going thru it, seems like a nice compliment to the bible Rytek set forth so many years back. He could be talking fresh pork belly, or he could be talking belly bacon cured and smoked, tho I really doubt it being cooked for use in this sausage, I didn't see that anywhere. Chris and Bob will know more about it, maybe get a clarification from Stan himself! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:39

Mark-
If it this recipe: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... /jadgwurst

He means fresh uncured pork belly.

If you wish to substitute (cured) bacon you should use less cure #1
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:46

Thanks Bob. I thought so. So that is how sausages evolve.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Sun Nov 09, 2014 13:15

Therefore, we must quickly make translation and begin to distribute video technology. :D
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Sun Nov 09, 2014 13:25

I for one can't wait for the videos!
Jan L
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Nov 09, 2014 15:54

Bob K wrote:Mark-
If it this recipe: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... /jadgwurst

He means fresh uncured pork belly.

If you wish to substitute (cured) bacon you should use less cure #1
Ditto that. Believe me, you do not want to make it with cured bacon unless you are wanting a salt lick. I have to admit I did this. I thought something was awry but I plugged on and ended up with some inedible sausage. :oops:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 09, 2014 17:29

We had a discussion about this somewhere here already. Marianski should have used the term pork belly or side pork. It started with his translation of the Polish word boczek as bacon. And that is only partially correct, since in Polish it means the cut we know as pork belly or side pork, but Poles also use the term for smoked and cured bacon.

Many people have been confused by this and it looks like he made the change in the online version of the recipe.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Nov 09, 2014 17:54

Yes, we did discuss it - about two years ago I think and that was the explanation in the terminology.

When I mad mine the little alarms went off in my head but I plugged on and made a batch since I had a lot of miscellaneous bacon pieces. Glad Mark's version turned out better than mine.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:35

I have always considered bacon as a product and pork belly as a particular cut. So when we get the term FRESH bacon I consider it to be mixed terminology and the writer would probably call for cured and smoked bacon alternatively. For small batches I would use a skin side slab from a butt for a substitute for fresh belly.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 23:55

I used cooked ham chucks once in one of my adventures and found it to be acceptable. I have seen where some people cure the chucks for the right number of days. As far as I;m concerned I just took a short cut. It all tasted good and everyone wanted more.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 10, 2014 19:02

ssorllih wrote:For small batches I would use a skin side slab from a butt for a substitute for fresh belly.
I'm sure that would work and result in a good product, but the fat and meat from a pork shoulder is different in texture and taste from a pork belly. There is a reason for a recipe calling for pork belly as part of the product. Unfortunately, I also substitute most of the time since belly is so darned expensive, but it sure would be nice to use belly when called for, and that way we can properly judge the taste of the sausage.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Nov 10, 2014 20:38

CW gets the credit for posting this :grin:

I think about it every time I don't have an ingredient to a recipe :sad:

"The Substitute Recipe"

I didn`t have potatoes; So I substituted rice.
I didn`t have paprika; So I used another spice.
I didn`t have tomato sauce; So I used tomato paste.
A whole can - not a half can; I don`t believe in waste.
A friend gave me the recipe; He said you couldn`t beat it.
There must be something wrong with him; I couldn`t even eat it!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 10, 2014 21:32

I am a firm believer in being exacting the first time I use a recipe. Some substitutions make a big difference and some not so big. I know that butt slab bacon is not the same as belly bacon however with a 4 dollar price difference I can adapt.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Nov 10, 2014 22:11

Speaking of bellies, you might want to look around and price some now. Cheapest I've bought them in a long time. Corn is cheap this year.