[CAN] Moose Summer sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 02, 2015 13:44

Correct. It is a flavour enhancer, giving the sausage a slight sour taste, simulating a fermented product. It is not, as some of the vendors claim, a "starter culture". Another thing it probably does is since it is a powdered milk product, it helps to bind the product and may improve the texture.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Sep 02, 2015 13:47

Thats correct revid. You could compare tang to sour as opposed to sweet. Another example of tang would be "sharp" cheddar cheese.
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sat Sep 26, 2015 16:48

I have a question regarding the F-LC culture use. I am about to try my first actual Summer Sausage, I am using the Marianski Recipe that Bob linked above in this thread. I am going with about 50% venison and 50% lean pork and adding backfat at 20-25% of total meat weight. The recipe calls for .024% F-LC (1 K recipe), the directions for the F-LC calls for using 25% of the package (pkg is 25 grams) in any small batch(under 50 lbs.) which adds up to a lot of culture in a small batch. The batch I am making is 2530 g total and at the .024% this works out to .61g (rounded). I have researched this as much as I can and realize that there is a filler(or carrier) in the F-LC which is a large part of the bulk/weight in the packaged culture and that the larger percentage called for is to ensure getting a sufficient amount of the actual culture into the product-but I have not been able to find this in any discussions regarding the actual use of the culture. My question is-do I really need to go to such a high percentage of culture in the product? In my batch this would amount to 6.25g or.24% of meat weight. I don't mind doing this if it is necessary to ensure enough culture to accomplish the goal, but it seems overkill-some advise from those of you that have experience with this culture in small batches would sure help---

Thanks
Pat
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Sep 26, 2015 17:35

Pat-
2-3 grams FLC would be plenty for that size batch. That recipe will produce a VERY tangy sausage. You can cut the sugar and dextrose in half and still have plenty of tang in the sausage. I use pretty much the same Venison/pork/fat ratio that you will be using and it's great
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sat Sep 26, 2015 17:56

Thanks Bob-

I'll go with that, and cut the sugar/dextrose back as you suggest. Fermentation OK with 24hrs@ 90%RH and 85°?
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 26, 2015 18:15

Just my two cents here. You can never use too much culture but sometimes you may not have enough, so that is why some recipes ask for a minimum of 1/4 of a package. Someone once pointed out that was Butcher & Packer started that and then Ruhlman picked it up in his book Charcuterie as did Weiss in the Charcuteria: Soul of Spain. IMHO that is bunk. For larger batches I weigh the culture and use the proportions according to Marianski's recipes and for the small 2-3 kg batches I use a minimum of 1/2 teaspoon. If the culture is older I add a bit more since the cells die off a bit over time.

Thanks for bringing this subject up. It has been my intention to write a post about the confusing amounts in recipes out there and how we can find a happy and correct medium. Will draft something soon.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Sep 26, 2015 18:48

24 hrs is enough Pat. If you follow the recipe and start smoking/cooking at 110f the culture will keep working until the IT reaches over 120f. Plenty of time for the tangy flavor development :grin:

Let us know how it comes out!
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sat Sep 26, 2015 20:23

Thanks again Bob and redzed, I'll grind and stuff in the AM and let you know how it goes when finished.

Pat
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Wed Sep 30, 2015 17:09

Just a note to say "Thanks Again" for the help on the Summer Sausage. It turned out nice with a good tang to it. I reduced the sugar/dextrose as Bob suggested and used 2.2 grams of F-LC (1/2 tspn) in the 2629 gram batch. I followd the Marianski recipe with a couple of changes (omitted the Allspice and cut the Coriander in half). I ended up fermenting for 36 hours so I could get an early start on the smoke phase rather than staying up into the wee hours of the night. I smoked with apple/hickory for 6 hrs at 100° to 105°F for six hours and spent another 5 1/2 hours getting to a finished temp of 154°. We are very pleased with it for a first attempt--
Pat

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Oct 01, 2015 00:44

Great job.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Oct 01, 2015 07:28

Wow, nice looking sausage Pat. Nice colour and meat/fat distribution. Must be great on a sandwich! And I admire your patience in getting it to 154F. I probably would have finished it by poaching. :grin:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:54

Looks great Pat and nice job stuffing with no air pockets!

Anything else you plan to make with the F-LC ? The semi-dry pepperoni recipe also comes out great with venison.
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Thu Oct 01, 2015 14:15

Thanks for the compliments--

redzed, my patience was running pretty thin but I wanted to dry the sausage as much as possible, I used a water pan in the smoker to keep the humidity up some and I suspect that slowed the process some. But I did get a 14.5% drop in weight so I think it was worth the wait.

Bob, not sure what is next. The wife isn't too fond of pepeperoni so will probably try something more to her liking. She likes the Summer Sausage so that is a good start. I'm thinking about trying something along the lines of the Hot Smoked Polish sausage with the fermentation phase added--and maybe a small chub of pepperoni from the same grind--

Pat
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33

I have another question on the summer sausage with the F-LC Culture, I am going to make another batch and would like to cut the tang down a bit(myself and about half of the family/friends that tried it thought it was great, the rest found it to tangy). The last batch I cut the sugar/dextrose in half as Bob K suggested but I did ferment for 36 rather than the 24 hr period per the recipe. Should I reduce the sugar/dextrose further and/or just shorten the fermentation time. I understand the importance of the sugar/dextrose in the fermentation cycle as well as the fermentation time for safety(ph drop) and don't want to mess around without some sound advice---

Thanks in advance
Pat
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Oct 28, 2015 15:57

Pat-
The best way to control the Tang would be to monitor the Ph drop and stop fermenting when it got down to around 5.1-5.0. At 85f that would probably take less than 24hrs.

If you want to ferment for the 36 hours drop the temp to 75-78 and that should reduce the tang. Probably the best option without monitoring the Ph.

F-LC is a versatile culture and can be used from 65f to 105f.

I wouldn't reduce the sugar and dextrose further.