Hot dogs questions

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Hot dogs questions

Post by Blackriver » Fri Mar 04, 2016 19:32

Hi there,
I am making hot dogs for the first time on Saturday. After I am done grinding, mixing, and stuffing can I move them over to the smoker right away? Will they be fully cured? I was going to start with 100 degree heat to dry them then smoke them 1-2 hours. I will then finish them in a 165 degree water bath.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 04, 2016 21:34

If I link them I prefer to let the rest a day in the cooler to set before doing anything else to them.
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52

Great I will do that. Thanks a lot.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 07, 2016 16:06

When making hot dogs you emulsify or finely grind the meat multiple times which distributes the nitrite more thoroughly thus curing the meat faster. Commercial production of wieners is all in one successive process but most of the time they also add cure accelerants like sodium erythorbate. While it's always better to set the sausages in a refrigerated environment for several hours like Butterbean does, but with hot dogs you should be fine with one or two hours at room temp before smoking.

BTW, what type of casings and recipe are you using? Ever since I bought my bowl chopper 10 months ago I have been planning to make franks, but just have nor gotten around to it.