Goat milk powder?

vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Goat milk powder?

Post by vagreys » Sat Aug 13, 2011 06:06

I'm beginning to explore making emulsion sausages. I see a lot of recipes calling for fresh milk and/or non-fat dry milk powder.

I am allergic to beef, all beef products and by-products, and cow dairy of all kinds.

Can I use goat milk powder, instead? If not, why not?

Can I use non-fat goat milk powder? If not, why not?

Thanks. I realize that the milk powder used in meat processing is very finely ground. I was hoping I could run the goat milk powder through the food processor and make it finer.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 23:25

Tom, ol` friend...
You wrote:
I'm beginning to explore making emulsion sausages. I see a lot of recipes calling for fresh milk and/or non-fat dry milk powder. I am allergic to beef, all beef products and by-products, and cow dairy of all kinds. Can I use goat milk powder, instead? If not, why not? Can I use non-fat goat milk powder? If not, why not?
Thanks. I realize that the milk powder used in meat processing is very finely ground. I was hoping I could run the goat milk powder through the food processor and make it finer.
As an ol` cow kicker from the sticks, I can`t imagine having a more annoying or unfavorable allergen than bovine serum albumin or bovine IgG. Please be aware that recent studies have concluded that both allergens are implicated in cross-reaction to other mammalian meats, specifically bovine to ovine (sheep). In other words, they have finally proven that there are significant correlations between bovine and ovine serum albumins. For this reason alone, I would recommend using soy protein concentrate rather than any milk product. Why take the chance? Cowboys have an old saying, "You can invite trouble into the bunkhouse, but you don`t have to offer it a chair"!

On the other hand, alternative choices of meats in the diet of beef-allergic patients must be carefully evaluated on an individual basis by a doctor - (today they call him a "health care professional"). Often there is a simple, effective solution, capable of reducing the allergenicity of beef. Effective treatments may be as simple as heating, freeze-drying, homogenization, and mincing, before consumption. Of course, it all depends upon each individual. Be sure to check with your doctor and have a few tests run. Medium-rare beef steak, grilled over a hot bed of smoldering hickory coals, is just too much to readily relinquish without checking for solutions to your allergy.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. How did your daughter fare with her college education in England? Hope all turned out well.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Sun Aug 14, 2011 04:32

Chuckwagon wrote:...Please be aware that recent studies have concluded that both allergens are implicated in cross-reaction to other mammalian meats, specifically bovine to ovine (sheep). In other words, they have finally proven that there are significant correlations between bovine and ovine serum albumins.
That's very interesting. I first correctly identified this allergy about 12 years ago, and have been learning more about it ever since, but I hadn't heard anything about this cross-correlation to the ovine proteins. Thanks for that. So far, I've been able to eat pork, lamb, goat, venison, various other game and bison meat, and goat and sheep dairy, with no ill effect, but that doesn't mean I'm not developing intolerance to the ovine products, over time. I'll look into that some more and keep it in mind. Soy is certainly an easy alternative, though the white hots might not be quite as pale. No matter.
...On the other hand, alternative choices of meats in the diet of beef-allergic patients must be carefully evaluated on an individual basis by a doctor - (today they call him a "health care professional")...Be sure to check with your doctor and have a few tests run. Medium-rare beef steak, grilled over a hot bed of smoldering hickory coals, is just too much to readily relinquish without checking for solutions to your allergy.
There are few things I miss as much as a good medium-rare steak. I do enjoy my pork shoulder steaks with a little garlic, but it's hard to beat a good ribeye or strip steak. My transplant team scrutinized every aspect of my health, including my diet, before my transplant. They wanted to eliminate anything that might trigger an immune response. We review that annually, and I'll be sure to bring it up when I meet with my team.
...P.S. How did your daughter fare with her college education in England? Hope all turned out well.
Thank you for asking. She loved the west of England and UWE at Bristol. It was quite a learning experience. She particularly loves northern Wales and the Welsh people. She is even considering graduate study in forensic psychology at the University of Leicester.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Sun Aug 14, 2011 04:38

DiggingDogFarm wrote:vagreys,...Non-fat milk powder is usually used at about 4% by weight in the emulsifed sausage formulas. That should eliminate the need to turn instantized powder to a fine powder in a food processor.

~Martin
Thank you, Martin! We'll see how it goes!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.