Stefans kielbasa

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Mar 21, 2016 18:33

We are using mainly hot smoking (100 to 140*F). Close to finish smoking (after 3-4 hours) in some cases we're raising temp. to 180-200*F for around 1-1.5 hour ( to internal temp. 150*F).
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Mar 21, 2016 19:16

Thanks, that's very similar to what I do. I like Podlasiak's sign on his smokehouse. His smokehouse looks similar to mine. How is it heated with gas or does the firebox furnish both the smoke and the heat?
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 22, 2016 07:26

Stefan, looks like your "Cadillac" is working at it's best. That is best looking batch of wędzonki that i have seen for a long time. They are smoked perfectly! Did you by any chance paint them with egg yolk? :grin:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Mar 23, 2016 00:26

Hi Chris - thanks. As you see - Cadillacis working perfectly.
Hi Butterbean - I have saw on some pictures parts of your smoker. It is similar to my Cadillac, some differences in details. And you are right- I use a firebox/burning chamber to distribute smoke and heat do smoking chamber. Some time ago I've made a topic http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7565 - but I'm very sorry that pictures despair. If you wish I will redone that and post some more detailed pictures.
Stefan
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Wed Mar 23, 2016 13:23

Hi Stefan

I would be very interested to know how you control the temperature, how do you keep temps low and consistent whilst sausages are being smoked?

Thank you
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 23, 2016 17:04

StefanS wrote:Hi Chris - thanks. As you see - Cadillacis working perfectly.
Hi Butterbean - I have saw on some pictures parts of your smoker. It is similar to my Cadillac, some differences in details. And you are right- I use a firebox/burning chamber to distribute smoke and heat do smoking chamber. Some time ago I've made a topic http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7565 - but I'm very sorry that pictures despair. If you wish I will redone that and post some more detailed pictures.
Stefan
Yes, I'd very much like to see "the plumbing".
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun May 08, 2016 23:56

Hey All. Some time passed so finally I have run out of kielbasa. Some friends and family members stared to cry that they will die without some meat dishes mainly based on kielbasa. rest of story is known for most of you - so :
shopping; some beef and pork..
preparation: meat classification, curing, grinding preparing spices etc..
finally; mixing, stuffing, smoking and effects -
ImageImage

I have made:
Szynkowa - ham kielbasa - made on special wish of my friends - two sizes of collagen casing
Hunters kielbasa ( mysliwska) with Juniper crushed berries - I will keep it to dry (around 1 week )- then smoke it again -
Grill kielbasa (especially formulated to grill it - mostly salt plus 5% Cure#1, little more fat (I have used jowls plus beef (twice grinded on plate 3 mm), as binder. It is also hot/mild because addition of Hot Pepper(55K) and Hungarian Paprika.
Swojska ala Stefans Kielbasa - pork/beef 70/30%, containing a marjoram, cardamom, garlic, nutmeg, coriander,
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon May 09, 2016 17:59

Wow Stephan Excellent as always ! You sure do give the Cadillac a work-out!

Do you mix by hand?
StefanS wrote:Grill kielbasa (especially formulated to grill it - mostly salt plus 5% Cure#1, little more fat (I have used jowls plus beef (twice grinded on plate 3 mm), as binder. It is also hot/mild because addition of Hot Pepper(55K) and Hungarian Paprika.
Could you clarify how much salt and cure you are using.....5% seems too high.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Tue May 10, 2016 02:23

Great looking product Stephan! Looks absolutely delicious!!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed May 11, 2016 22:29

Bob K wrote:Could you clarify how much salt and cure you are using.....5% seems too high.
- Sorry for misleading - usually I'm using 20 g of salt per 1 kg of meat. That salt is mix of 90% (18g)of Kosher salt plus 10%(2 g) of Cure #1. In case of my Grill Kielbasa is - 19 g of salt (95%) plus 1 g (5%)of Cure#1.
Bob K wrote:Do you mix by hand?
- no, I'm not that crazy. I have Lem 25 LB mixer paired with Lem Grinder.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu May 12, 2016 04:47

Looks great
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu May 12, 2016 19:11

That sounds better, 2% total salt.
1.9% salt
.1% cure #1

Where do you get the fresh hams from?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 14, 2016 07:34

Stefan your kielbasa looks incredible! And since I have had the good fortune to sample your products in the past, I am sure each and every one is a treat to eat! Your work my friend is top drawer, better than what most professionals make!

I will soon be making some grilling sausages, so I have question about your special grilling sausage. Did you lightly smoke it and then poach it or just smoke it? and did you bring it up to 66°/67°C (152F), or not that high?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat May 14, 2016 20:02

redzed wrote:Did you lightly smoke it and then poach it or just smoke it?
- light smoke, poaching to 65*C -
Bob K wrote:Where do you get the fresh hams from?
, - wholesaler/distributor in my area (ham is product of Canada), let me know if you need pieces -
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Oct 15, 2016 02:53

Firs some story... about 50 years ago in my small village in northeast of Poland most of people were killing own pigs by themselves. As young boy I helped also. Without refrigerators, freezers we have to very quickly processing fresh meat into products or make it safe for keep it longer time. Some part of that process was converting meat into kielbasa. There are many recipes, processes for it. One of my memory tastes was kielbasa with little jelly, easy to snap, fully done in smoker. After reading some topics on polish website of WD I have decided to try make it.
Results very nice, taste near memory, one thing only I'm not happy with it - color of smoking. Is should be much darker, were used for smoking freshly cut alder trees.
I have used :
0.5 kg class I - lean meat from ham
1.5 kg class II - pork butt (cut off connecting tissues) 75/25 lean/fat
0.5 kg jowls
salt -1.8%
I want to make that kielbasa just using salt, but after considering process and time I have added already cured (24hours) additional meat
0.5 kg class I (ham)
1.5 kg class II pork butt
0.5 kg jowls
salt - 1.8 %
cure #1 -0.2%
so finally I had 5 kg of meat:
1.0 kg class I (Ground on plate 12 MM)
3.0 kg class II (plate 10 MM)
1.0 kg jowls (plate 4.5 MM)
salt 18 g/kg
cure # 1- 1 g/kg
black pepper -2.5g/kg
fresh garlic-5g/kg
marjoram -1g/kg
water 70 ml/kg
mixing meat just enough for distribution spices and make mixed classes of meat (not to much for make meat too sticky). during mixing adding boiling water.
Casings 32-35 mm. smoking - beginning in around 120-140F after 1 hour I have raised to 180-200F, until inside kielbasa was around 170F. Then quickly cooling by submerging in cold water.
My wife told that now she wants eat only that kind of kielbasa.