Looks like its going to be a good year

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Looks like its going to be a good year

Post by Butterbean » Wed Oct 26, 2016 16:40

Cotton prices are down so many farmers chose to plant corn and peanuts instead. Lots of peanuts and from the looks of the pigs they have been getting their fill.

Since deer season is in we cannot use dogs to hunt the pigs so this will make it more challenging but these are some pigs my camera caught two hundred yards from my stand. With luck, I'll be processing one of these. Between all the peanuts, corn and the bountiful acorn supply they should be nice and fat.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Oct 26, 2016 20:28

Wow those are real Porkers! They look like domestic Pigs?
With that diet Prosciutto/county ham?
MatterOne
User
User

Re: Looks like its going to be a good year

Post by MatterOne » Wed Oct 26, 2016 23:15

Butterbean wrote: Between all the peanuts, corn and the bountiful acorn supply they should be nice and fat.
Fat and delicious!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 26, 2016 23:58

I am green with envy. No wild or feral pigs on Vancouver Island. Just feral cats and I hear they ain't good for sausage. Image
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Thu Oct 27, 2016 00:09

They're pretty uncommon around here too.

I'm not saying nobody does it, but nobody I know has actually hunted for them here. The vast majority in this state, to my knowledge, are shot opportunistically while in pursuit of other game.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 00:11

Not domestic but wild or maybe a better term would be feral. It is my understanding a domestic pig will become wild in 3 months so in a way I guess they are domestic in origin. Occasionally I'll see a belted one or a brown one but these all seem to be black.

These moved in on us about 10 years ago. For the most part they have stayed on the west side of the river where I was told my neighbor killed somewhere around 65 last year. Farmers here hate them but I secretly smile when I see hog sign on my hunting grounds because they make such wonderful sausage.

The hams on these look really nice and plump. I've never made prosciutto from them but I may have to give it a try. I killed one last year and just ground the whole thing into sausage and it was really good. I also like to add venison to it and this turns out good too. Our venison here has a very mild flavor. Almost like beef just so long as you don't kill a buck in rut then they are quite gamey.

I hope they will hang around some and maybe not be so nocturnal. They are pretty sharp though and what the lack in brains they sure make up for it with their keen sense of smell.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 00:47

The only true Wild pig is the Russian Wild Boar which is an actual wild species. Escaped domestic stock are considered Feral. We have a few small pockets of feral hogs here in Alberta but very few and far between. There were a few escaped Russian wild boar that escaped from a hunt farm but they have been shot. Feral hogs are definitely an environmental issue but dang they sure are tasty!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 02:19

About an hour north of me they have some russian pigs in the woods. If I recall correctly there was some concern with these because they were breeding with the feral hogs and getting larger than they would normally be. I imagine any pig with long tusks would be dangerous but a great big one would be more so.

If I could design the perfect hunt I would kill one pig for ever two deer. That would be wonderful!!