Whats the maximum allowable %fat in slow dry cured salami?

ronbo
Beginner
Beginner

Whats the maximum allowable %fat in slow dry cured salami?

Post by ronbo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 21:23

I was making the Salami Nola from Marianski's Art of Fermented Sausages and made a huge error. The recipe calls for 50% lean pork (butt,ham) and 50% regular pork trimmings (butt). Well, since it was late (and I was working on 7 different salamis that day) I screwed up and made the mixture with 50% trimmed butt and 50% fat back. I got a good grind using the 10mm plate and near frozen cubed meat and fatback, but I will admit that it was quite fatty just as you would expect with those ratios. I proceeded any way and used the correct amount of cure #2, T-SPX, and seasoning for my 1Kg batch and stuffed them into 50mm Umai casing.

After 66 hours of fermenting at 68F and 50%RH the salami only shows a minor to mid amount of color. So, heres my question. Im wondering if there is not enough water in the mixture to allow the T-SPX to perform its function because there is so little meat and so much fat? Im thinking about Aw, etc. I don't know, maybe the meat is coloring but its got so much fat in the salami you can't see it?

Any thoughts about whether or not these are fermenting properly (and will be safe) and are worth curing? I don't yet have a pH probe/meter since this is my first attempt at making salami, although I made several successful batches of fresh and smoked cooked sausages. So, Im using documented techniques and careful observation of color to determine if fermentation is proceeding properly.

Thanks again for all your guidance for a "fermenting newbie"!
Cheers, Ronbo
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Jan 26, 2017 23:47

I think you'll have trouble ever getting it to dry with to much fat. I don't know if I wouldn't just open it up and spread some on toast if you haven't made your own version of metwurst.

You really need some way to test your pH.
ronbo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ronbo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 00:14

Thanks butterbean. I really didnt know what to expect during the curing/drying phase. I dont know of any salami that uses the 50/50 ratio. Does anyone? Im hesitant to split it and spread it since I don't know the pH. Your right that I need to get a pH meter. I looked at some of the other meter recommendations on the forum. There seem to be many. Are there any that are your favorites, which of course will allow me to stay married to my wonderful wife! :lol:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Jan 27, 2017 01:42

Wit that much fat I don't know if it would get the 30% weight loss you're looking for even though the aw might be fine. I'll often taste mince after its fermented but I'm also comfortable with my process and sanitation. Here is a link you might find interesting.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6429