Prosciutto

redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 27, 2017 06:18

You can hang them in the chamber for about 3 months and then apply the sugna. Before transferring to the chamber, you can hang them for a few days at room temp, (22C). Doing that fixes the colour and gets the enzymes going.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri Jan 27, 2017 06:25

For now, the chamber is my refrigerator set at refrigerator temps. I have 2 more going that is 2 weeks difference. Do I shorten the equalizing of the last two? Do I leave the equalizing going longer on the first two at refrigerator temp? Or do you suggest I put the last two in a different refrigerator and change the chamber to chamber temps after the 2 day room temp hang?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 27, 2017 06:37

Compromise, wait another week, and then transfer all to chamber at 11-12C and RH 75-80. Make notes and see whether there will be a difference. The hanging at a warm temp after this stage is optional. If you are going to do it, hang for 3-4 days.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Feb 04, 2017 14:09

Here ya go. The salting process is done. They were rinsed, then sprinkled in red wine and coated with fine black pepper. They are hanging at refrigerator temperature for another 12 days, then I'm going to flip the refrigerator back to 55 degree chamber and continue hanging them in the chamber. I've also seen where they coat the raw area of meat to keep it from drying too fast? Can someone give me a recipe on what I use and when to apply it?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Feb 04, 2017 14:33

Here is one Lou. Its called sugna. The spices used and the timing of application vary

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2014/08/ ... crudo.html
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Feb 04, 2017 15:59

FYI- I tried using the sugna on my first 2 but had a problem mixing the flour and lard. Next time I'll try to melt the lard on very low heat and incorporate the flour in to form a paste. Any input on what I was doing wrong would be appreciated.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 05, 2017 02:44

Dont rush with the sugna. Wait a couple of months before applying. Your relatives in Italy usually wait 5-7 months.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 05, 2017 02:55

nuynai wrote:FYI- I tried using the sugna on my first 2 but had a problem mixing the flour and lard. Next time I'll try to melt the lard on very low heat and incorporate the flour in to form a paste. Any input on what I was doing wrong would be appreciated.
I would be very careful in using that technique. You could easily cook the flour with fat which would form a crust and harden with time. Just soften the lard as you would butter for your toast and then add the rice flour.

And a note here about the pepper in the sugna or in the exterior of the ham. It was traditionally applied to keep insects away and not for flavour. So if you are going to hang the ham at any time in your cellar, shed or barn, by all means use it. If it's going to hang the whole time in your converted curing chamber, no need to waste good pepper.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Mar 07, 2017 15:00

Question on the cure process. The prosciutto is hanging in the chamber at 53 degrees at roughly 70% humidity. The exteriors are getting pretty firm, like really firm. I know I am nowhere near the finished time, but what is the recommended weight loss target I am looking for? Should the weight loss target be from the time I started salting or the time I rinsed and re-hung?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 08, 2017 06:25

Once its cured and equalized I don't worry about weight loss. I just hang it till I decide to cut it. The flavor changes as you age it. The last one I did aged hung for two years. I have one that hangs in a barn at a friend's place and its been hanging there since 2010 and people whittle on it whenever they want. This one is hard as a rock and pretty salty because as it ages the flavor intensifies as does the saltiness. Personally, I like them best before they get over a year old because they are much easier to slice and work with and they are quite moist at this stage.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Mar 08, 2017 14:17

In other words, there is no weight loss requirements? You would think you still want to be near 35%?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Mar 08, 2017 14:40

Lou-
If you are looking for the safety hurdle requirement its 18% loss (from the green weight). Most are dried to 20-25% and some to 30% , Time is also a factor, for safety as well as flavor.

If you are wondering why the difference or so little weight loss compared to other dry cured products, you need to factor in the bone, fat and skin which loose little weight (low water content to start with)

https://aglearn.usda.gov/customcontent/ ... 19.106.pdf

https://aglearn.usda.gov/customcontent/ ... 19.106.pdf

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... afety-USDA
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 09, 2017 08:08

I agree with Bob. Don't worry about the weight. Wait a year and weigh it then but only out of interest. The prosciutto will be ready. 35% is only a guideline, If you had a leg from a large heavy sow, it probably would lose only 20-25% after a year. And if you were starting off with a leg that was frozen first, you would have lost as much as 5% before you even salted. It's probably safe to eat already asthe water activity is way down after the salting and resting stage, otherwise your ham would have spoiled after what, three months now?

Don't worry be happy! https://youtu.be/d-diB65scQU
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Mar 28, 2017 13:33

I made one mistake in not weighing these prosciuttos, before I started the salting process. After I salted them, press them, rinsed them and equalized them for another 20 days was when I weighed them. Based on that, what is the best way to calculate weight loss now? 2 had bone in and 2, the bones were removed
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 28, 2017 16:54

Lou-
Why are you concerned about weight loss?