Salami - large diameter vs small diameter

Fishhead
Beginner
Beginner

Salami - large diameter vs small diameter

Post by Fishhead » Thu Feb 16, 2017 04:42

I am planning for a new batch of salami. I use T-SPX culture. In the past I have used 76mm protein lined fibrous casings. This worked well. Drying time was around 9 weeks.

My son commented to me that he likes smaller diameter salami. I do not know his reason because I did not ask. But with him in mind, I bought some 61mm protein lined fibrous casings. Not a huge difference 3 inches versus 2 3/8 inches.

I know that the smaller diameter sausage will dry bit faster and at first thought this would be a good thing to not have to wait as long. But then it occurred to me that the Staphylococcus bacteria in that culture takes awhile to fully develop some of the salami flavors.

My question is whether I am trading flavor for a shorter drying time. Or is the size difference so small that I would not taste the difference?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 16, 2017 13:23

No problem at all. The color and flavor forming bacteria are more sensitive to Ph than moisture loss, and will continue working for months. Most traditional salamis are made using beef middles in the 55-65mm range.