Dry Cured Pork Tenderloin

Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Dry Cured Pork Tenderloin

Post by Sleebus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 16:46

So I was thinking, if I'm going to do a pork loin for Lonzino, why can't I do a pork tenderloin? I searched, but since I don't know the formal name for it, I came up empty. I did run across a recipe that someone came up with on facebook, which looks like this:
  • Salt 2.55%
    Cure #2 0.50%
    Coriander 0.20%
    Cloves 0.03%
    White Pepper 0.70%
Their comments were that the meat isn't all that flavorful, even when dry cured. Just wondering if anyone here has had a different experience and what recipe they used.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57

There is no reason you can't use the same recipes for lonzinos/Lomos on a tenderloin. Because of the small diameter you can just make adjustments in the casings used and the drying time.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 23, 2017 07:15

I have to agree that unless you get a pork tenderloin from a mangalitsa, pork tenderloin does not have much flavour on its own. But if you season it with your favourite spices, cure it for about a week, dry it for three weeks, you can have a quick tasty salumi product. Google "filetto" for ideas. The last one I made was with French twist with garlic, herbes de provence and a squeeze of cognac. No need to case, but be careful not to over dry it.
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47

Aha, filetto was what I was looking for. Thanks!