Hot Dogs!

jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Wed Nov 01, 2017 21:01

redzed, Hi Redzed, considering you're from Yorkton and Regina, have you had any dealing with the polish community in Regina ??? The only reason I'm saying is a few comments refered to you as Chris, thinking your last name starts with G. Therefore we drank a beer or two together.
Na zdrowie !!!!
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 02, 2017 06:47

jjnurk wrote:redzed, Hi Redzed, considering you're from Yorkton and Regina, have you had any dealing with the polish community in Regina ??? The only reason I'm saying is a few comments refered to you as Chris, thinking your last name starts with G. Therefore we drank a beer or two together.
Na zdrowie !!!!
Hmm, you might be on to something! :lol: By the way Joe, why are you asking for a hot dog recipe? You should be asking for a recipe for parówki or serdelki!
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Thu Nov 02, 2017 14:52

redzed wrote:
jjnurk wrote:redzed, Hi Redzed, considering you're from Yorkton and Regina, have you had any dealing with the polish community in Regina ??? The only reason I'm saying is a few comments refered to you as Chris, thinking your last name starts with G. Therefore we drank a beer or two together.
Na zdrowie !!!!
Hmm, you might be on to something! :lol: By the way Joe, why are you asking for a hot dog recipe? You should be asking for a recipe for parówki or serdelki!
I did some parówki a few years ago but didnt like the taste, seemed a little underseasoned. Just looking for something different. Once i finsh a project I'm working on, I will be constructing a meat curing chamber and start with the dry and fermented salamis. From what i have been researching, you're quite the charcuterie :mrgreen:
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 04, 2017 16:39

You are right Joe, parówki, the Polish version of the frankfurter, are a lot milder and contain fewer spices and ingredients. Our North American tastes have now evolved to wanting more pronounced flavours and even a bit of heat. I like them all, and enjoy a fresh tasting simple parówka with some good mustard, fresh rye bread and a sour pickle.

The recipe for my hot dogs is below. For a touch of heat you can substitute the sweet paprika with hot paprika. When emulsifying, you can add anywhere between 10 and 20% crushed ice/water. If you are using fresh meat you will need less water, if frozen and thawed, then more. Note that my instructions are for making hot dogs at home with a food processor or a small under powered bowl chopper like mine. If you have good bowl (buffalo) chopper, process the lean meats first, then fatty meats, and lastly the fat and spices.

You also might want to take a look at two other very good hot dog variations submitted by two of our members, Big Guy and IdaKraut

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... light=dogs

Meats
800g Pork trimmings with connective tissue and about 40% fat (Class III)
200g Beef (Class II)

Ingredients
16g. Non iodized salt
2g. Cure #1
2g White Pepper
2g. Sweet Paprika
2g. Coriander
1g. Onion Powder
.5g Cardamon
.5g Cumin
.5g Nutmeg
20g Non Instant Skim Milk Powder
150g Crushed/Shaved Ice or 150ml Very Cold Water

Instructions
1. Cube and partially freeze the meats.
2. Mix in all the ingredients (except the ice/water) with the cubed meat.
3. Grind through the 3mm plate and place in freezer for 30-60 minutes.
4. Emulsify the ground meat adding water crushed ice or water. Make sure that you have a instant read thermometer on hand and keep emulsifying until temp reaches 12C. Do not allow the temp or the batter to exceed 14C.
5. Place the processed batter in fridge while setting up the stuffer.
6. Stuff into your choice of casings. Ideally 24-26mm sheep casings. 28mm hog casings can be used but will be tougher and have a good snap when you bite into them. You could also stuff into cellulose casings which have to be removed before grilling and eating.
7. Set the sausage for about an hour at room temp, until casings are dry to the touch.
8. Hang in smoker, dampers wide open and temp of 40-45C for about an hour.
9. Make certain that no beads of sweat are on the sausages and hot smoke at 65C for 60-90 minutes until the hot dogs are reddish brown.
10. Poach in 75C water until the IT reaches 68-70C, about 10-15 minutes depending on the gauge of the casing.
11. Chill with cold water immediately after removing from poacher.

Smacznego!
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 14:10

redzed wrote:You are right Joe, parówki, the Polish version of the frankfurter, are a lot milder and contain fewer spices and ingredients. Our North American tastes have now evolved to wanting more pronounced flavours and even a bit of heat. I like them all, and enjoy a fresh tasting simple parówka with some good mustard, fresh rye bread and a sour pickle.

The recipe for my hot dogs is below. For a touch of heat you can substitute the sweet paprika with hot paprika. When emulsifying, you can add anywhere between 10 and 20% crushed ice/water. If you are using fresh meat you will need less water, if frozen and thawed, then more. Note that my instructions are for making hot dogs at home with a food processor or a small under powered bowl chopper like mine. If you have good bowl (buffalo) chopper, process the lean meats first, then fatty meats, and lastly the fat and spices.

You also might want to take a look at two other very good hot dog variations submitted by two of our members, Big Guy and IdaKraut

Meats
800g Pork trimmings with connective tissue and about 40% fat (Class III)
200g Beef (Class II)

Ingredients
16g. Non iodized salt
2g. Cure #1
2g White Pepper
2g. Sweet Paprika
2g. Coriander
1g. Onion Powder
.5g Cardamon
.5g Cumin
.5g Nutmeg
20g Non Instant Skim Milk Powder
150g Crushed/Shaved Ice or 150ml Very Cold Water

Instructions
1. Cube and partially freeze the meats.
2. Mix in all the ingredients (except the ice/water) with the cubed meat.
3. Grind through the 3mm plate and place in freezer for 30-60 minutes.
4. Emulsify the ground meat adding water crushed ice or water. Make sure that you have a instant read thermometer on hand and keep emulsifying until temp reaches 12C. Do not allow the temp or the batter to exceed 14C.
5. Place the processed batter in fridge while setting up the stuffer.
6. Stuff into your choice of casings. Ideally 24-26mm sheep casings. 28mm hog casings can be used but will be tougher and have a good snap when you bite into them. You could also stuff into cellulose casings which have to be removed before grilling and eating.
7. Set the sausage for about an hour at room temp, until casings are dry to the touch.
8. Hang in smoker, dampers wide open and temp of 40-45C for about an hour.
9. Make certain that no beads of sweat are on the sausages and hot smoke at 65C for 60-90 minutes until the hot dogs are reddish brown.
10. Poach in 75C water until the IT reaches 68-70C, about 10-15 minutes depending on the gauge of the casing.
11. Chill with cold water immediately after removing from poacher.

Smacznego!

Thx Chris! Looking forward to trying this :grin:
JjNUrK
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:58

Thanks for sharing this recipe, It's on my short list to try.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 26, 2018 17:02

Venison Hot Dogs

These turned out absolutely great. They are light and moist, with no greasy after taste that you get from the supermarket variety. The ingredients are based on Bruce Aidells` formulation for Chicago style hot dogs. I used dried pasted sheep casings which were narrower than I would have liked, and I had a few blowouts while stuffing. However, the narrow gauge problem has been solved by serving two sausages in one bun! I had a craving for a good hot dog for some time and these little guys did the trick!

Venison Hot Dogs Recipe

Meats
1.5kg venison (white tail)
2.3 pork trim from loin and picnic, about 40% fat

Ingredients per 1kg of meat block
16g salt
2g Cure #1
3g corn syrup solids
1.5 mustard powder
1.5g onion powder
2g white pepper
1g coriander
.5g mace
2g sweet Hungarian paprika
.3g green cardomon
15g non-instant skim milk powder
150g crushed ice

Instructions
1. Add salt and Cure #1 to meats, mix and cure in fridge for 48 hours.
2. Semi freeze meats, add all the other ingredients, except the crushed ice, and grind with 3mm plate.
3. Place the ground and seasoned meat into the freezer for at least an hour.
4. Emulsify with bowl chopper or food processor, gradually adding the crushed ice. Do not allow the batter to go over 14C.
5. Stuff firmly into sheep casings, hang on sticks, and allow time for the sausage to dry.
6. Smoke at 55-60C for about 2 hours.
7. Poach at 75C for about 10 minutes.

Bon Appetit!

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Feb 26, 2018 17:42

Look Fantastic! But loose the Catsup!!! :sad: Last time I made them I ran out of 24mm casings and made some with 38mm...I'll take the skinny ones!
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 18:38

Mouthwatering hot dogs - they look just beautiful!!!
Redezed, will it work if I substitute venison with beef? I don`t have sources to get venison....
Thanks.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 26, 2018 19:39

Bob K wrote:But loose the Catsup!!!
Bob! That statement is downright unAmerican!
bolepa wrote:will it work if I substitute venison with beef?
By all means, beef will work. In fact, the best hot dogs are made with bull meat.
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 21:36

Perfect! Thank you, redzed!
Knifeman
User
User

Post by Knifeman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 23:21

Those look great !
Knifeman
xúc xích

Post by xúc xích » Thu Mar 01, 2018 05:17

I've been a bit busy here in VN. Hotdogs are selling well.
You guys have to check out the Vietnamese 'bowl cutter', it has an 'Ice collar' around the bowl.
It works awesome, but, would not meet with the western worlds 'Safety Standards'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Ezu9cOYqA&t=1s
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:41

Bob K wrote: But loose the Catsup!!! :sad:
LOL, I really can't understand why people have such an aversion to catsup on a dog. I'm a mustard guy with most of my sausages, but occasionally use catsup on a dog, and always on a beef frank.
Knifeman
User
User

Post by Knifeman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 16:58

xúc xích wrote:I've been a bit busy here in VN. Hotdogs are selling well.
You guys have to check out the Vietnamese 'bowl cutter', it has an 'Ice collar' around the bowl.
It works awesome, but, would not meet with the western worlds 'Safety Standards'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Ezu9cOYqA&t=1s
!

That seems to be quite the machine ! Is it made in Vietnam ? What is the name of the manufacturer ? Does it run on normal household current 120 volts or is it 240 ?
Thanks
Knifeman