German White Sausage with Venison

redzed

German White Sausage with Venison

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 10, 2018 18:38

In my continuing exploits with venison, I made a German white sausage based on a recipe for Stockwurst. Originating in Bavaria it is very similar to Weisswurst which is made with pork and veal, whereas Stockwurst is made with pork and beef. I am very happy with the results, and can`t stop eating it. Biggest regret is that I did not make enough of it! Mildly spiced, it has a light and almost fluffy texture, sort of spongy but not rubbery. In making this sausage I also had an opportunity to use mace that I brought back from India last month. I emulsified the batter in my bowl chopper for as long as I could, until the temp reached around 13C. Constant checking of the temp was a lot easier with an infrared thermometer, the latest addition to my toy box.

Venison White Sausage

Meats
800g venison, with connective tissue, no fat
1200g pork trimmings, 50% fat
150g pork skins

Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
18g salt
2g white pepper
.6g mace
2g dried parsley
1g lemon zest, grated and dried
1 drop lemon extract
100g raw white onion, diced
1.5g non instant skim milk powder
200g finely crushed ice

Instructions
1. Boil skins for approximately 30 minutes or until soft and not chewy. Cool in fridge and dice.
2. Cube the meats, add the skins and all the other ingredients (except the crushed ice), mix and place in freezer until everything is partially frozen.
3. Grind the semi frozen meats and ingredients with a 3mm plate. Return everything into the freezer until the temp of the meat is below freezing.
3. Place into the chopper, add 50% of the crushed ice and start emulsifying. Gradually add the rest of the ice to keep the temperature down. Emulsify for as long as you can, making sure the temp of the batter does not go over 14C.
4. Stuff the emulsified meat into hog casings (I used 40mm) and twist off into 12cm links. Tie each link with string so that they dont unravel when poaching. Allow the sausage to set in the fridge overnight, or a minimum of 3 hours.
5. Poach at a maximum temp of 80C(176F) for 40minutes. I did not check the IT because I didn`t want to lose the juices, so I used the rule of thumb when poaching: 10minutes per 10mm of the diameter of the casing. So if I used 32mm hog casings I would have poached for 32 minutes.
6. Sausages can be kept in the fridge for a few days or frozen. To consume, gently reheat in water, but do not boil! Or grill them for a few minutes, just to slightly brown and heat thoroughly.

Last edited by redzed on Sat Mar 10, 2018 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Mar 10, 2018 18:50

Nice job Redz, I wish I had a bowl chopper. I'd like to purchase on but all that I see are priced to high for my taste.
Is yours a big commercial chopper?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Mar 10, 2018 18:53

Wow that looks good. :!: Perfect Hors devours prior to the venison sauerbraten I'm making tomorrow served with Kartoffelkloesse and red cabbage!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sat Mar 10, 2018 20:22

Looks and sounds good! Why the three lemons in your formulation? Just fine tuning?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 10, 2018 20:44

DanMcG wrote:Looks and sounds good! Why the three lemons in your formulation? Just fine tuning?
Thanks for the catch Dan! That was an error, I think I have to hire you as an editor. :lol: There was 1g of lemon zest and 1 drop of lemon extract per kg in there.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sun Mar 11, 2018 00:27

I do one similar, with veal, pork, salt, NFDM, ground mustard, lemon zest, white pepper, ginger and mace. It's not my formulation but i'm not exactly sure where I got it.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 11, 2018 07:57

Bob K wrote:Wow that looks good. :!: Perfect Hors devours prior to the venison sauerbraten I'm making tomorrow served with Kartoffelkloesse and red cabbage!
Bob this sausage is so good you can serve with any course, even for dessert! :lol:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Mar 11, 2018 16:10

redzed wrote:even for dessert!
May have to try that sometime. Your Pretzel needs more salt! The best ones I have ever had were from the street vendors in NYC
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:21

redzed wrote: Constant checking of the temp was a lot easier with an infrared thermometer, the latest addition to my toy box.
Aren't they just for surface temp?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 12, 2018 15:59

Bob K wrote:
redzed wrote: Constant checking of the temp was a lot easier with an infrared thermometer, the latest addition to my toy box.
Aren't they just for surface temp?
Of course, but if the batter is constantly mixed, why would there be a difference between the interior and exterior mass? The infra red thermometer also allows you to quickly move the beam around the bowl to determine whether the temp is uniform.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 30, 2018 01:27

I missed this somehow. Looks great. I'll have to give it a try. I have a lot of venison to do something with.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 30, 2018 14:45

BB, that was one of the best emulsified sausages I ever made. Maybe because the texture turned out near perfect and it has a wonderful mouth feel. If you make it make sure you serve it with a sweet Bavarian mustard. I was scolded by an expert for eating it with a medium hot mustard. He tod me that Bavarian white sausages are to be eaten only with sweet mustard or no mustard at all. :roll: :lol: