Starter Cultures

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Starter Cultures

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Oct 09, 2018 13:40

I figured I would ask here because you guys were always spot on. There's a Facebook group that has some pretty knowledgeable guys on the group that's actually certified to sell their product and the discussion of starter cultures came up. We all know that starter cultures do add flavor and they are all different. Some of the guys don't use any starter cultures because they claim it changes their product to the true flavor they are looking for,,,so here's my question. If they aren't using a starter culture, how does one know whatever bacteria is being grown is a safe bacteria? Is dextrose still introduced? Is there anything else they would be putting into the product that's kick starting their culture, like wine or something? They claim they don't even monitor PH at that point. Obviously what they are doing is certified and safe, so what's the deal? If I decide to make a soppressata without a culture, what is the suggestion? Cure #2 will always be used. HELP! LOL
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Oct 09, 2018 14:30

Is one of those guys BriCan aka Robert?
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Oct 09, 2018 15:00

Many. It`s a valud question, right?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Oct 09, 2018 16:14

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun Oct 14, 2018 16:03

LOUSANTELLO wrote:If they aren't using a starter culture, how does one know whatever bacteria is being grown is a safe bacteria? Is dextrose still introduced? Is there anything else they would be putting into the product that's kick starting their culture, like wine or something? They claim they don't even monitor PH at that point. Obviously what they are doing is certified and safe, so what's the deal? If I decide to make a soppressata without a culture, what is the suggestion?
IMO..
You will never know what kind of bacteria is growing if you do not use starters.
There only two ways to do that without starter
1. back slopping - using small portion of mince from previous production
2. using house bacteria flora - during years and many productions house flora is specific and can be working good...
But - always is risk that something will be wrong
Dextrose should be used.
To make soppresatta without starter - possible but you need knowledge and huge experience plus that specific house bacterial flora....