Trehalose, Sodium Erythorbate & MSG use

bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Trehalose, Sodium Erythorbate & MSG use

Post by bolepa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 19:14

Hi everyone, I was searching this forum for a good hot dog recipe and found a few. Couple of them call for Trehalose, Sodium Erythorbate & MSG use. Not too many recepies on this forum call for these stuff. Neither Marianski recipes do... I tried to search the forum to find more information on this but with no success in spite I remember this was discussed somewhere...
I found some useful information on Google but want to ask you if this stuff really makes sausage better and if it safe to use it....
1. Trehalose adds some sweetness; but, is not over powering as it is only half as sweet as sugar. Trehalose is an antioxidant and will help keep the color in sausage as oxidation causes the graying. Trehalose is a protein protector and will keep the fresh sausage from being "rubbery" after cooking.
2. Sodium Erythorbate should always be added when using curing salt (nitrites/nitrates). This is because, when used in sausages, the processing time can be cut down (up to one-third), as the erythorbate accelerates the rate of curing by breakdown the nitrite and speeding up the setting of the pink colour pigment.
3. MSG, Mono Sodium Glutamate is simply a "Flavor Enhancer". It causes your taste buds to be more sensitive.Use MSG at about the same levels as you would salt, even slightly less. It will not only make your sausages and cured meats taste much better, but everything else consumed along with them will taste better too.
Thank you!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Oct 31, 2018 20:56

Boris-
You must be looking at some of Rudy's (Idakrauts) superb creations! Lots of good ones...
As far as the Ingredients go if you feel uncomfortable using the additives just omit them and they will all turn out fine. Trehalose I am not real familiar with but MSG has gotten a bad Rep by its overuse in the Oriental take out food business in the past, but it really does enhance flavors and if not overdone is perfectly safe, it occurs naturally in many veggies. Sodium Erythorbate is commonly used as a cure excelerant to speed up the breakdown of nitrite to help to reduce the risk if nitrosamines. :roll: It's used in almost all bacon and many cured meats manufactured in the USA.
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 21:51

Bob K, Ha! You are right - the recipes with all those additives belong to Idakrauts. I never ever heard (on this forum) about Trehalose before, that is why I decided to ask this question and get an opinion from more experienced guys... So basically, this is safe to use those additives if measured accurately.... Thank you for you input.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 02, 2018 16:42

The use of MSG, sodium erythorbate, and trehalose in homemade sausage should be a personal decision. None of them are essential ingredients and it really comes down to what you believe you want and the type of sausages you are creating.

We have had long discussions here about S. erythorbate and I do use it in some of my dry cured products. It works as a cure accelerant, antioxidant and retains that red colour in salami for an extended period of time. This is especially helpful if you vaccuum pack and keep the salami in there for months like I do.

Lots of info about MSG out there and it is listed as an ingredient in many commercial sausages. It does work as a flavour enhancer and might help in improving the taste of sausages made with today's market pork. I have never used it.

Trehalose is an interesting and modern ingredient. In addition to some of the properties you described, it is also used by amateur sausage makers to temper the gameminess in game meat. I am interested in trying it in sausage made from wild geese, but to date have not done so.
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 17:54

redzed, thank you very much for your respond and explanation. I could not reply on your post right away because this website was down and not accessible yesterday for the whole day....This is very helpful for me to know yours and Bob K opinion on this subject. I am trying to refrain from using additives in assuages but if "they" make quality of sausages better and it is safe to use them - why not to try? Like Bob K said - "don`t overuse them". I will dig on this subject a little dipper and more likely am going to try.... Thank you a lot for your input!