Celery Powder Cure

Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Celery Powder Cure

Post by Kijek » Tue Oct 29, 2019 14:52

Hi everyone, not sure if anyone remembers me, it's been some time since my last visit in here, mostly do to a lot of health problems and I really got depressed about things, but I gearing for some sausage making.

Going to try and use celery powder instead of pink curing salt, has anyone used it before and if so, can you recommend a good source to buy it at a good price?
Thanks
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Celery Powder Cure

Post by StefanS » Wed Oct 30, 2019 00:19

Kijek wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 14:52
use celery powder instead of pink curing salt,
why do you think is different? USDA says it is organic? because made from celery veggie?? _ o yeah - HNO3 always be nitrate. And you should looking for "treated" celery powder contain HNO2 (same like Cure#1). So any way - it is real processed too. (organic my back side). BTW you have to use salt too (organic !!). Just my opinion.
Agoracritus
User
User

Re: Celery Powder Cu

Post by Agoracritus » Thu Oct 31, 2019 05:41

The “uncured” meat trend is problematic in that it’s very misleading. Companies that label bacon, deli meats, sausages, etc as “no added nitrites (or nitrates)” with a little * that corresponds to the fine print “*except naturally occurring in celery (powder)” are basically being deceitful.

What, does celery naturally occur in meat products? 🤔

The reason they add celery juice concentrate/powder is for the nitrites that are relatively abundant in celery.

So how much nitrite is in celery powder? Not even the FDA will touch that quandary with a ten foot pole.

Better to just stick with curing salts. At least you will know exactly how much nitrites and/or nitrates you are adding to your products.

Sorry about your health issues. I hope you’re on the incline, and I hope my input (opinion) is more helpful than discouraging.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Nov 01, 2019 14:41

Kijek
The Sausage maker carries it in small quantities and Butcher & Packer in 1 lb bags. Never tried it myself. Don't use on Bacon because its mostly nitrate.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 03, 2019 07:25

Hey Kijek nice to have you back and getting back to form. If you try the celery juice powder, please report the results. Nothing wrong with experimenting! If man was not a curious creature then we we would all still be living in windy caves. :D
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Thu Nov 07, 2019 23:48

Hey Kijek.

I feel you man. I've been out for a while as well and just getting back into the swing of things. It's been a crazy 18 months!! CJP is a very interesting ingredient. I made a video about it a while back that outlines the things I noticed when using it. I got mine from TSM. Not a huge fan of it and like Bob said don't use it on Bacon. The manufacturer claims that a bacteria has been added to ferment celery powder and convert the nitrates into nitrites but when I asked if the conversion was 100% there was silence. Here is that vid link if you care to check it out..

https://youtu.be/lTgUv_BOxfg
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Wed Nov 13, 2019 15:54

Thanks everyone for your feed back, I appreciated it. The celery powder thing is just something I wanted to try and see what it is all about, plus my son and his wonderful wife have been health conscious for sometime now, heart issues run in my family and I can understand it. With that being said, I do agree with you all on a nitrite is a nitrite, no matter where it comes from.

Cajuneric thanks for the link heading over now to check it ou.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Thu Nov 14, 2019 22:22

Ok So I spent the day with my son who has some concerns over the use and/or addition of Nitrates in making sausage.
I said to him, what's the difference between a nitrate from celery powder or cure #1.
He said, ok... from celery powder it's a natural product, but where does the cure #1 come from?
Is it natural chemical or is it a man made chemical?
I said …. I don't really know or understand where it comes from.
Again, to me a nitrate a nitrate, but I would like to know, and I bet the FDA wouldn't touch this one either.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 13:15

Hi Kijek.
Celery powder in general contain nitrate. Cure #1 contain nitrite (real curing agent). Nitrate from celery powder should be converted to nitrite by bacteria(some time consuming process)or processed by laboratory (in that case celery powder is processed already). Also celery powder in form you are buying is men processed, it isn't like you get it from your garden and use. IMO.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Fri Nov 15, 2019 15:56

I gotcha thanks