Starter cultures for whole muscle curing?

reddal
User
User

Starter cultures for whole muscle curing?

Post by reddal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 15:26

Hi,

I noticed this product - au.thecasingboutique.com/products/meat-culture-chr-hansen-bactoferm-b-lc-78 :
The B-LC-78 is typically used to cure whole muscle meats such as Capocolla and Prosciutto.
Anyone used it or have an opinion on how useful it is? I think you are supposed to apply it directly into the curing salt mix or brine.

I don't think it is intended to lower pH, according to this - https://www.chr-hansen.com/en/food-cult ... food/bacon it is intended to
enhance color and flavor development and reduce the risk of Listeria monocytogenes
thanks - reddal
reddal
User
User

Re: Starter cultures for whole muscle curing?

Post by reddal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 16:03

sorry - I just noticed there is already a thread on this - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6817
redzed

Re: Starter cultures for whole muscle curing?

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 19, 2019 06:24

Hi reddal,
It is primarily Staphylococcus carnosus that will affect the flavour and colour of the product. There has been some confusion and surprise by some when they saw a starter that was formulated to be used on the surface of whole muscle meats and it included a bacteria that produced lactic acid. The fact is that Pediococcus Acidilactici is a bacterocin and is there to inhibit listeria. Every starter in the Chr. Hansen SafePro line contains Pediococcus Acidilactici. The bacteria will stay on the surface of the meat and not affect the pH.