Case Hardening?? What to do.

adrian078
Beginner
Beginner

Case Hardening?? What to do.

Post by adrian078 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:55

Hi, I've just cut open my salami after about 5 weeks drying. They've hit 35% weight loss but still feel a bit squishy. After cutting one open, the middle looks a little moist and raw still (see attached pics). It smells good though.

Just wondering what to do?

Should I continue drying the rest of the batch? Should I make any adjustments to the humidity or is it too late to save them?

I have a humidity and temp controller and had the humidity set on 90% for the first week then dropped to 85% and then 80% @ 13 degrees C. And as you can see I have a good covering of mould which covered most of the salami after a week or so so I really don't know why this has happened. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMAG0618.jpg
IMAG0617.jpg
reddal
User
User

Re: Case Hardening?? What to do.

Post by reddal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:34

Hi,

They don't look too bad - the middle could do with a bit more drying - but it will probably be fine with a bit more time.

You could try setting humidity to 75% after the first couple weeks which might help speed it up. Also I normally aim for 40% weight loss - at 35% loss there is a chance that some parts haven't lowered the water activity enough to be safe - particularly if drying is uneven.

If your centers are still a bit wet compared to the rim, you can always peel and vac pack them for a couple more weeks, which helps even out the moisture.

- reddal
adrian078
Beginner
Beginner

Post by adrian078 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 22:50

Thanks for that. I'm relieved. The first two attempts had to be chucked out - one stunk bad in the center.

Have made a few changes (higher humidity, took out the fan from the cabinet and use a mould culture) this time and it seems much better.

I'll lower humidity a bit and wait it out then.

What would you do with the one that was cut? Can I just keep drying it?
reddal
User
User

Post by reddal » Fri Dec 06, 2019 16:06

adrian078 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 22:50
Have made a few changes (higher humidity, took out the fan from the cabinet and use a mould culture) this time and it seems much better.
The fan may have been the issue causing case hardening - if too much airflow there can be too much drying too quickly. I wouldn't increase the humidity too much.
adrian078 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 22:50
What would you do with the one that was cut? Can I just keep drying it?
Sure - just cut off the exposed portion and the rest should be fine I would think.

- reddal