Smoked breakfast sausage

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Smoked breakfast sausage

Post by sausagemaneric » Thu Dec 05, 2019 16:37

So,
Long story long. I purchased some smoked breakfast sausage from a place in Kentucky USA called Broadbents Country Ham. If you haven't went to Broadbents site, it's a fun place for a look! Anyway, wife and I fell in love with their smoked breakfast sausage, comes stuffed in a long cloth tube/bag, smoked, not cooked, no nitrates/nitrites arrives un-refrigerated! Very salty, but very tasty! With a note saying not to worry if it arrives warm. So I wanted to come close to that type sausage at home. Took the recipe for breakfast sausage from Rytek's book, added a little more sage, ground a pound of bacon into to the meat mixture in a 10 pound recipe and stuffed it in a cloth tube/bag(ebay). Put it in my smoker at 200 deg. F. and smoked/cooked to 160 deg. F. After it cools I freeze it to assist pulling the bag off the product and not pulling chucks of product with it. Then Vacuum seal it. What this comes out as is a real great brown and serve patty. Just slice them off about a 1/2" thick and toss them in an iron skillet and brown to desired color. It's a win in our house for sure! Sorry, no photos.
V465
redzed

Re: Smoked breakfast sausage

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 05, 2019 18:49

Interesting. I wonder what their dry curing process is without nitrites. No listing of ingredients on the website. Your version is fine without nitrites because you cook it at 200F. Another way you can prepare "smoked" breakfast sausage patties is to add liquid smoke and prepare a fresh sausage. After frying the patties will be a bit more juicier than the already cooked one when they come off the skillet.
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Thu Dec 05, 2019 20:49

I'm thinking that it is the amount of salt. They some MSG too, but that has nothing to do with curing. One other note is, there is a lot of fat in Broadbents sausage. The one I make is the hit every time we cook it.
V465
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Dec 06, 2019 02:56

Apparently people in Kentucky like salty meats. My aunt, a foodie who lives in Kentucky, goes to ham auctions and has paid big bucks for hams which were extremely salty. She gave us one for Christmas and it was almost like you needed a glass of water with each bite. She said the saltier the better. I'm not knocking it but with hams as salty as this a ham would last a long time.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:27

Country hams are salt cured, and need to be soaked for a day or two.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Dec 06, 2019 13:07

DanMcG wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:27
True, but these are salted far beyond any country ham I'd ever tasted but this is how she said they liked them.
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Tue Dec 10, 2019 04:03

Butterbean wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 13:07
DanMcG wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:27
True, but these are salted far beyond any country ham I'd ever tasted but this is how she said they liked them.
[/quote
When you receive a country ham from Broadbents it comes with instructions and they usually say to soak slices for 12-24 hours in milk or water to pull some of the saltiness out.
V465
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Dec 10, 2019 06:57

Yeah, from what I've tasted there is a big difference in the saltiness between a Kentucky ham and one made right across the border in Tennessee.