[USA] "Stray Bullet" Italian Style Deer Sausage

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:15

(Smoked "Cooked n' Cured" Grilling Sausage)

Always use pork fat in making venison sausage - a minimum of 20% pork butt (with its fat) is needed, but 30% pork butt (with its fat) is better yet and it still gives the deer a wonderful flavor and a nice balance. This Italian style deer sausage is hard to beat.

15 pounds venison (all fat and tallow removed)
8 pounds pork shoulder (butt) (use the fat but no skin)
2 pounds pork fatback
5 level teaspoons Cure #1
2 cups soy protein concentrate
150 grams kosher salt
75 grams paprika
20 grams cayenne pepper
75 grams oregano
75 grams fresh garlic
75 grams dehydrated onion
75 grams whole fennel seed
75 grams crushed coriander
75 grams freshly ground (coarse grind) black pepper
75 grams red pepper flakes
500 ml of ice cold water
500 ml of port wine (optional) or another dry RED wine. No fruity wines.

Place the grinder knife and plate into the freezer while you separate the fat from the lean meat. Using a sharp knife, cut all the fat into smaller diced pieces (for the grinder), then freeze the fat. Cut the meat into 1-1/2 " cubes and place it into the freezer until it nearly freezes. Grind the nearly-frozen meat using the 3/8" plate and the frozen pork fat using a 3/16" plate. Work in small batches and do not allow the fat to smear. Place the ground fat back into the freezer. Mix the Instacure #1 with a little water for uniform distribution and add it to the meat. Add the soy protein to the meat and distribute it with your hands. Add the remaining herbs and spices with a little water, then knead and mix the meat to develop the primary bind. When it becomes "sticky", add the frozen fat to the mixture, folding it evenly throughout the mixture with your hands.

Stuff the sausage into 38 - 42 mm. hog casings and twist into links. Hang the links at room temperature until they are dry to the touch. Place the sausages into a preheated 130°F. (54°C.) smokehouse for an hour introducing hickory smoke. Raise the smokehouse temperature a few degrees every 20 minutes until it reaches 150°; F. (66°;C.). Continue to smoke the sausages at this temperature until they start to bloom in about an hour. (At this point, the sausages may be removed to a 170° F. (77° C.) poaching solution for final cooking without smoke if desired.) If the sausages are to be cooked in the smokehouse, discontinue the smoke but raise the smokehouse temperature, once more... just a few degrees every 20 minutes, until the smokehouse temperature reaches 165°F. (74°C.). Hold this temperature until the internal meat temperature (IMT) reaches 150°; F. (66°;C.). This will require a little time. Don`t rush the process. If the fat "breaks" (becoming liquid), the sausages will be ruined. Be patient. Finally, remove the sausages and shower them with cold water until the IMT drops to less than 90°F. (32°C.). Refrigerate the sausages overnight before using them. Grill the sausages in hickory smoke and keep them warm in a "beer bath" atop the grill.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Oct 31, 2011 17:42

Hi Chuckwagon,

Hunting season is near, and two of my Technicians have undertaken to bring me some Deer meat from their hunting trip. I told them don't be shy, there's plenty of space in Bubba's Freezer. :grin:

Although I might only do this beginning December, I'm looking ahead now and this recipe sounds very good. I'd like to try it, and my question is if I use 28 - 32 casings rather than your suggested 38 - 42, would the only difference be in the smoking time until it reaches an IMT of 150 F?
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 06:26

Hi Bubba, if I remember correctly, I got this recipe from a very good (pro) sausage maker in Minnesota. Here in Utah, our deer season got underway nearly two weeks ago. Would you believe that they let the kids out of school two days so they can go hunting. It is a big deal here, as it is in many states. When I was younger, I used a simple recurve bow to hunt with. The archery season always precedes the regular hunt and it just seems to require all the skills a sportsman can conjure up. And I'm like Ross Hill... I never wasted a thing. If I'm not mistaken, several other members bow-hunt also. DaveZak, if I remember correctly, is a pretty good "stick flicker".
You wrote:
Hunting season is near, and two of my Technicians have undertaken to bring me some Deer meat from their hunting trip. I told them don't be shy, there's plenty of space in Bubba's Freezer.
Here's how to make sure the techs follow through with their intentions. Intimidate them! :mrgreen: Tie a ribbon with a bow around a tire iron and lay it on their porch! :shock:
On second thought, it might be better to just make the boys up a few pounds of good "Stray Bullet". At any rate, please let us know the outcome of this venture. Above all, enjoy the recipe!

Oh yes, you wrote:
my question is if I use 28 - 32 casings rather than your suggested 38 - 42, would the only difference be in the smoking time until it reaches an IMT of 150 F?
Yes, that is correct! :wink: Good luck.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Nov 01, 2011 17:22

Not sure how I missed this one. Definitely will give it a go. I've only been out twice with my bow this season (2 weeks old now) and have not gotten a shot. Now, when we pull out the big guns in a few weeks, for sure the freezer will be full. :mrgreen: