The wonderful, versitle pork butt

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

The wonderful, versitle pork butt

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 15, 2011 02:21

The other day I was able to purchase pork butts at 1.29 USD per pound. I sliced a pound off for the loukanika and Nancy wanted a roast, so before I took the roast I sliced the skin side of the butt and removed a slab about an inch and a half thick. Then I cut the roast.
The slab I rubbed with salt, cure and brown sugar and stuffed it into a zipper bag and into the fridge it went to be turned every day for a week and then a rinse and drying and onto my make shift smoker for about 5 hours with this result: Image
The taste is superb . I think that I could have allowed more time wiith the cure but this is pleasantly mild. Not too sweet, light on the salt, and better with the smoke than I can purchase
Ross- tightwad home cook
OleBull
Beginner
Beginner

Re: The wonderful, versitle pork butt

Post by OleBull » Tue Nov 15, 2011 09:20

ssorllih wrote:The other day I was able to purchase pork butts at 1.29 USD per pound. I sliced a pound off for the loukanika and Nancy wanted a roast, so before I took the roast I sliced the skin side of the butt and removed a slab about an inch and a half thick. Then I cut the roast.
The slab I rubbed with salt, cure and brown sugar and stuffed it into a zipper bag and into the fridge it went to be turned every day for a week and then a rinse and drying and onto my make shift smoker for about 5 hours with this result: Image
The taste is superb . I think that I could have allowed more time wiith the cure but this is pleasantly mild. Not too sweet, light on the salt, and better with the smoke than I can purchase
I'm happy to hear that you've found a source of good quality pork.

I've been staying with a friend in the states on business and he's been working with some pork shoulder that's very low quality, loose muscled with soft slimy fat and no flavor.
I didn't point out the problem because I wasn't specifically asked my opinion, but It's definitely very bad.

I'll ask to confirm the source, but I think that it was Wayman's, Werman's, Wegman's or something similar.

Sven
Du är allt blåögd du.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 15, 2011 14:52

Mine came from Wegmans. The quality is just what I expect from commericial pork. Not pumped, still had just a bit of hide left on. I must someday find a locally grown source so that i have a good standard against which to compare.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Nov 16, 2011 02:13

Ross,
That smoked pork looks good and moist, also has a nice smoked color.

The pork up your way is about the same cost here, and quality here is also good, that is why I usually buy from the same place.
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 02:41

Well you got me hooked ol' pard. I'm curing some right now and will smoke it if I can wait another couple of days for it to cure. It looks great. I'm going to try it with some Rocky Mountain Red.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Nov 16, 2011 02:47

After a night and a day in the fridge I cut a couple of slices and fried them as bacon. They will certainly pass without any pushing.
Ross- tightwad home cook