venison ham, sausage, jerky, etc

Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

venison ham, sausage, jerky, etc

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Nov 20, 2011 00:18

Opening day of gun season today. I put my son in my favorite stand and he struck pay dirt. He actually harvested this 8 point buck, a big doe and a small doe. We are set for the season. I will be making venison sausage and turkey sausage next week :grin:

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 20, 2011 00:41

Now the real work starts. You have what? close to two hundred pounds of meat?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Nov 20, 2011 02:27

Nice one with the 8 point buck! Do you use all the meat for sausage or do you cube some as well?
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 06:06

Way to go Zaccarias! You made my day! Good on you folks. Yup, now the work starts, but that's ok! To a sausage grinder, it is no problem at all. Say, Dave... I can't remember your son's name. He's a handsome youngster... (gosh, he must have gotten his good looks from his mother eh?) :wink:
However, you have just got to know something.... in the west... here in the Rockies... there is no such thing as an eight point buck...
You see, we count points on ONE side only! Yup and yesirrrreeee! That is a "Four Point" in our measurement!
OK you kids, grab a wide blade and start skinning! Again, congrats and way to go... "deadeye".
By the way Dave, have you ever skinned a "fresh kill" with a golf ball? Yup. I'm serious. You simply place a golf ball (or small round rock) beneath the skin at the knap of the neck. BEFORE any post mortem contraction begins. If you've made your other body cuts correctly, the skin will slide right off with the tug of a good horse (or a Jeep in a pinch)! Great way to save a lot of work.
Good goin' Kids! I'm just thrilled for you. Lot's of good deer sausage coming up eh? Now watch those hocks and be sure to cut away the musk glands. Keep them away from the meat AND your fingers.
Now... my last question. Where in the heck is the SNOW? Is that actually Green grass in the photo? What's going on back there in N.Y.? Anyway? :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:03

I'm guessing that after we butcher them I will have 120-140 lbs of meat Ross.

We will cut steaks out of the hams Bubba. Most of the rest will go to ground for burgers and sausage. Loins into fillet mignon. I will do at least one ham and thinking of canadian bacon from one loin. And of course the shanks will get turned into an amazing Oso Buco dish. :lol: I'm also thinking of trying to get a brisket off of the buck...not sure though. They will hang until next weekend before we butcher.

Yeah Chuckwagon, I know your deer are sooo big out there you only need to count one side. :grin: I've gotten a few Mule deer in my days over in Vernal. And the snow? We don't question why it's not here...we're just happy it's not. It actually snowed last Thursday and we thought there might be a nice white cover on the ground. That helps visibility in the woods tremendously. But it was gone by Friday noon. In the 50's here today.

BTW~ I like to make liver sausage and have done so in the past with deer liver. I read in Stan and Adam's Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages that venison is not suitable for liver sausage. Any idea why that would be stated? I'm very interested in what Stan's or Adam's reasoning would be if you were able to make contact.

Dave
OleBull
Beginner
Beginner

Post by OleBull » Mon Nov 21, 2011 05:50

Great for köttbullar (meatballs) and several other good things.

Sven
Du är allt blåögd du.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 23:52

Stan Marianski has been kind enough to explain the statement in his book. He wrote:

"The reasoning was that the deer liver can be infected with some parasites. Liver flukes are a parasite that may be found in the liver of some deer. Adult flukes are flat, oval-shaped, purple-gray in color, and look like `bloodsuckers` or `leeches.` The flukes vary in size from 15-30mm wide by 30-100mm long by 2-5mm thick. Even though the flukes may cause local damage to the liver, it is rare that the presence of liver flukes significantly affects the health of the deer. Consumption of venison from an infected deer poses no risk to humans. However, the liver of an infected deer should not be consumed as the fluke-damaged areas of the liver can be secondarily infected by bacteria which could impact human health.
However, deer liver tastes as good as any other liver. Some people compare it to a veal or pork liver. I am quite sure that it will taste great when fried with bacon and onions.
This matter will be clarified in a second edition of the book (Feb 2012)."

Stan, your explanation is very much appreciated. Do "them there" eastern flukes have antlers that you count on both sides? :lol:
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Nov 23, 2011 01:11

Thanks Chuckwagon and thanks too to Stan for the prompt reply.

I have harvested nearly 100 whitetail deer in western New York in my lifetime and have probably eaten 90% of the livers. I have never noticed a liver fluke in any of those livers. Not to say they were not there, because I was not aware of them. After doing a bit of research on the liver fluke I really think I would have noticed them as they do seem quite noticeable indeed.

While I will continue to make liver sausage with venison, I will certainly be more cautious when harvesting the liver and processing it.

Thanks once again for the education.

Dave Zac
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 02:13

Dave, what caliber is your shootin' iron? I heard that folks in NY have to use slugs from a 12 gauge shotgun. Is that true? I shot double-ought buck and slugs in a 12 gauge during my sheriff years, but never for animals (deer) - it's illegal here. In our state we generally shoot 30-30 (most popular), 30-06, or any number of the more modern calibers. I even used a .243. But nothing, absolutely nothing, matches the thrill of taking a buck with your skill with a bow and arrow. Shucks, I am one of those die hard ol' coots who still use a re-curve. No pulleys for me. Don't get out much these days... too danged old.
It would be interesting to hear how other members are faring this year with their deer harvest. Is anyone else out there baggin' their bucks?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 02:27

CW,
Well, I never heard such crap in my life!!!!!!! "TOO DANGED OLD"
I can see that I have to bring you a visit and re-educate you.
This old clogwog is never too danged old, and when I am at your place, after sampling your sausages and other goodies, we just go for a jog to keep the arteries open and the heart pumping like it should be.
In no time, I wil,l have you running around like a racing greyhound and giving plenty of cheek and service to boot.
You better start a little bit of training before I arrive as I hate to piggy-back you home
Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Nov 23, 2011 02:55

Most places around here a 12 gauge is all you are allowed for breech loading. Too dang many people for long range rifles. Some of the people use muzzleloaders usually .50 cal.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 04:15

You better start a little bit of training before I arrive as I hate to piggy-back you home
Goodness gracious, I'd better re-consider! You're absolutely right Crusty. Age is a state of mind eh? Trouble is my mind left the state.
Hey Ross, when I was young, my Aunt used to feed me with one of those fifty-calibers. Yup, a fifty caliber sling shot! I was so danged ugly back then without my mustache... that I'd have to sneak up on a bowl of Rice Crispies or they would stop snap, crackle, and poppin'. Anyway, she would reload walnuts into her .50 caliber sling shot and flip them 50 yards downwind at me. One day she sneezed and her aim went just three inches high! Yup, she nailed me right between the eyes! :shock:
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Nov 27, 2011 21:52

Phew... what a marathon weekend.

Last Wednesday; butchered 4 turkeys, packaged a bunch for the freezer, put wings in brine cure, made 14 quarts turkey stock, made 5 lbs turkey tomato tarragon sausage (Len Poli) and 5 pounds turkey sausage (Stan and Adam Marianski), smoked, poached and let sit overnight before packaging for freezer.

Thursday; Ate way too much and relaxed with family.

Friday; butchered 3 deer, smoked 2 hams and turkey wings, packaged steaks and roasts for freezer, boiled smaller ham and continued to smoke larger ham, made venison stock with bones. When my son and I finally say down at night he said to me "did this day ever happen?" We were non stop from 8 am to 6 pm. I'm getting too old for that.

Saturday; ground 15 pounds venison for freezer, ground 20 pounds venison and pork mix for freezer, ground 25 pounds venison and pork for sausage. Made 5 pounds venison "Lincolnshire" style sausage, 5 pounds venison Italian sausage (Big Guy) and 5 pounds venison breakfast sausage. Hung overnight for flavors to meld. Canned 4 1/2 quarts ham stock from boiled ham and 7 quarts venison stock.

Sunday; took out the remaining 15 pounds sausage mix to make a German sausage (SausageMaker mix), venison sausage (Stan and Adam Marianski) and more Italian sausage. Also took out partially frozen venison roasts and turkey breast to cut for jerky. My ass was dragging and my wife looked at me and said "what the #%!! are you doing now"? I put the sausage mix and larger meat back in the freezer, together with the venison leg for dry cured ham...all for another day. :grin:

Put up some Christmas lights and went in the house to watch the Bills game. Plenty of work for another day!

Almost looking forward to going to work tomorrow so I can rest up :lol:

You gotta love this stuff.

Dave Zac
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 27, 2011 21:58

Dave , I try hard not to work like that but I often fail in my efforts. I sure do sleep well after a day like that.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:10

Geeeeze Dave, my bones and muscles ache just from reading all that you did! :shock:
What a great way to spend time with your son.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon