Clostridium Botulinum in garlic oil

snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Clostridium Botulinum in garlic oil

Post by snagman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:01

Split from Topic: "Goodness Gracious Garlic" in "Sausages" forum by CW 3.3.12 @ 1800 See link here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=8189#8189

Hi Chuckwagon,

May I chuck in a couple of points ? The developing "wick" in the center of the garlic clove which turns green is also bitter and should be removed.
Many cases of food poisoning have been recorded from garlic cloves steeped in oil for too long, something to watch for. Of course, doesn't apply to your interesting "Garlic 101" secrets above.
Greetings from Oz, slowly disappearing under constant rains.......
Last edited by snagman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 15:56

I am fairly confident that C. Botulinum contamination comes primarily from garlic in oil/garlic oil that is left at room temperature. When stored in the refrigerator, the growth of those spores into toxins is far less likely and the shelf life is dramatically extended.

Great Stuff CW!

Just last week Carolina and I were talking about garlic. I was explaining to her why some chefs don't chop their garlic for stocks or mince garlic for brines. This is a pretty cool video. I would just fast forward to 15:00 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCH-HATkSJU
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Sat Mar 03, 2012 18:15

story28 wrote:
I am fairly confident that C. Botulinum contamination comes primarily from garlic in oil/garlic oil that is left at room temperature. When stored in the refrigerator, the growth of those spores into toxins is far less likely and the shelf life is dramatically extended.

The FDA has drafted guidelines specifically for seasoning oil with garlic and/or fresh herbs. It does require refrigeration. It is exactly as you said, fresh vegetables in oil at room temp is a recipe for botulism poisoning.
--------