Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 10, 2012 03:01

Passover and easter.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 03:07

Noooo. Not even close.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 07:44

Joining us from the Phillipines tonight, is Noel in Las Pinas City. I don`t think most folks realize just how many archipelago islands make up the Republic Of The Phillipines. There are 7,107 of them in all! :shock: Pull up some shade Noel, and join us for some sausage chatter. Nice to have you aboard.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

√ Oh yes, here`s the answer to that last question... :cool: "What are the only two days of the year in which there are no professional sports games played in the MLB, NBA, NHL, or NFL? They are the day before and the day after the Major League All-Star Game.
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Mar 20, 2012 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 08:13

Make way, make way! :mrgreen: There`s a Texan called Tmerka jest a lopin` on inta camp forked double-rigged on that big proud-cut, blue roan sportin` slobber straps on a Snaffle bit with McCarty reins! Welcome to the WD brand camp pard. Pull ya ups some campfire and we`ll fill yer mitt with hot Arbuckle`s and cold bear sign. :roll: Whew!
Nice to have you with us Temerka.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. "Arbuckles" or ("brown gargle") is coffee and bear sign is a doughnut. Your "reloadin' outfit" is your knife, fork, spoon, and plate. And that's western lingo! :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 05:59

Yee Haw Pards! We`ve got two good lookin` and intelligent new members with us today. Say howdy to Chatty in Dehli, India, and Sendin in Sebastopol, California. I`ve got some great "Chuckwagon's Western Wisdom" for you new folks. " Always take a good look at what you`re about to eat. It`s not so important to know what it is, but it`s critical to know what it was . " :shock:
Nice to have you folks with us. Welcome to WD!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Mar 28, 2012 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
chatty

Post by chatty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 06:57

Good day to everyone! Have you some info about USDA or FSIS regulation about fermented meat ( microbiology standarts)/I will be wvery apprtiate for answer
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 07:35

Hi Chatty,
Here is the link to the FSIS Regulaions page. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Regulations_&_ ... /index.asp
Scroll down to find what you are looking for. If you can`t locate exactly what you want, click on the category called "Ask FSIS". These folks are very helpful.

Also, Stan Marianski has a wealth of information here:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... ed-sausage

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 04:34

A big ol` "howdy" to Kozulich in the state of Nebraska. Welcome aboard pal. Gosh Kozulich, would you like to know what my wife (Smokey Wagontrack) said to me today? She said, "Don't worry about bitin' off more'n you can chew, `cause your mouth is a whole lot bigger'n you think." Yes, that woman loves me! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 07:36

Welcome aboard sstory in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma! It`s nice to have you with us. Have you wondered what all the hype is about "Arbuckle`s brown gargle"? Well, here is...
"The Way It Really, Really, Was!"

Until about the time of Abe Lincoln`s "Homestead Act of 1862", most Oklahomans and other westerners drank coffees shipped to the United States from South America in green bean form. Because green coffee beans spoiled relatively quickly, they had to be roasted for preservation and use in brewing. Everywhere in Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, Arizona, and other western states, cowboys could usually be seen roastin` their own coffee beans in black, cast-iron skillets over campfires. The roasted beans were then ground (or crushed with the butt of a .44 caliber hogleg) as needed to brew up something cowboys called "brown gargle strong `nuff to float a Colt"! Roasting required some know-how and practice as even one scorched bean could ruin an entire pot of coffee.

Well now pard, `long about 1868, brothers John and Charles Arbuckle patented a method of "flavor sealing" roasted coffee beans with a glaze of egg-white and sugar. By the 1880's, Arbuckle's Coffee Company had eighty-five roasting ovens and their "Ariosa" blend coffee, with its smoky, robust flavor, became the favorite of cowboys, outlaws, soldiers, miners, settlers, and yes... even the "Boomers" in Oklahoma! And these folks made their coffee stout! Camp cooks had a saying: "There's no such thing as coffee too strong... only weak people".

During the late 1880`s, as Arbuckle`s Coffee began fading with the deaths of John and Charles, everyone became edgy, agitated, apprehensive, and relentlessly nervous! Yup pards, without their daily dose of Arbuckles, people in the west were a coffee jitterin`, shakin` mess resembling "jiggled Jell-o"! So much so, that inexplicable "coffee withdrawal" political decisions and reckless pressure was exerted to open up `unassigned lands`. You see, without their mornin` fix of Arbuckles, folks were actin` mighty itchity!

Everyone knows what happened next! About 50,000 coffee-deprived folks having "coffee jitters", lined up before high noon on April 22, 1889! Most were ready to rush right out, without even having their regular "fix" of Arbuckles, to claim two million acres of land! However, only moments before the starter-shot was fired, dozens of the coffee-impoverished, shaking, souls, in their nervous and weakened state, actually fainted forward into the dust - across the starting line! :shock: These folks became known as "Sooners". Nevertheless, as the dust cleared, even these caffeine-deprived "sooners" staked their claim to Folgers, MJB, and other brands, as well as 160 acres of land per coffee drinker! Yup, and that`s the way it really, really, was! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
sstory

Post by sstory » Thu Mar 15, 2012 15:03

Thanks Chuckwagon for the "welcome" and the sooner state trivia. I didn't know I was going to get this much knowledge here already. I was just hoping to get some information on hot to make some sausage and stuff. And look what other things I've already learned :lol:

Looking forward to getting to know more of the folks here on the forum. I have lots of reading to do through all of the previous posts and information available on this site.

I've never made sausages before nor do I have the equipment yet -- looking to get an electric grinder and a seperate stuffer from Northern Tool. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I start out in this exciting hobby.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 17, 2012 03:49

Welcome aboard MiroStan in Buffalo, New York. It`s about time! Our newest smoke addict and I used to go to different schools together! :roll: Why, we even canoed wild rivers separately and whipped grizzly bears with rattlesnakes once upon a time independently in our wildest dreams. All kidding aside, "Miro" is my bud and his nickname is "Mac". He`s Polish and he`s brilliant... alas, the poor chap will never, ever... and I mean never in a thousand years... have anywhere near... the great-lookin`, marvelous, and strikingly gorgeous moustache that... (ahem.... ahem....) I DO! :mrgreen:
Yes, yes,... it`s just a fact in nature that some of us are "moustachously merited" or otherwise "upper lip lucky". Welcome aboard Mac!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:42

Welcome aboard Bernard6 in Santa Monica, California, and Marzenabn in Costa Rica. Wanna hear some crazy stuff? Porcupines float in water, armadillos can be housebroken, and dolphins sleep with one eye open. Yup, and the speed of Heinz Catsup leaving the bottle, is 25 miles per year. :shock: A sneeze leaves your mouth at over 100 m.p.h., and a 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time... it is 1/100th of a second. So now you know! :roll: I was just sure you folks couldn`t live without that information. We`re glad to have you with us!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 07:43

Welcome aboard Gasbag in Adelaide, South Australia. Now that`s what I call a handle!
Hey Gasbag, they say walking is really good for a person. Shucks, the only reason I would take up walking is so that I could hear some heavy breathing again. I`d have to walk early in the morning though - before my brain could figure out what I was doing. My ol` pappy started walking five miles a day when he was 60. Now he's 97 years old and we have no idea where the hell he is. I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. Walking can add minutes to your life. It enables you at 85 years of age, to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $4,000 per month. :roll:
Nice to have you with us Gasbag!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:16

Col65 is our newest member and he lives in the sugar capital of Australia - Mackay, Queensland.
You know Col, I'm beginning to realize that aging is not for wimps. I'm wrinkled, saggy, and lumpy. And that's just my left leg. I don`t really understand these new "child proof" caps on medicine bottles either... but I sure am getting good at opening them. WITH A HAMMER! Sheeyuks, my hearing is gone - that`s why I smile all the time... because I can`t hear a thing my wife is saying. Yup, getting` old is not for wimps. I try to keep my body in shape but every time I hear that dirty "E" word.... you know... "exercise" :mad: , I just have to wash my mouth out with chocolate! :shock: Welcome aboard Col65.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 06:33

Yee Haw! Who are these three wranglers ridin` into the WD camp? Why... it`s renesi of London, England, Rashad18 of Watford (United Kingdom), and Wyatt01 of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Throw yer` saddles on the top rung and join us `round the campfire for a cup of Arbuckles. We`re sharin` cowboy secrets tonight. Here`s one I call "Yee Haw Sour Cream":
Would you folks like to know how a cowboy makes sour cream to put on his baked potato when he's a hundred miles away from the nearest supermarket? Simple. First allow 2 cups of light cream and 2 tablespoons of buttermilk to come up to room temperature. Combine the cream with the buttermilk in a hot clean, glass-canning jar with a screw lid. Cover the jar tightly and shake it to thoroughly mix the buttermilk and the cream. Let the mixture stand in a warm (not hot) place until it is thickened (24 to 48 hours). Store the sour cream covered, inside a refrigerator. Be sure to stir it before serving and use it within three weeks. Spoon it over a baked potato topped with a bit of chopped parsley and chives.

Welcome to Wedliny Domowe - English-speaking branch. It`s nice to have you folks with us.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon