Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 07:25

Okay buckaroos! See if you can guess where the following items were invented or started. Hint: It`s the state where our latest member hangs his hat. The answer is part of my signature - spelled backward with a number between the letters. Don`t look until you guess jleiwig`s home state. Welcome to WD "jleiwig". It`s nice to have you with us.

Teflon (1938)
America`s first traffic light (1914)
The cash register (1879)
The pop-top can.
The first professional baseball team.
The first full-time service station.
The first city to use police cars.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon8o2i3h4o5
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Apr 12, 2012 15:42

Hmmm... Chuckwagon... Oh! I know! ---Unconscious! --- :???:

I wuz gonna guess "Drunk" because of the pop top can and baseball and police car hints, and many people buy beer at service stations, but this is a public board and that would be unseemly for a moderator of such upstanding... uh...

No! Wait! "Asleep." That's kinda like unconscious, but the lawyers say you have to prove intent. ...much more socially acceptable, especially in Eutaw.

I once heard a song that described New Jersey as "Like Ohio, only more so." Izzat true? And is Ohio's state rock song really "Hang on, Sloopy"??? ("Inquiring minds want to know.") :mrgreen:

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the board. :cool:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 01:53

for a moderator of such upstanding... uh...
Uh-Huh Duck! "upstanding" WHAT? :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ajimmyadams

Post by ajimmyadams » Fri Apr 13, 2012 18:51

Hello Everyone.
I am jimmy Adams. How are you all. Well guys i hope that i haven't did a big mistake to join this forum... And i could meet and conversant with new friends.
Last edited by ajimmyadams on Mon Apr 23, 2012 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 13, 2012 19:21

No Mistake. It is good that you could join us and you will be welcome in conversation.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 05:45

Once in a while, WD has a banner day in which 5 members will join us. Well, today is one of those days and we`re happy to welcome aboard all these good lookin` and intelligent folks:

Jaxon04....................Arcadia
Ajimmyadams.........Pakistan
Rafael.......................Sao Paulo
tjb 77494.................Houston
lapolvora.................Quebec

Hey, maybe one of you folks could answer a couple of question for me. If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
And if a turtle doesn`t have a shell, is he homeless or naked? And if you ate both pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? :roll:

It's nice to have you folks with us. Pull up some campfire and make yourselves at home!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Apr 14, 2012 20:23

ajimmyadams wrote: i hope that i haven't did a big mistake to join this forum... And i could meet and conversant with new friends.
No, there's no big mistake, except maybe that sometimes the jokes aren't very good. But that's more like our mistake than yours! Welcome.

Do you have a good sausage recipe (or lamb recipe of any kind) that you could share with us? Many people in the USA have a fondness for Pakistani and Indian and Bangladeshi food style.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 22:26

Welcome Jimmy,
I fully agree with el Ducko, any type or style of recipes from your country will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jan.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Apr 14, 2012 22:46

Thank you for the friendly welcome!

handbags and clutches?

I think you guys have been bamboozled, looks like we've got us a spammer!

Bob
Godspeed!

Bob
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 23:26

I think you guys have been bamboozled, looks like we've got us a spammer!
Lots of members have websites. However, if they try to "advertise" on our forum, they'll get nixed. This happens more often than you may know of and moderators stay busy "tendin' the herd" and "ridin' drag". Once in a while we have to cull the herd.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Apr 16, 2012 16:33

Hey, Chuck.E.Wagon,

The "handbags and clutches" may bring a new dimension to your "ridin' drag" note. :shudderSmiley: Let's hope this thread doesn't degenerate into a bunch of Broke Back Mountain movie reviews and the like. Keep up the good policeman-like activities. I'd much rather have parsley farmer and naked turtle jokes.

Well, relatively speaking. :roll:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 05:44

Howdy Cabonaia in Morgan Hill, California. We`re glad to have you with us. I can just imagine you`re a Dodgers or an Oakland A`s fan eh? Maybe Giants? Are you an Angels fan? Eh... Padres? Me too! :D Shucks, you ought to see me truckin' 'round those bases and slidin' into third with cowboy boots on! :roll: Well, the season is well under way now! Do you know what the average life span of a major league baseball is? The answer is below my signature. Welcome to WD, Cabonaia!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Only 7 pitches.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 07:07

Hey CW - happy to be here! Thanks for the kind welcome. Yeah, it's the Giants though I couldn't call myself a very faithfull fan.

Have been making sausages on and off for a long time, but never got too good at it. Still trying for the perfect linguica and never coming even close! Now getting into the fermented stuff. Just bit into new batches of "tuscan salami" (wow!), Spanish chorizo (varied results), and soprasatta (failure!).

Looking forward to learning from the vast wisdom of this crowd!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 08:42

Cabonaia,
All the dry-cured recipes and posts are in the "Microbiology Of Meats" Forum at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewforum.ph ... e591aaf843
A good place to start ironing out any trouble spots is by reading "Project A" listed in the stickies at the top of the page. Here`s a quick link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5099

This was a dry-curing project undertaken by nine members all at the same time. It turned out to be very interesting with lots of information posted. It was our hope that others might learn from the mistakes made over the period of a few months. The members posted a wealth of information. It may be beneficial to you. Good luck in your endeavors. Yell if anyone can help. There are several experienced dry-curing yahoos around here.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 17:12

Thanks - you are a very welcoming moderator! I've read "Project A" before and think I will again. It is good stuff. I'm about to build fermentation and curing chambers and I recall there is good advice about those things in there. I was able to dry salami over the winter because the weather here in the bay area lets you do that, but now it's warming up and I definitely need a controlled environment.

And yes, I will be yelling for advice sooner than later!