Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 07:42

Howdy Redzed on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. Welcome to WD. You`re going to like this place. Be sure to put your pin in the WD map.
Hey Redzed, did you know that watermelons are actually vegetables? Yup, citrullus lanatus! They're cousins to the cucumber and the gourd, and over 1,200 varieties of watermelons are grown in over 96 countries worldwide. For many reasons, only about 200 varieties of watermelon are produced throughout the United States. In 1990, Bill Carson, of Arrington, Tennessee, grew the largest watermelon on record. At 262 pounds, it is still listed in the Guinness Book of World Records. I wonder what he used to eat the danged thing with. :roll: Nice to have you with us Redzed.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Apr 23, 2012 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 21, 2012 16:56

Thanks Chuckwagon for the welcome. I have been lurking here for a while and see that you are doing a great job in moderating this forum. The help that you are providing and the time you dedicate here is very much appreciated. I have just recently got into sausage making although I am no stranger to it. My father is a Polish immigrant who owned an abattoir in Saskatchewan. Although the main part of the business was slaughter and processing, he also made a couple varieties of sausage and great tasting ham and bacon. I used to spend my summers working there while going to university, but at that time I had little interest in learning the trade. Today at 88 my dad continues to make large quantities of sausage in his home and people travel far for it. I'm 2,000 km away from this source of sausage so I now make my own. Fortunately there is a ton of info available on the internet and especially sites like this, (I also can read and write in Polish). And of course when I'm stuck on something, I call my dad. So you can expect me to hang around here, learn from you guys and share my successes and failures.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 08:23

There`s another wrangler joining the yahoos, hooligans, and buckaroos at the WD Ranch. Welcome to Tbkmn in Michigan. Do all you sausagemakers realize that Michigan has the world's largest limestone quarry (just outside Rogers City on "Calcite Road"), AND the world`s largest cement plant (in nearby Alpena in the Thunder Bay)? Wow, I wonder how many dams have been built with Michigan cement. Nice to have you with us Tbkmn.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:34

Howdy Demco11. Welcome to WD... the best sausage-making site in the universe. I was just lookin` all over the records and saw your date of birth. I was vacationing in your wonderful city when you were being born! Yup, I fell in love with Vancouver long ago. I`ve always had a "hankerin" to see your wonderful Vancouver Symphony at the Orpheum.
Demco, I`ve got some great "Saddlebum`s Western Wisdom" for you: Never go to bed angry... stay up and plot your revenge! :roll:
Nice to have you with us Demco11.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 01, 2012 21:41

Welcome to the WD ranch Oldmud in Michigan! Pull up some campfire and make yourself at home. Okay Cowboys, the first one to answer these five questions correctly, wins a genuine season pass for swimming in the Great Salt Lake. :shock: The answers will be posted in the next welcome. We`re glad to have you with us Oldmud!

1. What do 100% of all lottery winners do?
2. In a recent survey, Americans revealed that this aroma was their favorite smell. What is it?
3. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter "A"?
4. What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers all have in common?
5. Married men revealed that they do something twice as often as single men. They do what?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue May 01, 2012 21:49

3. 1000
5. Change their undies.

I best stop there.

After having bobbed about in the Dead Sea brine for an extended period, I have no desire to plunge into the Great Salt Lake...

:mrgreen:

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 01, 2012 22:39

Another sausage-makin` wrangler ridin` into camp today from Hagfors, Sweden, home of the Swedish Car Rally. Welcome to the WD ranch Korv-olle. Throw yer` rig on the top rung and pull up some campfire. Have yourself a swaller of ssorllih ` s coffee... that ought ta` clear yer` throat and curl your toenails! :shock: Welcome aboard Korv-olle.

Ok smoke addicts, here are the answers to the quiz: (1.) gain weight (2.) banana (3.) one thousand (4.) all invented by women (5.) change their underwear

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. NorCalKevin... did you know the other three answers? If you did, I'll change the swimming pass to a season fishin' license good anytime on the Great Salt Lake.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue May 01, 2012 22:52

Its gonna take a while before I can make a good pot! Somebody washed the pot last week and it takes at least a week to brew up a good pot of coffee. Most folks throw out the grounds when they make coffee but it turns out better when you just add water and coffee as it runs low. Just give it a good stir when you add the coffee and fresh water and let her come to a boil. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed May 02, 2012 00:53

Ross...
I prefer to toss my coffee grounds after each use. My wife adds them to our garden to help acidify the soil in certain areas.

Coffee is ideally brewed between 198-204°f, since water is a better 'solvent' at near-but not at-boiling temperature. Hotter than that temp range & the water leaches out the bitterness from the ground coffee. And freshness is critical to getting the most from the bean. Old grounds merely contain the acidic residue left over from the leaching process and oils that remain quickly turn bitter & rancid. Rhododendrons and azaleas love the stuff, though. :mrgreen:

I'm no coffee lightweight, as I do like a killer freshly dark-roasted, slightly-bitter cup of smokin' joe with no sugar, cream or other pollutants.

CW- I had no idea people find the smell of bananas so inviting. I would have guessed 'chocolate chip cookies'-since many realtors advise home-sellers to bake daily batches in order to fill the house-for-sale with a wonderful, enticing aroma people love.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 02, 2012 01:08

CW, We is got a problem! I think that the "kid" believed me. But you know of course that when you make coffee you drop a horse shoe into the pot if it sinks, you add more coffee when it floats, you stir until it dissolves.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed May 02, 2012 01:32

Would that be a concave or plain-stamped shoe you're tossing into the pot?

As you well know, I've very finicky when it comes to coffee...
:wink:

Kevin
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 02, 2012 01:48

Used, well thrown and alfresco.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed May 02, 2012 06:16

Ross and Kevin, on the ranch we had an old saying, "There's no such thing as strong coffee... just weak people!" :shock:
But, say there fellars... Look up that cactus draw... who`s the pie-eatin` pilgrim all played out on that picayune piebald paint? Seems ta` me I recon seein` his plank on a post office wanted poster. I do believe this lone hand has ridden the Owl Hoot Trail west of the Colorado, an` I`m opined ta` believe he`ll ride fer` the brand if`n we'll put a feed bag on him!
Welcome to Wedliny Domowe Brody in New York!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed May 02, 2012 12:39

As a young airman stationed in Germany the ol' Chiefmaster Sergeant caught me starting to scrub out the coffee pot. Believe me I never made that mistake again!!!!!! Fresh grounds and seasoned pot makes all the difference for GI coffee.

Here in PC the water is a 7.6 pH that is suppose to be great for coffee. We do make a very good cup here at the "Lamberossa" home.
Dick

Never quit learning!
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed May 02, 2012 18:17

Similar story here Dick. In my first week working inside Cheyenne Mountain, in Colorado back in 1972, the Chief put me on coffee detail. Not only did I wash out the pot, but all the cups too! Then I made a fresh pot with hot water just to get it done quicker. :shock:

I heard about it for the entire 14 month tour before I transferred to Germany. Couldn't get away fast enough! :mrgreen:

Jim