Sausage "Chatter"

IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

USA source for beef or pork blood?

Post by IdaKraut » Sun Mar 25, 2012 21:36

I really enjoy blood sausages such as Blut Zungenwurst (blood and tongue sausage) and Blutwurst (blood sausage). Unfortunately in the US it is darn near impossible to find sources for beef or pork blood. I know in Europe dried blood is easily obtained and used for black puddings and such. The only blood I have been able to buy around here is at the bigger Asian food markets where they have both beef and pork blood in 10 oz tubs which are usually frozen. They seem rather watered down however. So my question is, where are the commercial sausage factories in this country getting their blood from, in case anyone knows, and would a home sausage maker be able to obtain some? Thanks,

Rudy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 25, 2012 21:48

I should think that there is a butcher within fifty miles of you that will catch and save a bucket of blood if you ask. It doesn't keep well and you would practically need to be there to take it when it was drawn.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 25, 2012 22:37

How far are you from Sandpoint? There are three shops listed three butcher shops listed there.
Ross- tightwad home cook
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: USA source for beef or pork blood?

Post by vagreys » Sun Mar 25, 2012 22:50

IdaKraut wrote:...So my question is, where are the commercial sausage factories in this country getting their blood from, in case anyone knows, and would a home sausage maker be able to obtain some?
They get it either from their own slaughter operations, from their butchers, or from another slaughterhouse and meat packer. If I were you, I'd start with local hog farms, then branch out to area slaughterhouses/meat packers.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 01:27

There is a Meat Seller In Kapowsin That sells pig blood. Kind of a long drive for yah to washington state. I doubt they would ship. It is available, you just gotta talk to the right people I guess.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Mon Mar 26, 2012 15:31

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Yes, I am in Sandpoint. There is a medium sized processor here that slaughters hogs and beef but will not collect or allow me to collect blood (they say it's against USDA standards). I've checked with every place within 100 mile radius and struck out. I even emailed Bavarian Meats in Seattle (they make all of the German blood sausages) and would not help me.

My friend used to raise beef until he had cardiac surgery last year. Until that time, I would help him butcher and collected blood to which I added trisodium citrate (anticoagulant). Now, however, I am left with the Asian markets. The blood they sell is only treated with salt and it is clotted. I was really hoping someone would know a source for dried blood in the US, that's what they use in Europe. It makes it super easy to make these delicious sausages.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 26, 2012 16:11

The Masai collect blood from their live cows and mingle it with milk for food.
Ross- tightwad home cook
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Mon Mar 26, 2012 16:45

ssorllih wrote:The Masai collect blood from their live cows and mingle it with milk for food.
Sounds yummy (NOT). I like my blood cooked.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Mar 26, 2012 18:06

Here in Buffalo, NY, we must be blessed as there are plenty of places that sell pork, duck and beef blood. As far as it being watery, they put in vinegar, I was told to act as a preservative. Don't know if you have any Amish in your area but they'll sell all kinds of stuff without a problem. Good Luck.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 18:46

I grew up eating Portuguese blood sausage - morcelas. Never had to fight with my sisters to get my share of that! :cool: Here in San Jose there are a lot of Asian butchers, and in their shops no part of the pig is wasted. So I am lucky. My priest is Korean and now that Lent is over he wants to make Korean blood sausage, called Soondae. It's got glass noodles, garlic, ginger, scallions, and toasted sesame oil in it. He will get the blood from a Korean store. I'll let you all know how it comes out!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

beef csabai

Post by crustyo44 » Sat May 12, 2012 21:22

Hi Members,
I was asked by a friend of mine to make him some beef sausages as I owed him some favours.
He liked them with paprika, chilli flakes, garlic, smoked, east european style etc etc.
I finished up using Sausageman's latest csabai recipe but with rump steak and 20% beef fat in 23 mm collagen casings. ( Thanks Gus)
The outcome was rather good, my friends likes them very much, my neighbours still rave on about them and me? I thought they were great.
My next experiment will be with the 1:4:5 soy protein isolate oil emulsion as outlined in "Making Healthy Sausages" by the Marianski's as the animal fat replacer.
I will be reporting the results on the forum.
Regards,
Jan.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon May 14, 2012 13:47

Jan, good job and I am looking forward to your next report.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 14, 2012 18:55

Hi Crusty,
Nice to hear about your success with the beef csabai. Anxious to hear about the emulsion and how it turn out. How about a couple of photos of the process as you start "whippin' oil"?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon May 14, 2012 21:16

Hi,
I will be taking some photo's of the whole process whichever way it turns out.
Luckily I have found a supplier that has the plain soy protein isolate for sale in smaller quantities. I am already stocked up with some fantastic Angus beef mince, minced before my own eyes.
Just goes to show you what a bottle of home made bourbon will achieve.
It all will have to wait until we get back from holiday next month.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 19, 2012 10:42

For those not familiar with this sausage, please find it at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5245
Our pal "Snagman" in Australia receives the credit for this one and it is magnificent! It has won our contest and it is a "sponsored" recipe on this site in the hall of fame. If you make it, please... please... do not substitute Hungarian paprika with bitter Spanish paprika. It's just like me... (just will not work!) :roll:
I can vouch for Snagman's Hungarian Csabai recipe. It is terrific!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D