Cold smoking sausage and finishing in oven/water?

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Cold smoking sausage and finishing in oven/water?

Post by atcNick » Tue Aug 14, 2012 05:35

Well, the thread I posted a couple days ago disappeared, so here it goes again:

Can I take a recipe for a hot smoked sausage and instead of hot smoking the sausage cold smoke it. Then when its had enough smoke bring it inside and simmer it to a finished internal temperature?

Can I do this with any recipe for a hot smoked sausage? Would the results be the same if I finished it in the smoker? I want to do this with Kabanosy.

The reason I ask is Im going to build another smokehouse with a seperate fire chamber that will have smoke channeled under ground to the smokehouse. I dont think I will be able to achieve high enough temperatures to cook the sausage in the smokehouse.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 06:06

Atcnick, your post wasn`t deleted. It was moved by a moderator to "sausage chat" in the sticky section at the top. It`s on the last page and already has an answer from ssorllih in Maryland.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Tue Aug 14, 2012 06:08

Oh ok. Thanks chuckwagon. I see it now. Why did you move it?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 06:46

Nick,
The topic "Sausages" was getting so many one or two line posts, the place was getting cluttered up. Nobody could find a thing. We had no choice but to strictly limit it to (1.) sausage recipes (2.) only photos with original recipes only, and (3.) technical or advanced questions inviting posts from several authors in which the topic could not be easily "split". All photos (without recipes) now go into the "sausage photo gallery". "Sausages" is still the largest forum but it contains mostly recipes and technical information about making one particular sausage type at a time.

If a question can be answered simply with just a few words, (as Ross answered your question), it's generally moved to the "sausage chat" section. Your question is an important one and more people will eventually view it in the "sticky" section, rather than becoming part of the archives over time.

Folks confused about where to post their topics may check this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5409

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 15, 2012 01:58

This is a good example of cold smoke and oven finish. First the links.Image
Then the smoke.Image
And then the finished product.Image
Cold smoked for four hours over apple. Baked at 170°F for about three hours to an IT of about 145°F Chilled in cold running water to set the juices.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:40

Looks good enough to eat! :mrgreen: What kind of casing are you using Ross?