[BEL] Chicken sausage

Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

[BEL] Chicken sausage

Post by Siara » Tue Apr 20, 2010 17:44

For total of 5 kg

A. INGREDIENTS:

1. Meat from whole chicken (3-5 whole chicken )

B. SPICES AND OTHER MATERIALS:

I. SPICES:

a) Used for curing:

1. peklosól - 0,10 kg
2. water 0,5 litre
3. white sugar 0,010kg

b) Added during production:

1. salt +/- 0,005 kg
2. black pepper - 0,005 kg
3. freshly grind dried coriander fruits - 0,0008 kg
4. freshly grind nutmeg seeds - 0,0006 kg

II. Additional materials:

1. Hog casings 32-36mm diameter but also can use 80-120 mm
2. Butchers twine ( cotton )

C. PREPARATION:

All meat should be cut in pieces of 3 cm or machine diced. Meat from legs grind on 5mm plate. Skin and fat grind twice on 3 mm plate

D. FINISHED PRODUCT:

Sausage not linked in continuous rope.

PREPARATION:

1. Curing

Peklosól & sugar dissolved in 0,5 litre of chilled water ( 6°C below )

2. Grinding:

According to point C.

3. Cut chicken apart

Separate chicken breast, wings, legs, skin and fat. Neck, wings and remaining bones can be used as the base to cook bullion. Next weight all the meat, skin and fat, total weight will be your base to add cure and spices.

4. Mixing

Mix all types of meat, adding cure solution until all is absorbed by the meat, this should take from 5 to 10 min. We press the mass in the proper bowl to remove eventual air pockets, and put in the fridge for 24 hours. After this time we mix again for 5 min and return to fridge for next 24 hours. Temperature should not exceed 6°C.

5. Stuffing

Use hog casing 32 - 36 mm. Tie up end of hog casing by making knot. You can also use butchers twine. Remove visible air pockets with a needle. Divide continuous rope by twisting to 10-15 cm pieces. Leave the sausage in continuous rope.
Put back into fridge for max 24 hour.

6. Smoking:

Hot smoke during 120-150 min. until dark brown color.

7. Boiling:

Put the sausage to water at temp. 65-72 st.C until temperature inside the sausage will reach 68°C. Slowly rise water temperature.

8. Cooling:

Hot sausage has to be placed in cold water for 30 minutes, next put in the fridge for 12 hours.

Original recipe by Andzio
Translated by Siara
Pictures by Leszek Chojnowski

Last edited by Siara on Mon Jan 16, 2012 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 21:30

Hi Siara,
Incredible photos and recipe! Thank you for posting them. I can't get over the professional cutting, trimming, and preparation of the chickens in the first photo. Whoever prepared the chickens is a master with a knife! Absolutely incredible.
I took one look at those sausages and had to run to the butcher's store with a few of my hard earned sheckles! I bought 4 chickens and came home with a nasty look on my face and found a sharp knife. Wow, I'm finally going to try it. Thanks to Andzio for the recipe and Leszek Chojnowski for the photos. And to you Siara, for translating! We appreciate it VERY much.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Apr 21, 2010 01:35

Siara,

Can you tell me why the product is chilled so long? 24 hours after first mix, 24 hours after second mix and again after stuffing and prior to smoking?

I have always tried to keep the meat cold during the mixing and stuffing process but have never chilled as in your recipe.

Dave Zac
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Wed Apr 21, 2010 06:39

Dave Zac, you add cure solution to the meat and cure the product in the fridge for this 2 x 24 h before stuffing. Many sausage recipes requires to cure you meat for 24 to 72 hours.
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 09:09

Hi Dave,
This time for flavor to blend and especially bacteria to become friendly, is called the "Lag Phase" in sausage circles. Its mostly found in products that have a slight fermented flavor.
Hey Dave, if you come hunting out here in the west, you will have to get a license for the "Eastern Utah Rhinoseroushorse". An animal so dangerous we have to shoot 'em with bazookas! Ordinary rifles won't work. The Rhinoseroushorse is just too tough! And it flies through the air with ease, but stumbles over left over firewood. Don't make one of them mad, as they will charge your home and destroy it! They carry a grudge for months and will return at any time, just because they feel so ornery! This animal is so dangerous, the only way we can get rid of them is to drive them into the Great Salt Lake and drown them! A hard task, as most of them float quite a while! We have to stomp on them with hip waders, sometimes for hours and hours. Actually they make great sausage, but I've never known many men who would even dare cut one up into pieces, let alone put one through a grinder! :wink:
My best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Wed Apr 21, 2010 18:06

In Poland we call them rabbits and make sausages from them :wink:
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 04:14

Wow, Are Polish rabbits that tough?! We are impressed! By the way Siara, have you ever heard of Ute Rabbit? It is a Ute Indian recipe for fried rabbit (olive oil) with orange juice and garlic. And wow, it is delicious! I would rather eat rabbits than anything on the earth. But here in America, most people object to people eating their pets. Not me! I'd eat a rabbit in a sausage, fried, roasted, boiled, broiled, or just cooked on a stick over a campfire. There is no better meat than rabbit. I am rabbit crazy. Have you got any special recipes for rabbits. Sure would like to trade you a recipe or two for some good rabbit know-how.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon

PS. Perhaps you would trade me for my special Salt Lake Tuna Fish Recipe. The Salt Lake tunafish is as big as a cow and comes out of the water only on full-moon nights when it walks upright on its fins. The salt water makes the skin become so tough it resembles leather! Then all our cows throw fits of jealousy! Anyway, if you want to come fishing with me, you'll have to bring a machine gun!
Your pal, Chuckwagon