[POL] Pierogi

Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

[POL] Pierogi

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:32

OK, while this isn't sausage related specifically, I am very curious to find a traditional Polish recipe for pierogies. My grandma on my Dad's side is from Poland and we have a recipe from my Mom that we make but I think it has changed over time.

The dough is flour, water, and sour cream and the filling is always potato or potato and farmers cheese. The pierogi is boiled and then pan fried before serving. We have actually began making them very large (5"-6") and serving with maple syrup over them. While delicious, I want traditional.

Can they be filled with sausage?

Dave Zac
Last edited by Dave Zac on Fri May 18, 2012 06:33, edited 2 times in total.
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 19:07

Hi ,In Poland we have several types of "pierogi" which can have a different stuffing (filling). I make the dough for pierogi using wheat flour, lukewarm water, a little oil and salt. Some add a egg .After kneating the dough is non-adhesive and flexible. We have sweet filling like :cottage cheese with sugar or blueberries or strawberries .This tape of pierogi we serve with a sour cream and sugar on the top. But more popular are pierogi with cooked meat, shredded and seasoned or cabbage ( not fresh sweet but sauerkraut - I don't know if this word is correct) with dried natural mushrooms from the forest (ultimately may be mushrooms from the store) or my favourite named "ruskie" ( Russian -I don't know why :roll: ) with white, cottage cheese , boiled potatoes (both grind), fried onion, salt ,pepper .This kind of pierogi we can eat with "skwarki "on the top.Of course there are other types of fillings but they are the most popular.
Image Image
{photos by andrzejk and andy from polish forum}
Can they be filled with sausage?
I never tried but ...
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Apr 27, 2010 19:22

Thanks Chudziak. They look delicious with a lot of time spent on making them look pretty. I love sauerkraut. That should be a fine addition. Diced Kielbasa and sauerkraut :lol:

I have also recently been learning to collect wild mushrooms and love them too. The aroma when they are drying is unbelievable.

They look like they were simply boiled and plated. Are they not pan fried at all?

Dave Zac
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 19:38

Dave Zac wrote:Diced Kielbasa and sauerkraut
I think is better to grind.
Dave Zac wrote:They look like they were simply boiled and plated. Are they not pan fried at all?
This kind with sweet filling we only boil but this second kind first boil and then ,if you want , you can fry them on the pan ( for instans the next day)
shadow

Post by shadow » Fri May 07, 2010 22:12

Hi,

here is my recipe for dough:
1 kg wheat flour
1 egg
420 ml luke warm water
half of warm butter (100g)
little bit of salt and sugar

Ussualy I made filled with beef, or sour cabbage (sauerkraut) or "ruskie", as chudziak mensioned, but instead of onin I use fresh garlic or with spinach and feta cheese.
I think frying on the pan before serving depends on gusto. I like it fryied on butter, my wife's not.

Regards
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 08, 2010 05:40

Hey Shadow,
I can hardly wait to try this recipe. Especially with spinach and Feta cheese. Thank you. It looks delicious. I'll bet that Dave actually beats me to it. He's got a brand new grandchild that is probably keeping him pretty busy. He's sure to try the dough with warm butter and filled with his favorite sauerkraut (me too!).
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun May 09, 2010 14:26

I do plan on trying both sauerkraut and spinach with feta soon. They sound delicious indeed. Thanks for recipes folks
shadow

Post by shadow » Sun May 09, 2010 21:03

For good results I'll give you whole recipie for spinnach filiing:
100g spinnach (frozen whole leaves)
20g smoked bacon
half of little onion (cut into little pieces)
1 chopped champignon
1 small pice of garlic (how do you call whole head and separate pieces???)
one dash fresh cream
thickener - roux (butter and flour)
feta cheese cut into 0,5x0,5 cm cubes (it's hard, I know)

First add on frying pan one dash of oil of olives, bacon, onion an champignon. Cook for two minutes add garlic and spinnach. Add little bit of salt, sugar, black pepper. If its good, add one dash of sweet cream and thick with roux. Cool it down, and its even better to freeze 1 hour (better for forming). I use two tea spoons to form a ball. Put it on the dough add three to four feta cubes and seal it off removing all free air. DONE

Moreover, Ussualy I do over 200 pieces so I don't cook them, but instead of it I'm frozing it, using strech foil as a separator in deep freezer (to avoid sticking).
When I'm hungry I take as I wish and cook as I like

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regards
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 10, 2010 00:33

Shadow,
That sounds exquisite! Thank you.
1 small pice of garlic (how do you call whole head and separate pieces???)
The whole head is called the head in the USA. The separate pieces are called "cloves" of garlic.
Now, what is champignon? You've got me on that one. :???: Wow, I can hardly wait to make this stuff. Thank you very much. Oh, by the way... to avoid a mess cutting Feta cheese, use dental floss instead of a knife. Much easier.
Dave, I just might beat you to it. :wink:
Best wishes, Chuckwagon [/quote]
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Mon May 10, 2010 09:45

Chuckwagon wrote:Now, what is champignon?
In Poland we distinguish between wild and farmed mushrooms. This farmed we call champignon.Wild mushrooms we pick up in the forest and there are many species of them ( some inedible).
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Mon May 10, 2010 10:48

This farmed we call champignon (lat.Agaricus bitorquis)

This is the king of wild mushrooms in Poland (lat. Boletus edulis)
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon May 10, 2010 13:00

Oh my. That Bolete looks tremendous. I have a friend from the Czech Republic that is teaching me to identify mushrooms. We have picked Boletes, Chanterelles, Oyster. The aroma of drying wild mushrooms is tremendous.

Yes CW, you may just beat me to the pierogies :lol:
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Jun 17, 2010 16:41

Well, for what it's worth, I made the pierogies last weekend. I made spinach and feta from the recipe posted by Shadow, and sauerkraut. The dough was from the recipe posted by Shadow as well. I wasn't a big fan of the wheat flour; probably because I'm used to white flour. Otherwise, they were delicious. I can't make them pretty either when I close the dough.

Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Thu Jun 17, 2010 17:07

Good looking pierogi Dave. I'm going to see if I can get the wife to make some. She makes ravioli should be about the same.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 05:24

Hey Chudziak,
You are one heck of a good photographer. You must have been at it for years eh? Fixing teeth must make you somewhat of a perfectionist. What's in the curing room? Anything exciting? Kabanosy maybe? I'm going to try some sausage with bacon in it. I can't remember what you call it in Poland, but I'll find it if I look hard enough. I just can't remember where I filed the recipe. Maybe it's under L for "lost". :roll:
Best wishes, Chuckwagon