User

[CAN] Hungarian Bratwurst

Post by toolmann » Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:43

pork meat with 20% fatt

16-18 g sea salt/kg to taste
5 g pepper black/kg
3-5 g garlic /kg to taste
10 g hungarian sweet red paprika/kg

grind meat thru 6 mm plate mix well and stuff in 29-32 casings , twist them 20cm long

good for frying or grilling
Last edited by toolmann on Sun Jan 15, 2012 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 00:07

Toolmann,
Got to love that sweet paprika eh?
Lots of folks have trouble getting it - the Hungarian (sweet) stuff. Most of the paprika available is Spanish paprika and it is a little more bitter.
Our buddy Steelchef in Ft. St. John, B.C. smokes his own! He has offered to share his recipe to anyone who asks. If you'd like to smoke your own, shoot him a PM.
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Thu Jan 27, 2011 07:23

Chuckwagon wrote:He has offered to share his recipe to anyone who asks. If you'd like to smoke your own, shoot him a PM.
Hey, why not posting it on the forum, and make available for everyone :wink:
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Thu Jan 27, 2011 16:11

Chuckwagon wrote:Toolmann,
Got to love that sweet paprika eh?
Lots of folks have trouble getting it - the Hungarian (sweet) stuff. Most of the paprika available is Spanish paprika and it is a little more bitter.
Our buddy Steelchef in Ft. St. John, B.C. smokes his own! He has offered to share his recipe to anyone who asks. If you'd like to smoke your own, shoot him a PM.
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
yep i do !! got lots off it straight from hungary !!!
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Thu Jan 27, 2011 22:50

I started adding various items to my smoker, experimentally, many years ago. Some of the most successful have been:

Salt, table and kosher or sea salt, (great on eggs or pretty much everything)
Dill, dried
Garlic (sliced in two or three) and garlic powder,
Onions (¼"slices) and onion flakes,
Jalapenos, dried
Chili powder,
Coffee beans,
Cocoa powder, (great for molés)
Pasta, (awesome change of pace for macaroni dishes)
Rice, split peas, lentils etc.
Sardines, (oil or water packed & thoroughly drained)
Tomatoes, dried (I usually dry them in the smoker, on a screen from my regular dryer) the screen cleans up nicely in the dishwasher. Same applies to the garlic, onion and jalapenos. Et cetera!

The most successful of all has been Paprika. Smokey paprika is hard to find in the supermarket and expensive. I just dump the much cheaper Spanish variety into a foil pie plate and put it on a shelf above the meat. When the chips need replenishing I give it a good stir and continue. I`ve used every kind of wood and it`s all good. Some is kept separate, such as maple which I like to add to bacon rub but I generally blend it together for all-purpose use.

Quality control or reproducing exact results would be a desirable objective but has never been an issue with the many friends and neighbours that bring me their bulk paprika for smoking. My personal preference leans toward hickory and mesquite for all purpose use but my current blend includes those plus maple, apple, cherry and alder.

Other than the fresh items which must be dried on screens, the pie plate principal works for all powdered or granulated products.

As in all smoking, experimentation is the only way to develop a taste that fits your palate.

Check out the rub recipe that I posted on "justsmokedsalmon.com"

http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/alderre ... PurposeRub
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 01:11

Awesome Colin,
Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. I'm going to try some tonight. I'll bet it's pretty good sprinkled on scrambled eggs eh?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Jan 28, 2011 06:09

Hey Chuckaroo!

The recipe warned against using on eggs but sparingly it might be OK.
You folks from the southern states have a tolerance for caustic heat that would make most of us, po' northern neighbours, seek medical aid.
Hope you enjoy!

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.