[USA] Chuckwagon's Canadian Bacon

Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 20:17

I am making canadian bacon for the first time with the following recipe. The amount of cure #1 seems like it's way too much but I wanted to get some answers from those with more experience. I don't know if the amount is so high because it's a wet cure?
Thanks,
Wayne

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html
Last edited by Gray Goat on Sun Dec 21, 2014 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 20:36

I've seen them as high as 5 oz. of cure before when using a brine. The cure will not be as concentrated on the meat since it's dissolved in the brine solution.

Looks like a good recipe, try it out and let us know how it goes.

Charlie
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 21:05

Thanks Charlie, I just want to make sure because I keep seeing the warnings about using too much or too little of the cure. I went with the recipe as is and I'll see what happens :grin:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 08:20

[USA] Chuckwagon`s Canadian Bacon
(Brine Cured, Smoked, Pork Loin)

Many meat products are soaked in saltwater brine with added nitrite. Often, up to fifteen percent of the meat`s weight in brine, is injected throughout the product to ensure complete distribution. One of the most popular meat products cured in this manner is Canadian Bacon which is not bacon at all. Pork loins are trimmed of their silver skin and excess fat, and cured in a strong saltwater solution containing Prague Powder #1. Ten percent of each loin`s weight is calculated and that much brine is injected into each loin. Very small "shots" are injected equally into several places in each loin. To determine the correct amount of brining solution to inject, simply weigh the meat. Move the decimal point one place to the left to determine the weight of ten per cent solution. In other words, if the meat weighs 15 pounds, inject 1.5 pounds of brine into the loins. Next, the loins are placed into the leftover brine and refrigerated. Note that it is most important to keep the temperature as near 38°;F. (3°;C.) as possible. Temperatures much above that point may enable the meat to begin spoiling; below that point, the cure`s effectiveness may be compromised.

10 lbs. pork loins
3 tblspns. Cure #1
4 qts. icewater
3/4 cup powdered dextrose
1/2 cup salt

Following the fifth day brining, soak the loins in fresh, cold, water for an hour and then pat them dry with a paper towel. I like to roll Canadian Bacon in plenty of freshly cracked black peppercorns before they go into the smoker. The meat (and the pepper) is slowly smoke-roasted (about 5 hours) to an internal meat temperature of 150°F. (66°C.), making it one of the most delicious types of ham you may slide across your tongue!

"On the trail" without refrigeration, a portable cooler containing cubed ice or snow may be used to cover and keep the water and the loins as close to 38° F. (3° C.) as possible while the meat cures. As the ice melts, the solution becomes weaker and diluted as water is poured off each day. Compensation for the loss of salt and cure must be made by adding a teaspoon of Cure # 1 and two tablespoons salt, once a day on each of the last three days of curing. Be sure to completely dissolve the cure into the water just before adding more ice to the cooler to compensate for that which has melted. (If you are using snow, be sure to pack it inside a large, plastic, zip-lock type bag.) At the end of the fifth day, soak the loins in cold, clean, water for an hour. Dry the loins completely before smoking them. Lots of folks roll Canadian Bacon in yellow cornmeal rather than black pepper. They call it "peameal bacon". Some misguided individuals and misunderstood souls even omit the smoking. :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Mar 09, 2014 00:37, edited 5 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 00:35

This is very similar to the "Canadian Bacon" that I make. I often add 1 cup of maple syrup to the brine. The maple syrup provides a pleasant buffer to the salt, while adding a "Canadian" twist to the final product. I sometimes roll the loin in corn meal prior to smoking.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 05, 2011 15:07

One of the local markets has whole pork loin on sale this week for $1.27 per pound. I think it is time.
Ross- tightwad home cook
kellis

Post by kellis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 18:50

Following chuckwagons receipe and had to pull meat off at only 145 deg (had to go meet new grandchild) should I put back on to reach 150 deg or is safe the way it is? Thanks kevin
kevin
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 19:03

kellis wrote:should I put back on to reach 150 deg or is safe the way it is?
Heres a easy-to-read chart on meat safety from the marianski book & site:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 04:50

We've got 2 Kevins!
K.(Ellis) is having a new grandchild! Now, THAT's exciting. These little folks make the world go round. Shucks, I believe it's up to our generation to bring them up on healthy, decent, sausage! :wink:
Oh yes, back to the question. Kellis, 145° will be fine. The threat of trichinella spirallis is destroyed at 138° and that's the main concern. The "carry-over" effect should finish it at just the right temperature. To tell you the absolute truth, 145° is where I remove mine too. Most of the time, the meat will be cooked again anyway, and will reach 155 or 160 in your frying pan.
You'll be fine with it. Let us know how it tastes. How about a photo if you get a chance?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
kellis

Post by kellis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 15:52

Welcomed a new grand daughter norah into the world 6/8/12! Wanted to compliment Chuckwagon on the candian bacon receipe it was excellent! But was even better was your maple bacon receipe !! I tried it on our first BLT's of year (home grown tomatoes) and OMG!!! I will never buy bacon again unbelivable flavor thanks again! Chuckwagon if your ever thur the kansas city area during the summer I'll make you the best BLT you,ve ever had or we'll some of the best bbq in the world ! thanks again, Kevin
kevin
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 05:23

Hi Kevin and congratulations grandpa! Norah is a cool name. I'll bet she is a cutie eh?
And thank you sir, for the wonderful compliments about my recipes. You just made my entire week my friend. :wink: And don't be too surprised if someday Uwanna and I show up at your door for a great BLT. I really like your town - lots of good folks there! Keep up the good work. What's next on your project list? Ham? Sausage?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. I've mentioned maple syrup rubbed into my bacons in some recipes, but I suspect the recipe you were thinking about was placed by Devo in Canada. It is at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 5e723#5325
Devo has a great recipe there with nice photos too. At any rate, we're glad you enjoyed the bacon!
ptrezza

canadian bacon- too salty

Post by ptrezza » Sat Apr 20, 2013 13:08

Well I made the canadian bacon recipe from this site, and it came out over the top way too salty

I wish I would have read peoples notes on this forum

I am now trying to slice and "rinse" it or I just killed 7 pounds of meat
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Re: canadian bacon- too salty

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Apr 20, 2013 16:07

ptrezza wrote:Well I made the canadian bacon recipe from this site, and it came out over the top way too salty. I wish I would have read peoples notes on this forum I am now trying to slice and "rinse" it or I just killed 7 pounds of meat
A good, thorough soak & rinsing is essential post ANY extended brining period. This may entail multiple rinse bathes & soaks-then fry samples to determine the level of saltiness desired PRIOR to smoking.

I had a batch that came out way too salty as well -and wound up using the CB for flavoring cooked greens and large pots of beans & soups.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 20, 2013 16:22

When I cure butts for CB or rolled smoked butt I cut the pieces to approximate the size of a loin and give them about 10 to 14 days with a 2% salt .25% cure#1 and about 2% sugar and molassas with the whole business in a plastic bag in a cold fridge(31°F). That way for me it is completely dependable and predictable. I don't rinse I simple tie the piece for shape allow it to dry and smoke it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:21

A while back I also posted about some Ham that came out way too salty, even after a 2 day nap in the Refrigerator.
At the time someone suggested I soak the whole smoked Ham in water overnight; let it normalize in the Refrigerator 1 day after and it worked well.
Ron