[USA] Recipe for Hungarian Sausage

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Recipe for Hungarian Sausage

Post by Blackriver » Tue Feb 08, 2011 00:42

A guy I work with told me his grandpa used to make hungarian sausage. He dug out the recipe and gave me a copy. I would like to share it.

Hungarian Sausage

10 lbs of Pork shoulder
4 ounces of salt
2 ounces of red paprika
1/2 ounce black pepper
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp marjoram
1 head of garlic
1 cup of water
2 tsp instacure #1(If smoking)

Me personally, it seems like a lot of salt.
Last edited by Blackriver on Sun Jan 15, 2012 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:01

I think the salt is about spot on for that amount of meat, but the other ingredients seem to be off a bit for 10#.

The cure amount may be too much though. 10# of meat = 4.54kg or 4536 grams. For that amount of meat you would need just over 11 grams of cure or approximately 1.25 teaspoons. The amount specified would put the cure around 165 ppm, whereas 1.25 tsp would be approximately 156 ppm.

2 oz. of paprika seems a bit high to me as well. for 10# of meat I generally use around 5-6 tsp (10-12 grams) and get nice color with a bit of flavor since I use smoked.

pepper sounds good

Allspice - I think the flavor of the allspice will be lost to the other spices in that small of an amount. Some folks don't care for the flavor of the allspice, and some LOVE it. I'd bump it up some and see how it goes. You can add more after a test fry.

Cayenne, cloves, and marjoram are to taste and those may be close to what would work for most tastes.

1 full head of fresh garlic in 10# of meat would have me sleeping on the couch! :shock: Might be a little stout for some.

I'd try and make a small batch of around 2#, using the seasonings sparingly, as a test and see what you come out with. After frying up a patty you can adjust from there if you start with SMALL amounts of seasonings. It's a lot easier to add a bit more spice than it is to grind more meat to add in.

As always, it's truly best to get to where you are using weights in lieu of teaspoons, tablespoons, etc... With weights you know you are doing it the same each time, with the spoons and such you can get too much or too little quickly.

Now, I've only recently gotten back into sausage making after a hiatus, but I made or helped make MORE than I care to remember up until about 15 years ago... Funny, I used to HATE making the stuff, now once again I crave the real thing and am back at it, but I don't have dad and the uncles telling me how to do it! :lol:

I may also get the smack down from CW and Siara for critiquing someone's recipe. :lol:

I just don't want you to be disappointed if things don't work out.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 07:57

CrankyBuzzard wrote:
I may also get the smack down from CW and Siara for critiquing someone's recipe.
Charlie
Hey Cranky, Not to worry. A friendly, helpful exchange of ideas and information is what this forum is all about... as long as it is done in the spirit of brotherhood and good intent. You certainly qualified that when you said:
Constructive criticism is certainly welcome. Scott is just passing on his friend's recipe and I'm sure he is happy to see you respond to his post. Heck pard, he didn't write the recipe himself, so why would he be offended? I agree there is one heck of a lot of garlic in the recipe... and I crave the stuff! Hey, the guy who wrote the recipe probably didn't even have a wife if he used that much garlic :shock: . Two cloves of garlic in ten lbs. would do the trick for me. :wink: Keep on exchanging ideas and info folks.

Here is the breakdown on Blackriver's recipe:

10 lbs of Pork shoulder
4 ounces of salt - (113 grams) Ouch! That's nearly 1/2 cup Scott! Note: 1 cup of salt weighs 10.3 ounces
(Ten pounds of sausage only needs only about 4 Tblspns.) One-half cup is 8 Tblspns.
2 ounces of red paprika - 57 grams - Wow, that's over 9 Tblspns! Two is plenty.
1/2 ounce black pepper - 14 grams 6-1/2 tspns.
1/2 tsp allspice - 1 gram
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper - .90 gram
1/2 tsp cloves - .90 gram
1 tsp marjoram - 2.1 grams
1 head of garlic - -----
1 cup of water - -----
2 level tsp instacure #1(If smoking) - proper amount. (11.32 grams)

If you make this sausage, you just may wish to adjust the salt, garlic, and the paprika! :shock:
More western wisdom here: A mouse trap placed on top of your alarm clock will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button. :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Jan 15, 2012 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed Feb 09, 2011 23:14

I totally agree with Chuckwagon. That is why I like to post recipes because I love to have other people's opinion. It makes me a better sausagemaker. Even if it was my own recipe it would not bother me. Thanks Charlie for your input. I will try your suggestions when I try this recipe.
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Thu Feb 10, 2011 00:06

Blackriver; Thanks for sharing that recipe, from the ingredients with the cloves and allspice it reminds of a sausage I used to get when I lived in Chicago and it was very good. Two thumbs up for Blackriver. :grin:
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Tue Feb 22, 2011 18:02

hi guys !

i grew up near the hungarian border , had hungarians working with me . the real hungarian sausage has only 3 kinds of red paprika , black pepper , garlic and salt for fresh and cure for smoked sausage and the gyulai kolbasz has also i bit fennel in it , plus all have a bit of icing sugar added , if any one wants the recepies please let me know
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 01:22

toolmann wrote:hi guys !

i grew up near the hungarian border , had hungarians working with me . the real hungarian sausage has only 3 kinds of red paprika , black pepper , garlic and salt for fresh and cure for smoked sausage and the gyulai kolbasz has also i bit fennel in it , plus all have a bit of icing sugar added , if any one wants the recepies please let me know
Yes please! :mrgreen:

Also, keep in mind that there is a recipe of the month here as well, could be a winner, but you have to post pics and such... No pics, didn't happen... :wink:

Looking forward to the recipes either way!

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 05:24

Toolman wrote:
if any one wants the recepies please let me know
Hey, hey, toolman! I sure would be interested in seeing those recipes. Why don't you post 'em and try for the "recipe of the month" for February. We're quickly running out of "month"! :wink:

Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Wed Feb 23, 2011 14:26

ok , i will do that today

siggi
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Wed Feb 23, 2011 19:25

Gyulai Kolbasz

pork shoulder fat ratio 8,5-1,5%
salt 22g
cure #1 2,5g
sweet red paprika 6g
hot red paprika 2g
chilli 2g
white pepper 2g
black pepper 2g
fennel 1g
garlic 5g

cube the meat let it rest in the fridge for 24hrs , grind fat thru 3mm plate , mix all the ingredients together , let rest in the fridge for 24 hrs , grind everything thru 6 mm plate , mix well again , stuff into 30-32 mm casings , make 30-40 cm long pairs , let hang to cure for 2-3 days , cold smoke to redish brown colour , hang to dry in a cool place and store away .
salsiccia re

Post by salsiccia re » Sun Aug 12, 2012 01:21

Cranky
We use 1.56 ounces of paprika in our 5 pound formula for smoked Hungarian paprika sausage
Blair
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 12, 2012 02:06

salsiccia re wrote:Cranky
We use 1.56 ounces of paprika in our 5 pound formula for smoked Hungarian paprika sausage
Blair
The rest of the recipe please.
Ross- tightwad home cook