[CAN] Turkey snack stix

Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

[CAN] Turkey snack stix

Post by Big Guy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 14:48

Last week Save-a-lot had ground turkey on for $0.99/lb I bought 20#

I took out 8# and semi thawed it and ground it with 2# of beef fat from a brisket I had trimmed

Added spices and stuffed into 19 mm collagen cases

linking into individual stix

into the smoker

all done

the recipe

Slim Jims

8 lbs.turkey 2 lbs. beef fat
5 Tbs. salt
2 tsp. cure
1 Tbs. white pepper, ground
1 Tbs. nutmeg
1 Tbs. celery seed, ground
1 Tbs. curry powder
1 1/2 Tbs. black pepper, ground
1 1/2 Tbs. garlic granules
2 Tbs. liquid smoke
1 cup milk powder
1 cup ice water

Grind meat through fine plate, mix with spices well. Stuff into 19 mm. collagen casings, tie into 8" links. Put in smoker( no smoke) to dry at 130 F for an hour, continue to smoke at 150 F for 3 hrs with heavy smoke, and slowly increase smoker temp to 175 F and smoke until internal temp of 152. Let cool in smoker.
Last edited by Big Guy on Sun Jan 15, 2012 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 17:51

Hi Big Guy,
Those look good pity we do not get much turkey here would like to give them a try.Did you buy some new kit or is it just to use while you are in Florida? :smile:
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Feb 14, 2011 18:08

They look fantastic. I had a couple 40 pound turkeys that I broke down and put in the freezer last fall. Looking for new ways to east turkey. Thanks Big Guy.

Dave Zac
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 21:48

Maz wrote:Hi Big Guy,
Those look good pity we do not get much turkey here would like to give them a try.Did you buy some new kit or is it just to use while you are in Florida? :smile:
yes I bought new stuff to play with while in Fl. I just couldn't go 5 months without making some sausage.
Last weekend I went to a pot luck supper and took a meat tray of my various sausages. People jumped the line and it was all gone before dinner was started. LOL
I need to make it down here as it seems to go fast. LOL
Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Salmonclubber » Wed Feb 16, 2011 02:28

Hey Big Guy
Good looking stix I am glad to see another guy here from smoked meat forums I just found this place a month or two ago it looks like a great place will be posting here more often in the future again great job on the stix may have to give them a try sometime
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 02:39

Nice job Big Guy, those stix really look good. I like the turkey idea :smile:
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Feb 17, 2011 03:12

That looks and SOUNDS great!

The wife is on a diet, so that means I am as well, which means this would be something I could make that would get her seal of approval! :lol:

Lately if I'm not making sausage for someone else I really don't get to have any of the good stuff! :mad:

I may try this on Saturday!

Thanks for the recipe and I'll post pics if I get to do it!

Now, about homemade sausage not lasting long with folks. It's truly amazing to me just how many people have never had sausage(s) that were real and didn't have all of the other BS in them.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 06:31

Cranky Buzzzaard wrote:
It's truly amazing to me just how many people have never had sausage(s) that were real and didn't have all of the other BS in them.
Charlie, if you think that's true with fresh and smoke-cooked sausage, just wait until you start making "Dry-Cured" (fermented) type sausages! Wow. Most Americans have never tasted true European salamis or pepperonis. What a shame, because it is truly amazing stuff! Not at all like you see in the local grocery. Now, using Bactoferm, a home hobbyist may effectively and safely make his or her own VERY authentic fermented sausages. It's so easy, my lawyer could do it! :shock:

If you want to become "legendary" in your community, just start making a quality fermented sausage. The word will get around so quickly, you'll think someone is broadcasting the news that you know how to make it - "the right way."

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D