Venison

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Venison

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 02:17

Hi Vtek,
Thank you for opening this topic. I believe lots of sausage makers are going to post their secrets here for not only hunting (with photos), but also recipes for venison. Heck, who doesn't love the taste of great venison? We "deer hunters" appreciate a place to voice our opinions and techniques!
Thanks Vtek, and we hope you bagged your deer!
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 17:30

This is a copy of a beef tenderloin BBQ recipe, but I have made this with venison tenderloin, and turned out great! I throw in a couple of sweet potatoes on the hot coals 30 min before the venison loin goes in. I tend to like my BBQ meat more on the medium side, so I will leave the loin on the coals 10 min per side...

Venison Tenderloin Grilled In Cloth
Method: Roasting on the Embers
Serves: 1 hungry Cowboy
Ingredients:
1 center cut piece of venison tenderloin, meticulously trimmed of all fat and silver skin (about 8 inches long and weighing 12 to 16 ounces)
about 2 cups table salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Other Items Needed:
1 square piece of clean cotton cloth, 16 by 16 inches (an old-fashioned cloth diaper or piece of cotton sheet works well)
Directions:
What: Simply one of the coolest dishes on Planet Barbecue trimmed venison tenderloin crusted with perhaps a half pound of salt, wrapped in a cotton cloth, and charred on a bed of fiery embers. The result looks like a burnt log, but when you crack off the crust, some of the most tender, succulent venison tenderloin.
How: Roasting in the embers. You lay the wrapped roast on a bed of hot coals long enough to burn the cloth wrapping and salt into a hard black shell, but briefly enough to keep the meat inside medium-rare and tender. Note: if you have a gas grill, preheat it to screaming hot and char the wrapped venison on the grate. This won`t look quite as dramatic as yanking the burnt roll out the embers, but you`ll still get a great flavor.
Arrange the cotton cloth on your work surface on the diagonal (like a diamond), so that one corner points towards you. Spread the salt out on top of the cloth to form a layer (one quarter) inch thick that extends to within 1 inch of the edge of the cloth. Sprinkle the salt all over with oregano.

Place the venison tenderloin on top of the salt at the far end of the cloth it should run parallel to the center axis (and to your shoulders). Roll the cloth and salt around the tenderloin, starting in the far corner. The idea is to make a compact roll. Now take the points of cloth at each end of the resulting cylinder and tie them together on top of the tenderloin. The idea is to form a tight cylindrical packet. You should do this right before your charcoal or gas grill are ready.
Charcoal grill method: Light the coals in a chimney starter and rake them out into an even layer at the bottom of the grill. You will not need a grill grate. Lay the wrapped tenderloin right on the coals, knot side up. Grill for exactly 9 minutes. Using long handled tongs, gently turn the tenderloin package over and grill for exactly 8 minutes. Do not be alarmed if the cloth burns its meant to. In fact, the whole shebang should look about as appetizing as a fire-charred log.
Gas grill method: Preheat your grill as hot as it will go. You need a 2 Mississippi fire. There is no need to oil the grill grate. Arrange the cloth wrapped tenderloin on the grate, knot side up. Grill until the bottom is charred black, about 9 minutes. (The grill should be covered.) Turn the package over and grill until the other side is jet black, about 8 minutes.
Transfer the charred tenderloin to a metal platter and let rest for 2 minutes. Lift it with tongs.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 06:12

Wow Uwanna!
What a great recipe! I've done this with fish quite often, but never a tenderloin. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:
P.S. When I was a hundred years younger, at branding time we'd save all the steer's testicles in a bucket of cold water near the fire. After trimming them of their membranes, we'd toss them into the fire in the same fashion, along with a few spuds and ears of corn. YaaaHooo! Best eatin' on the planet!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D