[CAN] Canadian Country Sausage Recipe

steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

[CAN] Canadian Country Sausage Recipe

Post by steelchef » Wed Mar 09, 2011 07:38

Since Chuckwagon was brave enough to try this recipe I thought I would share it with y'all.

Canadian Country Sausage

3-1/2 lbs pork butt
1-1/2 lbs cured bacon
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp smoky paprika
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 tsp Frank`s or your favourite hot sauce
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup ice water

Trim fat with the aim of achieving a 25% - 75% ratio of fat to lean. Keep in mind that the bacon will add a lot of fat.
Grind the meat through a fine plate.
After grinding, add the seasonings and blend by hand or use a mixer. Be sure to mix thoroughly to ensure the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the meat. Do not be tempted to add salt or cure as the bacon will take care of that. (Unless your arteries need a little hardening up.)
Stuff into hog casings, making 4" - 5" links. If you wish, form patties. They make great breakfast sandwiches and `burgers.
Follow all proper procedures for hygiene and temperature control.

The original recipe is of unknown origin but I have changed it enough that there is little resemblance.
Last edited by steelchef on Thu Mar 10, 2011 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 08:32

Great recipe Steelchef! Tasty, tasty, tasty. :smile: I liked the combination of your spices but it was the celery seed and the Frank's liquid hot sauce that really gave it a kick. I made a batch of fresh (for burgers on the grill last evening) and also five pounds with a teaspoon of Cure #1 for stuffing into casings. Breakfast sausages :wink:
I'll recommend this one to anyone who wants to try it. Good sausage. Why not enter the "Sausage of the month" recipe with this one Colin? Just take a few photos of the process and win an autographed book!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D