[USA] Greek Linguiça recipe

jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Greek Linguiça recipe

Post by jbk101 » Wed May 11, 2011 09:26

Hey Forum Members,

While in Colorado my father-In-law talked about a sausage called "linguiça" from some research it is a Portuguese Sausage that my wife and father-in-law really like so I am thinking about making it! I am still looking for a recipe and was wondering if any of the forum members know of or have a recipe for linguiça sausage that they would be willing to share? I noticed that it is not listed as one of the sausages in the recipe section of the web site.
Thanks in advance,
John (jbk101)
Last edited by jbk101 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Linguiza Sausage

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14

Hi John,
How about lettin' me take a crack at that recipe? I think you'll like it.

[USA] Linguiza Portuguese Sausage

The folks at Sausage Mania sent this recipe to me. It`s a very simple recipe from a Portuguese tapas bar in San Francisco, near Fisherman's Wharf. It contains sherry (Spanish wine) rather than vinegar and the only spices are salt and paprika. Linguiza is made very coarsely ground often through a commercial 3/4" plate. Dry sherries give sausage an unpleasant, flat taste. Try Harvey`s Bristol Cream, which is rich, sweet and full-bodied. Linguiza is usually stuffed into hog casings and is quite different tasting than most other sausages. Some people say the taste is unique and takes a little getting used to.

● Ground pork: 1 lb.
● Coarse salt: 1/2 teaspoon
● Dark sherry: 2 ounces
● Paprika: 1-1/8 tablespoon

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu May 12, 2011 02:18

Would you recommend the smoked spanish paprika and if so the sweet or hot?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 12, 2011 03:04

Hi jbk101 and JerBear,
John asked if Linguisa is smoked. Yes, it is. And JerBear asked about paprika. Definately "Sweet Hungarian Paprika".
I`ve been looking through my files and found another "Linguisa" recipe. However, its origin is credited to the Greeks. I have NOT made this recipe yet. I`ve looked it over carefully and believe it is a good recipe, so, I`m posting it here for your reference. If you try it and survive, please write us back and let us know. We`d like to know about any hospital treatment, unexplained muscle twitching, or loss of equilibrium. :shock: If you suddenly begin to speak the Greek language, we`ll know it is authentic! :lol: I wish I could tell you where I acquired this recipe but I simply cannot remember. I probably picked it up somewhere during the Civil War or at the battle of the Alamo. All kidding aside, many people in the county I hail from, are of Greek decent. They are wonderful people and intelligent too (they elected me didn`t they!). I`m sure it is an authentic recipe. Why not give it a try? Notice the two different textures of the meat. I`m certain this makes the final product very interesting. I`ve "touched up" the directions just a bit to eliminate any confusion in processing.

"[USA] Greek Linguisa"
Smoked Greek Sausage

10 lbs. pork butt
2 tspns. Prague Powder #1 (USA)
4-1/2 Tblspns (1.8%) salt
2 tblspns. sweet Hungarian paprika
1 tblspn. garlic powder
1 tspn. coriander
1 tspn. red pepper flakes
1 tblspn. sugar
1 tspn. powdered ginger
2 tspns. black pepper
2 cups soy protein concentrate
5 oz. Greek Xinomavro wine (or good Italian red burgundy)
1 cup ice water

Grind the pork using your largest plate. (1/2 inches is ideal but 3/8" will suffice). Mix all the meat together and knead it to develop the proteins. Place the cure into the cup of icewater and stir the mixture evenly throughout the meat. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to mix the meat until a sticky meat paste is developed and shows "soft peaks" when pulled apart. Stuff into 36 m.m. hog casings and place 5 inch links on smokesticks inside a preheated smoker at 150°;F. (66°;C.) with the dampers open. When the sausage appears to be dry to the touch after thirty or forty minutes, raise the smokehouse temperature gradually (only a couple of degrees every ten to fifteen minutes) to 160°;F. (71°C.) introducing light smoke for an hour. After an hour, raise the smoker temperature once more to 165°;F. (74°;C) while continuing the smoke if desired. When the sausages reach the internal meat temperature of 150°; F. (66°;C.), shower them with cold water until they drop to room temperature. Refrigerate the sausage as this is a smoked-cooked product, not a dry-cured sausage.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Thu May 12, 2011 06:45

Chuckwagon
Thanks for the recipe update! This one looks very similar to some that I have seen posted on the internet. Only a couple of different ingredients and the ones I have seen when I searched don`t call for smoking or state that it`s optional.
I am going to try yours but in a scaled down version since I`m not sure if I want to make about 10lbs. of a sausage that I have never tried (My wife and farther-in-law says its good). I will differently let you know how it goes. And if you don`t mind I will probably run the scaled down recipe past you for a double check.
Thanks again,
John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 15, 2011 08:44

JBK, you wrote:
And if you don`t mind I will probably run the scaled down recipe past you for a double check.
Anytime my friend, glad to help if I am able. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Linguica

Post by Salmonclubber » Sun May 15, 2011 17:19

Today I did a batch of Linguisa i made Chuckwagon's greek linguica I used some homemade apple wine that was made by a buddy of mine this is an ok sausage I will not be making it again I have done better it smells great but the taste is different
I made this for a buddy he enjoyed the sausage but agrees I have and do make a better sausage

here are the pics

jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sun May 15, 2011 21:40

Salmonclubber

The picks look good! I am wondering if the apple wine and spice mixture called for in the recipe might have affected the final taste of the sausage. From my research all the recipes that I have come across call for a sweet red wine or sherry which normally is a vast difference in flavor profile from an apple wine?
Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Salmonclubber » Sun May 15, 2011 23:44

that could be the problem i am not much of a wine guy and you can really taste the wine in this sausage its not bad i just dont care for it I gave some to some friends and they liked it and it is better heated up so i will be throwing some of it on the bbq
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 16, 2011 03:54

Hi Salmonclubber,
I`m sure glad someone else tried this recipe before I did. Apparently you have not sustained cardiac problems or respiratory distress, but may have suffered some other side effects eh?
Wow, if I get brave, I`ll probably cut the paprika down to one teaspoon, (two at the most), coriander down to ½ teaspoon, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon cumin, and about ½ teaspoon of ginger. Very sweet wines don`t make good sausage. And too much will unravel (denature) proteins like crazy. The Greek Xinomavro leaves a taste reminiscent of tomatoes. Any very dry red would work just fine. Thanks for trying this recipe. I`m sorry you didn`t like it much. Although I`ve not tried this one, I just had to post it even though I could see it was "loaded". The Greek sausages are pretty spicy. If this stuff gives you heartburn all night long, I`ll ship you up a huge bottle of Tums!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Salmonclubber » Tue May 17, 2011 00:25

so far everyone I let try this sausage like it so I will try the other recipe at a later date and will post then