[S.AFR.] Boerewors - South African

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

[S.AFR.] Boerewors - South African

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 19:25

The Boerewors recipe is one where every sausage maker has added their own preferences on spices, but in general they are all similar to the recipe below. Some people also prefer changing the 50/50 ratio of Beef and Pork.
I have copy / pasted the recipe that I have added notes to over the months.
There are far more experienced Home sausage makers than I am, and thus some of the notes were for my beginners` stage reference only, as well as some people I shared the recipe with previously that were beginners as well.
One more thought, grilling Boerewors and meat in South Africa is referred to as a "braai", have a braai and everyone knows you are going to have Boerewors, Steak and maybe Lamb Chops.
When you invite people for a braai, it also includes that very important ingredient "beer". Not for the sausage, it`s for the person and friends doing the braai! :grin:

Boerewors goes along with salads, a potato bake or really anything normally had with a cookout.
I enjoy having it with a dish called "Krummel Pap" (translated = crumbly porridge) made from medium ground corn. (it is not the same cooked texture as grits) It is made with a little water, crumbled and steamed on low heat until done.
Another way to enjoy Boerewors is to set it in a Hoagie Roll (or any long shaped bread roll), then topped with fried Onions and Tomatoes (similar to how we eat the Brats here on Game day)

The recipe:-

Boerewors Recipe
INGREDIENTS
3 lb Beef (Chuck)
3 lb Pork (Picnic)
1/2 to 1 lb bacon (or bacon ends) *
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp salt (Adobo without Pepper) **
1 tsp ground pepper
2 Tbsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground allspice (e.g. Publix complete seasoning)
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Hog casing 29 to 32 mm

METHOD
After cutting the meat and bacon, keep the meat cold*.
Grind the meat using a medium-coarse grinding plate. I used course on my last batch.
The coriander seeds are heated lightly in a pan, and then course ground. Mix all spices in after grinding meat.

Fill the sausage casings firmly, but not too tightly with the meat mixture.
Refrigerate for 24 hours before using.

Notes
1) Instacure #1 is optional, I do not use it in Boerewors since it is fresh sausage and cooked on the grill (indirect).
2) I do prepare the brined casing with fresh water 1 day before, then 1 hour before stuffing I add 1 tablespoon white vinegar for every 2 to 3 cups water.
3) (*) The recipe above was modified to reduce the fat content, when grilling I am careful not to overcook the sausage.
4) Boerewors is usually sold as a "rope" sausage, i.e. not tied into links. I vacuum-pack and freeze mine in 1 lb portions. I keep it in the 1 lbs portion when grilling and cut the sausage after grilling.
5) (**) The original recipe had regular salt as ingredient, by personal taste preference I use Adobo. It lends to a different flavor. When using regular salt, the quantity above (2 tbsp) should be reduced to perhaps 1-1/2 tbsp, depending on personal preference.

*Edited by Chuckwagon upon request of author (Bubba) 7.10.11@1738
Last edited by Bubba on Sun Nov 27, 2011 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 19:40

Boerewors

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 10, 2011 20:33

"After cutting the meat and bacon, keep refrigerated, meat should not cool down."

This line in your recipe I don't understand. I should think that the meat should be kept cold.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jul 10, 2011 21:10

Welcome Bubba and thanks for the recipe. It's great to have folks share recipes from their homeland and their family and friends make it.

This is going on my list to try soon!

Dave Zac
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 22:02

Dave, please let me know when you've made some, and how you enjoyed it?

ssorllih wrote:"After cutting the meat and bacon, keep refrigerated, meat should not cool down."

This line in your recipe I don't understand. I should think that the meat should be kept cold.
:oops: ssorllih, my apology. It was a copy paste from my recipe and I only saw the confusing statement now. Tried to fix it but can't since 1 hour has passed after the posting.
Yes, as you said the meat has to be kept cold.

The note originated after my first or second batch, when I did not keep the meat cold enough.
botterenwors

Post by botterenwors » Sat Feb 09, 2013 13:56

I'm a South African and I make boerewors since I was kid when I helped my grandfather in his butchery. Original boerewors was made of only a few ingredients. The old boers (farmers) did not have a supply of many ingredients. The basics of boerewors ingredients is meat, salt, coriander seed, pepper(black or white), cloves, nutmeg and brown grape vinegar or red wine vinegar.

The meat can be of beef, lamb, pork or venison, or a combination of it. It depends on what is available and your budget. All the membranes and tendons should be removed from the meat.

I like to stuff the meat into the casings the same time I grind the it, this is the way my grandpa used to do it. The less you handle the mince the better. The sausage should be loosely stuffed. Pull the casing of the tube rather than let the mince push it off. The meat should be kept bellow 4 °C at all times.

The coriander seeds should be scorch in a pan until it is brown. Stir constantly to prevent coriander seeds from burning.

You may add ingredients like Worcestershire sauce, allspice and cayenne pepper.

Here is my recipe
INGREDIENTS
2.5 Kg (5.5 lb) Beef
2.5 Kg (5.5 lb) Pork
0.5 Kg (1 lb) Bacon(the hard fat bellow the skin of pork)
3 Tbsp salt
3 Tbsp Coarsely ground coriander seed
1 tsp Coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Finely ground cloves(not more)
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
Hog casings

METHOD
Mix all the dry spices together.
Cut the meat into cubes so it will fit into your grinder.
Spread the meat on a table.
Shake the spices evenly over the meat.
Spray the vinegar over the meat.
Mix it all very well together.
Put it in a refrigerator for at least 4 hours but preferably 24 hours.
Grind the meat through a 6 mm(1/4") plate, at the same time use the correct size tube to stuff the mince into the casings.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 09, 2013 15:33

Welcome to the forum Botterenwors and thank you for the recipe and the method. Sausage is such a wonderful way to use the bits and pieces of an animal that would otherwise be a challange to use in cooking.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 19:51

Botterenwors,
Welcome to the forum. Just let us have have all the recipes you are willing to part with.
Dankie vir jou ou familie resep.
Jan.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Feb 10, 2013 01:52

Welcome Botterenwors. Like Crusty said, dankie vir jou ou familie resep.

I was born in South Africa, and have been in the US for 14 years now.

This is a fun forum where we share all our experiences, bunch of awesome and very experienced members here that help a lot with any questions.
Ron