[USA] Dinner Sausages At Oraibi

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 05:02

It has been said John Wesley Powell understood the western United States better than anyone. During his second exploration of the Green River, he and his men visited the Pueblo Indians at the province of Tsuyan (pronounced "sue-yawn") on the south rim of the Grand Canyon in October 1870. As he entered the streets of Oraibi, (pronounced ore-eye-bee), the Pueblo "cacique" (chief) invited him to dine inside his kiva.

Dinner was delicious! Goat stew was served in pottery bowls with "piki", a bread of colorful paper-thin layers, cooked upon hot rocks. Melons and peaches were served as dessert, but most impressive were the little sausages of ground goat meat steamed inside cornhusks. Powell's men couldn't get enough of the tasty morsels and enjoyed them throughout the entire week before discovering how the goat meat was minced. The Indian women simply masticated or "pre-chewed" the goat meat before cooking it! :shock:

Today, in place of the cornhusks, use a thin steamed wrapper to encase the sausage. Certain ingredients have been "updated".

The Dough:
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup of boiling water
1 tblspn. bacon drippings

The Filling:
1 lb. ground pork (or pre-chewed goat)
2 tblspns, sherry
1 tspn. freshly grated ginger
1/2 tspn. white pepper
1/2 tspn. sugar with 1/4 tspn. MSG
1 tblspn. chopped onion
1 eggwhite mixed with 1 tblspn. cornstarch
2 cloves crushed garlic

Make the dough by mixing the ingredients, kneading it a bit, and allowing it to rest 20 minutes while you prepare the filling. Roll out teaspoon-size balls of dough into flattened 3" circles using the side of a chef's knife or Chinese clever, in a sliding motion. Gather up the sides around one teaspoon of the filling to form little "cache" bags. Simply steam the dumplings for 15 minutes over high heat. I certainly hope you try J.W. Powell's "Pre-Chewed Sausages".

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:39

CW
Hmm interesting, here all this time I thought I needed a meat grinder. I could have just put the wife and kids to work grinding meat for salamis :wink:
This does sound interesting, I will have to give it a try.
Thanks.
Wally
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:45

An ol' Greek chef once told me that anytime you put garlic, sherry, and ginger together in anything... it's going to be a winner! :lol: The Chinese folks have known it for centuries.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 14, 2011 16:57

I made this last night for supper. Followed the recipe exactly except I added some salt to the meat mix. I steamed them in small batches. They are very good but When I make them next I believe that I will poach them in a spicy soup instead of steaming them. The wrapping recipe is standard pasta so it should use Durum flour instead of all purpose flour. Today I am heating a few in some pasta sauce for my lunch.
Ross- tightwad home cook