[USA] "Viennas Veneno y Asqueroso de Vaqueros"

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] "Viennas Veneno y Asqueroso de Vaqueros"

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 09:39

"Viennas Veneno y Asqueroso de Vaqueros" :shock:
(Cowboy`s Poison & Disgusting Vienna Sausage)
(Made With "Imitation Veal")

My extended ranching family of Swiss renegades, banditos, and rustlers has always liked sausage from the old country and especially neighboring Austria. You know...Vienna Sausage! However, we have always chosen to avoid the purchase of veal, protesting the treatment of the animal from which it comes. So, what do folks like us use in place of veal? Buttermilk-soaked pork cutlets of course! Shucks, I learned that trick from King Louis XIV when I was just a child during the renaissance. People tell me milk-soaked pork is very much like veal. Buttermilk has a pH ranging from 4.41 - 4.83 due to its slightly acidic nature which tenderizes pork when refrigerated overnight.

4 lbs. (1.8 kg) lean beef
4 lbs. (l.8 kg) pork tenderloin
2 lbs. (907 g.) trimmed pork shoulder
1 pint (473 ml.) icewater
3 oz. (85 g.) kosher salt
6 tblspns. (40 g.) Fat Replacer™
1-1/2 cups (180 g.) soy protein concentrate
1 tspn. (2 g.) ground nutmeg
1 tspn. (2 g.) ground coriander
1/2 tspn. (1 g.) ground cardamom
1/4 tspn. (.5 g.) ground cloves
2 oz. (57 g.) rye flour
1 oz. (28 g.) powdered dextrose
2 tspns. (10 g.) Cure #1
22-24 m.m. sheep casings

Dice 4 lbs. of pork tenderloin and soak it in buttermilk overnight in a covered container in your refrigerator eight to twelve hours. Next day, cube the remaining beef and pork and grind all the meat using a 3/8" plate. Stir the cure #1 into the water for uniform dispersal. Have a chilled lug ready (five minutes inside your freezer will do the trick) and place the meat in it with the salt and spices. Add the flour, protein concentrate, fat replacer, and dextrose, pour the cure-water over the mixture, and then loosely mix everything with your hands for a few minutes. Cover the sausage and place it into the refrigerator overnight.
Next day, use a processor or your new Kirby chopper to emulsify the meat very well. Add more icewater if necessary and whip the slightly-thinned mixture full of air.

Hang the sausages on smokesticks and dry them while you pre-heat your smoker to 170°F. (77°C.). Place the sausages in the smokehouse and open the dampers slightly while you introduce light smoke. When the internal meat temperature reaches 150°F. (66°C.), shower the sausages with cold water. (Do not allow these sausages to reach the IMT of 165° or more.) For best flavor, refrigerate the Vienna sausages 24 hours before eating them.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Jul 07, 2012 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
btedeski
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btedeski » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:45

Fat Replacer™

that is a new one to me, what is and were would I purchase?

Bill
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:57

Hi Bill,
Fat Replacer is a product made by the Sausagemaker™ in Buffalo, New York. It is made of natural products and I've used it for quite a few years now, ever since it came out. It is made of Konjac flour (from a plant root), xanthan gum (fermented glucose), and microcrystalline cellulose (cellulose from plants). In the Sausagemaker's recipe, I would guess that the microcellulose is from oats, but I'm not sure. Fat Replacer simulates the "creamy" mouthfeel of fat and can be used in everything from grilled burgers to dry-cured salami. Almost no calories and affordable. It`s a cholesterol fighter and it is USDA approved. One half pound will treat 60 pounds of meat. Good stuff as far as I know.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Jul 07, 2012 16:19

Are you choosing to add the Fat Replacer to actually replace fat in the recipe or more for the texture/mouthfeel qualities it adds?

Would you ever consider adding it to an existing recipe our would you want to modify the recipe to lower the fat level first?
btedeski
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btedeski » Sat Jul 07, 2012 16:50

I normally add pork fat to venison for burgers, would this be a good substitute?

I have to watch my cholesterol and weight.

Bill
btedeski
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btedeski » Sat Jul 07, 2012 16:58

I found it on sausagemaker, CKX-Fat Raplacer

here is a link back to the manufacture, I am going try this on the next batch of sausage

http://www.gumtech.com/products/Product ... 20Replacer

Bill
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jul 07, 2012 17:21

I'd also be interested in trying this stuff. But the brochures do not state whether it is gluten-free. Probably because of the content in the cellulose. If made from pure oats it probably would be OK, but might also contain other plant matter. I will email the manufacturer and clarify.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Jul 07, 2012 19:17

The only question about the oats is where they processed in a facility with wheat. I guess you'd have to decide your tolerance level.