[CAN] Goose Pepperoni

redzed

[CAN] Goose Pepperoni

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 22, 2014 17:54

Last weekend I made 10kg of goose and pork pepperoni. Used 4.5 kg Canada Goose breasts, 4.5 kg pork butt and 1kg fat. Suffed half into 38mm collagen "pepperoni" casings and half into 22 collagen. I bought the 38mm casings from the Sausagemaker but am not happy with them. After a day of drying the meat shrunk a but but the casing did not at all. So for aesthetic reasons I peeled it of. The pepperoni is OK, the sticks will be good to snack on and the larger diameter should work well on pizza.

Goose breasts, pork shoulder and fat cubed, salted, cured and partially frozen, ready for grinding.

First run through 12mm plate

Second run through 4.5 mm plate.

With spices and FLC, ready for stuffing

After 24 hours of fermentation

Used smoker to ferment at 85 to 90F. (I am annoyed by the fact that I can't read the temp in Celcius.) All vents were closed off and the smoker has a very tight seal on the doors, so it held the temperature and humidity at 90%, very efficiently.

Last edited by redzed on Mon Jun 23, 2014 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Mar 22, 2014 18:36

(I am annoyed by the fact that I can't read the temp in Celsius.)

That's funny Chris, I'm annoyed by the fact there even is a thing called Celsius. :lol: Your pepperoni looks fantastic! It just sits in the Pro 100 at 90°, no smoke? I can see I'm going to have to obtain some FLC and give this a shot, I make a lot of pizza these days. Would you think going up to a 42mm collagen casing would be OK? How do you know when the pepperoni is done? I just got a couple of bags of 22mm sheep casings so I'd definitely be interested in making some pepperoni sticks at the same time. What's the spice breakdown? Don't you just love all these questions? I'll stop bugging you and go see what Rytec has to say about all this.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:36

Wow Red,
There's not much wrong with that batch! Lookin' good... Lookin' good! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 23, 2014 07:44

Ray, this is a fully cooked pepperoni. And in fact it is, for the most part, Rytek's recipe. I adjusted the capsicum a bit and cut the soy protein in half. If there is one one thing that I have an issue with Rytek's recipes is the amount of soy and skim milk he includes. After fermenting in the smoker for 24hrs I took out the water pan and opened up the vents, and set the temp to 110F for about 4 hrs. Next I brought up the temp to 130 and smoked the pepperoni for about 2.5 hours. Raised the temp to 150 and then to 175. Took the pepperoni out when the IT was 150F. the sticks were finished in just over 4 hours and the larger diameter sausage around 6 hours. Ingredients are below. I would say that it is somewhere on the mild to medium heat side, so you could easily give it more heat if you like.

Recipe for kg
4.5 kg. wild goose breasts
4.5 kg #2 pork
1 kg fat
18g salt
2g cure #1
25g sweet paprika
25g Mexican hot chili powder
6g crushed red chili flakes
20g toasted and ground fennel
40 juniper berries, coarsely ground
25g dextrose
35g corn syrup solids
130g (1 cup) soy protein
40g sodium erythorbate
splash of red wine (good excuse to crack open a bottle)
2tsp Bactoferm FLC starter
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Mar 23, 2014 09:27

Thanks a lot Chris, I'm going to give this a shot very soon. I have to obtain the FLC and the sodium erythorbate (what ever the hell they are) and be on my way to another fun project. I really don't have room for a dry cure chamber, but I do make a lot of pizza from scratch, so aside from salami I'll pretty much have things covered by what I make myself. It's amazing to me that my sisters pay over $30 to have a Round Table pizza delivered when I make something right along the same line for six bucks. Of course I'm into kitchen hygiene and their pizza is being built by a nose-picking high school kid, Go figure. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Mar 23, 2014 09:52

A little side note. When my baby sis told me she liked ham & pineapple pizza from RT and that it was delivered to her door for just over $30, I asked her if the ham was as tasty as the Canadian bacon I'd given her. She being a intelligent attorney, she said of course mine was far superior. I think I'll make a pizza tomorrow, or another corned beef, I just don't know. Geez it's great to be us! What the hell do people who don't know how to cook have to look forward to or take any pride in? To eat is to exist, to cook well is to live! RAY
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 23, 2014 17:28

Ray the sdium erythorbate is really not necessary. I used it because I had it, but it does help with achieving a nice red colour. Another American style pepperoni to try is Marianski's http://www.meatsandsausag...peroni-semi-dry and if you want some with kick to it CW has one here http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=3445#3445.

Your comment about preparing your own food came just after a friend sent me the following article.
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/20 ... 77158.html