[USA] South Georgia Mortadella aka Goober Bologna

Butterbean

[USA] South Georgia Mortadella aka Goober Bologna

Post by Butterbean » Sat May 31, 2014 17:49

Basically what I did was make mortadella and beef bologna but with the bologna I added peanuts to the emulsion at the end. I used a low salt peanut for fear of adding too much salt but I think regular salted peanuts would have worked fine.

In conclusion, I'd highly recommend the use of peanuts. I actually prefer them over the pistachios because they have more firmness once cooked than the pistachios and give an interesting experience when you bite finds one suspended in the meat.

Last edited by Butterbean on Mon Jun 23, 2014 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 31, 2014 18:44

Good job, looks wholesome and quite appetizing! And you have a product where you know what's in it. Same thing can not be said about the meat goop sold in supermarkets. Would sure like a few slices for a sandwich!
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sun Jun 01, 2014 03:34

That's a great idea to use peanuts. Adapting recipe and flavors to suit your tastes and adapt to locally available ingredients is the mark of an inspired culinary pragmatist, at least.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 03:56

Joe, you ol' sourdough biscuit! You've done it again. That stuff looks marvelous. What a great idea to put peanuts into the mixture. Say, have you ever tried frying a slice or two? Yikes! I'd put a slice between two pieces of toast with some mayo, lettuce, and a hint of mustard. :razz:
Nice goin' pal. I'll bet our friend "Grasshopper" Mike would walk clear down to your place just to munch on that sandwich! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 01, 2014 04:41

I was raised on fried bologna sandwiches. Good stuff. The dry roasted peanuts are really good. We sliced some of the meat really thin tonight and made subs out of them. Everyone loved the peanuts and once warmed the flavor really came out in the meat.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 01, 2014 07:44

To date, I have never had the opportunity to eat fried baloney. So if I go and buy a couple of slices, what do I do?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:53

uhh..... fry it. Image
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 01, 2014 14:54

Its also helpful to cut a small slit from the center to one side to keep the bologna from bulging out.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sun Jun 01, 2014 17:27

Unless you're making bologna cups on purpose, in which case you shouldn't slit them. You know, so you can fill them with cheese grits, and top with a fried egg. A couple of those and some buttered toast makes a good breakfast.

You can fill with mashed potatoes and top with gravy for dinner, too.
vstyn

Post by vstyn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 00:08

question

was the mortadella made with bologna a recipe. If you look at Rytek Kutas recipe he put wine in the recipe
and no nuts.
I need to learn dry sausage
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Jun 25, 2015 01:14

Hats off to you Butterbean! Any mortadella experimentation is worthy of praise and this one sounds like a winner. I'm sure whatever formula you used is great but
I just want to let folks know that Norcal Kid's formula on this site is excellent.

Cheers from a mort addict,
Jeff

PS - I remain loyal to your braunschweiger recipe. Just made some.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jun 27, 2015 00:30

vstyn wrote:question

was the mortadella made with bologna a recipe. If you look at Rytek Kutas recipe he put wine in the recipe
and no nuts.
I believe I used Michael Ruhlman's recipe only I substituted fox grape wine for the white wine he called for.