Smoked Ham - Kassler

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Smoked Ham - Kassler

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 17, 2011 15:19

This was my weekend's project, I have made brined - smoked Ham before to a Kassler recipe. I am posting the recipe below, :lol: my Grandmother or any other Family member claiming to be my family (*) has no say in this one after conquering all the hurdles myself to render a fine tasting Kassler Ham.
(*) Bubba's disclaimer :grin:

The beginnings.....

the 2-1/2 day brine soak begins

In the smoker....

nearing the end in the smoker

The final result

The Brine consists of:-
1 gallon water
1-1/2 cups kosher salt
1-1/4 cups sugar
2-3/4 Tbsp Instacure #1
1 tsp dried sage leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 Tbsp juniper berries (substitute Gin)
1 tsp. coriander ground
1/2 Tbsp Garlic cloves

I did inject the meat with the Brine as well.
Ron
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Sun Jul 17, 2011 17:05

looking good !!!

have you tried to smoke it with cold smoke , 5 times 6-8 hrs ? one day on one off
sliced paperthin , oh yummy ,that is then called LACHSSCHINKEN

great job !!!! :mrgreen:
siggi
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 17, 2011 17:38

Hi Siggi,

Thank you, and as soon as I can get a second smoker set up for cold smoke, I would like to try the Lachsschinken.
One hurdle with my Smoker at the moment is keeping the temperature down below 160 to 170 deg F, and then I have to keep an eye on it regulary. For everything else on higher temps it works great.
With the second smoker I will solve that problem by being able to apply cold smoke.

Regards
Ron
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 17, 2011 17:56

You start with a loin?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 17, 2011 18:08

Hi ssorllih,

Yes I started with Loin, and the butcher trimmed most of the fat.

Regards

Ron
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 17, 2011 18:55

Don't let the butcher keep that fat you will need it for sausage. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 22:01

Bubba wrote:
I did inject the meat with the Brine as well.
Glad to hear that Bubba! :wink: Injecting is a "must" with only 2-1/2 days brining.
Rytek and Stan both recommend about 10% by weight.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 23:13

Bubba, looks like you made "Canadian Bacon", with a few extras. Finished product looks good!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Jul 18, 2011 01:41

ssorllih wrote:Don't let the butcher keep that fat you will need it for sausage.
:smile: It's in the Freezer and has "sausage" written all over the pack. But, yes, I had to remind him to sell it to me.
Chuckwagon wrote:Injecting is a "must" with only 2-1/2 days brining.
Rytek and Stan both recommend about 10% by weight.
I bought Rytek Kutas book on "Great Sausage recipes and Meat curing" (4th Ed) a while back, and it has been a mine of information. Before buying his book I looked at Bookstores and could not find a book that would teach me what I lacked on experience. It was through his book that I managed to venture on the Kassler project with confidence.
The next thankful access to information was when I found this forum, there are many experienced members here, many more topics I will read, but so far it has also helped me a lot.
And I appreciate that very much.
unclebuck wrote:looks like you made "Canadian Bacon", with a few extras.
Thank you Unclebuck, I eyed and bought the Canadian Bacon a few times and the similarity is close. When ever I'm in Atlanta, I make a point of frequenting a Butcher there who makes and sells good European products. I went as far as buying some of their Kassler, then found good quality Canadian bacon at another store to compare the taste here at home.
Ron
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 06:07

Bubba,

That looks really good ! I am about to do Kassler, was this one better ? I what way ? What you call Instacure is Prague No 1 , is it ?
Regards,
Gus
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Oct 12, 2011 13:47

snagman wrote:I am about to do Kassler, was this one better ? I what way ? What you call Instacure is Prague No 1 , is it ?
Hi Gus,

Prague # 1 is what I call Instacure # 1 yes.
I liked the Kassler flavor and texture, and if you have another recipe I'd like to have a look at that as well.
Around here I cannot find Juniper berries and so I go scratching in "that cabinet" for some Gin. :lol:
To smoke I used Beech wood, just my personal preference.
During summer time my smoker runs a bit too hot, I was trying to keep the temp to about 160 - 170 F, but sometimes it crept up. Now that the cooler days are here I will brine and smoke some more, and this time try it with a Boston butt.
This is the reason I am looking at building my own smoker per the other topic I am following with interest.

Regards
Ron
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 12, 2011 14:29

Juniper berries may be harvested from the low growing bushy junipers used for landscaping around homes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 05:31

Bubba wrote:
snagman wrote:I am about to do Kassler, was this one better ? I what way ? What you call Instacure is Prague No 1 , is it ?
Hi Gus,

Prague # 1 is what I call Instacure # 1 yes.
I liked the Kassler flavor and texture, and if you have another recipe I'd like to have a look at that as well.
Around here I cannot find Juniper berries and so I go scratching in "that cabinet" for some Gin. :lol:
To smoke I used Beech wood, just my personal preference.
During summer time my smoker runs a bit too hot, I was trying to keep the temp to about 160 - 170 F, but sometimes it crept up. Now that the cooler days are here I will brine and smoke some more, and this time try it with a Boston butt.
This is the reason I am looking at building my own smoker per the other topic I am following with interest.

Regards
Ron
Hi Ron,

That recipe looks very good to me, I am giving it a red hot go ! I will be making only one addition to the brine, a couple of ground bayleaves, for their subtle contribution. I will be cold smoking two, together with a couple of brined speck. I will do a serious report on the use of ice in the smoker, didn't get around to it the other day. And, double smoked as well, starting with apple, then mesquite pellets. I wish beech pellets were available, that is such a great smoke flavour. Neighbours will be pleased !

Regards,
Gus
Did you go direct from the brine into the smoker ?
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Thu Oct 13, 2011 07:27

Few photos of similar product from our polish forum.
Below cold smoked pork loin by @gasmil
ImageImage
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/viewtopic ... 280#189280

This one by @ligawa:
Image Image
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/wedzonki/poledw ... owa-ligawy
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 09:14

Hi Siara, Beautiful photos! Look at the smoke ring in Ligawa's loin. And Gasmil's pork loin is so full of moisture, I can taste it from here. I just took a couple from my smoker this afternoon and cut into one. Smoked 'em with alder and cherry combination. I had injected and brine-cured them with "Siara's" brine (see chart at: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/roboczy/tab ... wania4.htm) and it turned out super moist also. What a flavor! A couple of thin slices on a crescent roll with just a dab of mustard... wow!
Now that kind of sandwich is so good it could make your mouth sass a wolf! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D