Fibrous Casing Questions

workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Fibrous Casing Questions

Post by workingpoor » Fri Dec 07, 2012 04:56

I am posting this question because this is the first time that I have used this type of casing.

I purchased a synthetic fibrous casing to make some pepperoni. (http://www.sausagemaker.com/26000mahoga ... 238mm.aspx)
I typically use beef middle but I wanted to try these. After fermenting and a week of hanging I am noticing that the casing is not shrinking with the meat. It is kind of saggy like an old womans skin. Is this normal? I also had some surface mold during fermentation which is a first for me and am not sure if it is connected or not.

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks
-andy
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 08:13

Hey Andy,

I assume you soaked the casings well prior to stuffing, and that you stuffed them very tightly. Those are the two watchpoints for using those in my experience.
If it became saggy like on old man's skin, then everything is ok :mrgreen:

Regards, Gus
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 09:49

Andy ol' pard,
If you want a casing to shrink with the meat, use "protein-lined" casing. It is especially made for that purpose, and boy-o-boy does it stick to the meat!
Synthetic fibrous casing is made for strength. You can really stuff 'em with a lot of pressure. I use them all the time, but they won't shrink with a dry-cured product.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Fri Dec 07, 2012 14:47

Thanks guys.