Storing Prosciutto

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Storing Prosciutto

Post by nuynai » Fri Oct 21, 2016 15:11

This was my first attempt at the above. I was just watching as a friend who made it before was doing them. It was a learning experience that I'll fine tune. They're deboning them, vac sealing and freezing them for storage. I don't see the need to freeze but the vac sealing and deboning, I can accept. Just wondering if anyone can chime in with how you store yours to preserve it at the peak of flavor and not dry out any more or getting a saltier taste. Watching various shows in Italy, they leave them whole but it's at a restaurant where they would go thru one quicker than I would. Thanks in advance.
PS- they didn't use a cure but mine were done with cure #2.
Last edited by nuynai on Wed Oct 26, 2016 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Storing prosiutto

Post by BriCan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 04:28

nuynai wrote:This was my first attempt at the above. I was just watching as a friend who made it before was doing them. It was a learning experience that I'll fine tune. They're deboning them, vac sealing and freezing them for storage. I don't see the need to freeze but the vac sealing and deboning, I can accept. Just wondering if anyone can chime in with how you store yours to preserve it at the peak of flavor and not dry out any more or getting a saltier taste. Watching various shows in Italy, they leave them whole but it's at a restaurant where they would go thru one quicker than I would. Thanks in advance.
PS- they didn't use a cure but mine were done with cure #2.
No need to freeze, I have never but some might say its safer :???: -- My last one was vacuum packed and laster close to ten years -- every so often I would open up and share then re-vacuum pack -- flavour improves with age