Salame Calabrese

SMR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SMR » Tue Nov 20, 2018 20:32

Redzed, the flavor of the Calabrese is phenomenal! Very happy with the results. Next time I will use butt for the Class I meat fraction as mentioned by Bob K.

Here is the finished product at 35% weight loss.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Nov 21, 2018 16:53

Looks good!! Next time I would suggest slowing down the drying time, it will help to reduce the dry rim and improve the flavor and color. Under 4 weeks is rather fast, also the center won't be as soft. You can also try drying a few chubs until a 40-42% loss, a lot of folks find the texture to be optimum at that point, myself included.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 22, 2018 02:45

Good job, you should be proud! And I agree with Bob about drying it a bit longer. It looks quite lean so it could lose a bit more moisture. Vac packing for a few weeks will also help to lessen the dark ring around the salami. And I'm glad you like the recipe, it's now one my favourites.
SMR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SMR » Fri Nov 23, 2018 14:26

Thanks guys, I agree with the comments about going a little dryer. I will do that next time. Also, I tried to maintain the humidity at about 3% lower than what the sausages were giving off. Something I saw in Maranski's book. I think I developed the surface ring due to air recirculation. I have a variable speed fan and I dropped it to its lowest setting as the sausages were aging, but I think the air flow rate was still too high at the lowest setting. Next time I will turn the fan off or better yet, put it on a cycle timer.

Next up Coppa with some of those Calabrian peppers in the mix.
SMR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SMR » Sat Jan 05, 2019 23:17

I took redzed's advice and vac sealed the salame calabrese for a few weeks to allow the moisture remaining within the sausage to equalize and it did reduce the dry ring around the perimeter. I then removed them from the vac packs and followed BobK's advice and dried them from 35% as prescribed in the recipe to 42%. December 9th until January 5th @ 54F and 80%RH. The texture of the salame is much improved. Thanks for the suggestions!

SMR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SMR » Sat Jan 05, 2019 23:20

And, I have installed a cycle timer on my circulation fan to reduce the rate of drying. I have the fan now running for 5 minutes every 72 minutes around the clock. The timer has 20 programmable intervals. The Coppas are coming along nicely.